Close
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Default Decrease latency substantially

I went from 260ms to 127ms latency - you have to try this... I've never seen sub 200 on KJ either....

Anyone else care to post their experience with this?

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html

"Leatrix Latency Fix removes the acknowledgement bundling process so that an acknowledgement is sent immediately for every segment that's received. This produces a significant reduction in latency as there is no longer a delay before new data is sent to your computer.

In a normal networking environment, you would prioritise network efficiency over latency and use the Windows defaults, but in Wow the opposite is true and you want the lowest latency you can possibly get."

Before Leatrix Latency Fix is installed:
    Server: "Ok computer, I just sent a data packet over to you, got it?"
    Your computer: ...
    Server: "Come on, answer me! I don't have all day!"
    Your computer: ...
    Server: "Ok, forget it, I've waited long enough, sending another one over! Got it?"
    Your computer: "Yep, got that one, also got the one you sent before, thanks."
    Server: "Well, why didn't you acknowledge the first one when I sent it? I was waiting ages!"
    Your computer: "Sorry, I'm just trying to make the network more efficient by bundling the acknowledgements together in pairs."
    Server: "Nevermind efficiency, this isn't a corporate domain you know. You do realise that the longer you take to acknowledge a packet, the more time I have to spend waiting around instead of sending more data?"
    Your computer: "Well sorry but this is how I'm setup by default."

After Leatrix Latency Fix is installed:
    Server: "Ok computer, I just sent a data packet over, got it?"
    Your computer: "Yep, send the next!"
    Server: "That was fast! Ok, here's another, got that?"
    Your computer: "Yep, send the next!"
    Server: "Wow! What an improvement! Now that's more like it! Much better than giving me the silent treatment so I am forced to wait for acknowledgement timeouts, isn't it?
    Your computer: "Yep, it's certainly keeping me on my toes, thanks!"
    Sweet* teams - <unGankable> - Kil'Jaeden US Alliance - 10x Shamans, 9x DKs 1x Pally, 10x Drews

Note: If you already have the TCPAckFrequency registry fix applied, you already have this installed.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing this.
    Will try it out.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Wonderful little script for ease-of-use when it comes to enabling / disabling the TcpAck registry edit, been using for many months now and I find it very useful to enable for WoW and disable for general browsing / downloading.

Leatrix has a number of other useful utils that are worth checking out as well.

Looks like it works as stated.

I'm getting like 120 on a computer without this and under 50 on a computer with it.

Still a full AH scan takes about 11 minutes with this like before so no improvement there.

28 BoXXoR RoXXoR Website
    28 Box SOLO Nalak 4m26s! Ilevel 522! GM 970 Member Guild! Multiboxing Since Mid 2001!

Still a full AH scan takes about 11 minutes with this like before so no improvement there.
    you likely won't see any performance boost on AH scans, loading into cities and the like - but it is tangible when trying to get interrupts off in PvP and any other scenario that requires a bit of twitch.

TCPAck requires simple operation:
    - regedit
    - goes to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcip\Interface
    - in \Interface folder there are some subfolders with names like F4381872-51D3-48E9-853A-003AD7A64 (typo, are interfaces)
    -browse these interface folders and find the folder where is your IP (mine, for example is 192.168.1.79); this folder generally have a lot more keys then other interface folders, it shows IP, default gateway etc.
    - ignore the other folders, the right one is where is shown your IP.
    - in this folder, create a new DWORD value
    - call it TcpAckFrequency (written in this way<---)
    - set value (hexadecimal format) 1

PS: if not sure what you re doing, avoid
    Last edited by Prega : 04-26-2010 at 08:30 PM Reason: PS

' Leatrix Latency Fix 1.21 (Install Script)
    ' To use, simply run this script and restart your computer.
    ' To run from within batch files, use 'cscript Install.vbs"

logo = "Leatrix Latency Fix"
    Leatrix_Version = "1.21"

Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002

Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=imper sonate}!\\.\root\default:StdRegProv")
    Set shell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    set wsnet = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    computername = ucase(wsnet.computername)

strKeyPath = "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameter s\Interfaces\"
    oReg.EnumKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath, arrSubKeys

if Wscript.Arguments.Count => 1 then
    if (WScript.Arguments.Item(0) = "uac") then Leatrix_Uac = 1 else Leatrix_Uac = 0
    end if

If Instr(1, WScript.FullName, "cscript", vbTextCompare) > 1 Then
    Leatrix_Script = 1
    End If

' Show logo for script users
    if Leatrix_Script = 1 and Leatrix_Uac = 0 then
    wscript.echo "Leatrix Latency Fix " & Leatrix_Version & " Batch Mode."
    wscript.echo ""
    end if

