Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 16

Default I'm sorry Nvidia....There's someone else....I tried. I REALLY tried.....bye....

Dear Nvidia,

We had a great run. I'm very sorry to write you this breakup letter but it's just not fair to let me keep stringing you along. I've....I've been seeing someone else. It started out innocently enough, I bought a laptop a few years ago, and it had an ATI video card. I know you asked me if that was the beginning of the end, and I denied it meant anything. Little did I know...

It started out last week that I needed you again. I searched all over, I couldn't find you. Best buy had you on sale, Newegg had you for the same price. Hell even tiger direct had you, but they were a lot more expensive than anyone else. I searched all the local stores, you weren't even at my local PC shop. So... I had to go with an ATI.

It's OK THOUGH!, I still have you for my other machine, we'll still be friends, I'll still fire up a wow instance on you.... You just can't do the things the ATI can. When I set you up on Ultra, you laugh at me, when I set up the ATI on ultra, it purrs at me. When we raided, you sneezed and coughed on me. The ATI caressed me and I just wanted to take it out of the case and pet it lovingly.

we can still be friends

<3 Bear & ATI HD 5770

This card fucking rocks.

How much did you pay?
    -Legion of Boom Founder-
    -Retired-

Quote Originally Posted by Fursphere View Post
    How much did you pay?

I got it for $200, from the local PC shop that does run a little high. They were selling the GTX260 for 239, which is what I was after.

I've used ATI for years and years, you can't beat 'em. One note though, keep your fans and heat sinks clean. I've burnt 3 cards being lazy and not blowing my tower out (furry cats and dog + fans = bad).
    Siaea(h), Saiea(h), Seaie(h), Sieae(h), Seiae(h) - H(A) PvP
    Parting, Sadeness, Praetorium, Greetings, Salutations - H PvP
    Mullethead, Auderna, Jestitte, Zelynde, Serlena - H PvP
    Clotte, Tahru, Martitsu, Mikiel, Larain - H PvE
    Bonechewer - PvP - US

Handy tip: shave the cats and dogs to prolong the life of your card instead
    Team: Feral Druid, 3 Ele Shaman, 1 Resto Shaman

Gimp Team: 4 paladins(13) and a DK(80)
    Kierlay,kierlee,kieree,kierla and Karatesh

SO waht is this card like compared to a Geeforce 285 PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI, HDCP, HDMI, Core 240x2, Graphics Plus, CUDA, 55nm GFX (the one i have) ?

I havent been sniffing around in the hardware market lately and would kinda like an uppdate

ive heard that ati's work better paired with an AMD processor as compared to using an nvidia card. so lookin to get my hands on one for my next upgrade.
    ("\(O.o)/") rawr!!

Quote Originally Posted by jettzypher View Post
    ive heard that ati's work better paired with an AMD processor as compared to using an nvidia card. so lookin to get my hands on one for my next upgrade.
    This kind of thing is why I prefer to avoid ATI like the plague. Of the 8 or so video cards i've been through on ~6 machines, the only ones that have performed consistently well (and artifact free) across the various motherboards/RAM configurations have been my NVidia cards. It didn't take me but a few episodes of spending several days trying to debug RAM settings and then finding out a simple switch to an NVidia card completely fixed the APC_INDEX_MISMATCH, POOL CALLER ???? and various other intermittent (and thus heinously irritating) blue screen issues to make me dread using ATIs. Not to mention having been part of OEM QA on some of AMD's chipset offerings of late... Granted, my last vid card swap-fest was around the time of the original GT2xx/ATI 4xxx series wars, so things may have gotten significantly better with the 5xxx series.

Sadly, it looks like NVidia has been dropping the ball badly the last year or so. I'm not sure where things go from here for me. Hopefully, sticking to the 75th percentile rule on video cards will keep me firmly behind the bleeding (read: buggy) edge.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    This kind of thing is why I prefer to avoid ATI like the plague. Of the 8 or so video cards i've been through on ~6 machines, the only ones that have performed consistently well (and artifact free) across the various motherboards/RAM configurations have been my NVidia cards. It didn't take me but a few episodes of spending several days trying to debug RAM settings and then finding out a simple switch to an NVidia card completely fixed the APC_INDEX_MISMATCH, POOL CALLER ???? and various other intermittent (and thus heinously irritating) blue screen issues to make me dread using ATIs. Not to mention having been part of OEM QA on some of AMD's chipset offerings of late... Granted, my last vid card swap-fest was around the time of the original GT2xx/ATI 4xxx series wars, so things may have gotten significantly better with the 5xxx series.

Sadly, it looks like NVidia has been dropping the ball badly the last year or so. I'm not sure where things go from here for me. Hopefully, sticking to the 75th percentile rule on video cards will keep me firmly behind the bleeding (read: buggy) edge.
    Story is the same for both ATI and nVidia. Each have their own issues. In the