' Latency fix has already been applied
    if CheckFix = true then
    msg = "Leatrix Latency Fix is already installed on this computer."
    if Leatrix_Script = 0 then
    msg = msgbox (msg,48,logo)
    else
    wscript.echo msg
    end if
    wscript.quit
    end if

' Show title for first run
    If Leatrix_Uac = 0 then
    msg = logo & " " & Leatrix_Version & chr(13) & chr(13) & "This script will reduce your latency in World of Warcraft and other online games. It is designed for Windows XP (SP2 or higher), Windows Vista (SP1 or higher) and Windows 7 only." _
    & chr(13) & chr(13) & "If you are not logged into your computer with an account which has Administrator privileges, or you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 with User Account Control enabled, you will be prompted to enter the username and password of an account which has Administrator privileges." _
    & chr(13) & chr(13) & "Leatrix Latency Fix is hosted at www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html." _
    & chr(13) & chr(13) & "Click Ok to begin."
    else
    msg = "Installing..."
    end if

msg = msgbox (msg,65,logo)

' Does user want to quit
    if msg = 2 then
    wscript.quit
    end if
    else
    wscript.echo msg
    end if
    end if

' Attempt to apply latency fix
    For Each subkey In arrSubKeys
    err = oReg.SetDwordValue (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath & subkey,"TcpAckFrequency","1")
    Next

' If fix completed successfully
    if CheckFix = true then
    Success
    wscript.quit
    end if

' If fix did not complete successfully, run it again with UAC prompt
    if CheckFix = false and Leatrix_Uac = 0 then
    msg = "Either your Windows account does not have Administrator privileges, or you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 with User Account Control enabled."
    msg = msg + chr(13) + chr(13) & "User Account Control forces programs to run under regular user privileges, even if you are logged into your computer with an account which has Administrator privileges. It's enabled by default on computers running Windows Vista and Windows 7."
    msg = msg + chr(13) + chr(13) & "To get around this, you will be prompted to enter your Windows logon details. In the next window, check the radio button for 'The following user' and enter the username and password of a Windows account which has Administrator privileges. The username must be in the format '" & computername & "\username'."
    msg = msg + chr(13) + chr(13) & "Click Ok to continue"
    msg = msgbox (msg,49,logo)

' Does user want to quit
    if msg = 2 then
    wscript.quit
    end if

' Rerun script with UAC prompt
    shell.ShellExecute "wscript.exe", Chr(34) & _
    WScript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34) & " uac", "", "runas", 1
    else
    wscript.echo "Logon failure. You must be logged in with Administrator privileges in order to use batch mode."
    wscript.quit
    end if
    end if

' Check if script completed successfully with UAC prompt
    if Leatrix_Uac = 1 then
    if CheckFix = false then
    msg = "There was an error (" & err.number & ")." & chr(13) & chr(13) & "Ensure that you entered a valid username and password. The username must have Administrator privileges on this computer." & chr(13) & chr(13) & "Click Ok to close the script."
    msg = msgbox (msg,48,logo)
    end if
    else
    Success
    end if
    end if

wscript.quit

Function CheckFix()
    ' Checks to see if any of the settings have been applied
    StopCheck = 0
    For Each subkey In arrSubKeys
    oReg.GetDWORDValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath & subkey,"TcpAckFrequency",CheckFix
    if CheckFix = 1 then
    else StopCheck = 1
    end if
    Next
    if StopCheck = 1 then CheckFix = false else CheckFix = true
    end function

Function Success()
    set shell = wscript.CreateObject("wscript.shell")
    msg = "Leatrix Latency Fix has been installed successfully."
    msg = msg & chr(13) & "You need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect." & chr(13)
    msg = msg & chr(13) & "Do you want to restart your computer now?"
    msg = msgbox (msg,68,logo)
    if msg = 6 then
    shell.Run "shutdown.exe /r /t 00"
    end if
    else
    wscript.echo "Leatrix Latency Fix has been installed successfully."
    wscript.echo "You need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect."
    end if
    end function
    the wowinterface vbscript (install.vbs) looks ok, clean. path definition, dword creation and some exceptions management.
    same for checker.vbs: there is the function to identify user interface
    Last edited by Prega : 04-26-2010 at 08:50 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Prega View Post
    the wowinterface vbscript (install.vbs) looks ok, clean. path definition, dword creation and some exceptions management.
    same for checker.vbs: there is the function to identify user interface
    Yeah, it's the "Hi, I don't know what a registry is" version.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

I did the registry TpcAck edit a long time ago and love it.

You basically sacrifice network efficiency for better latency. So while your WoW experience will improve, video streaming and other downloads may suffer as a result.

Before I applied the edit, I usually had 200-300 ms of latency.

Now, I usually have 29 - 50 ms. Yes, its that low. Offers a huge difference as there is no noticeable lag between 1 and the 4 other toons. Very nice.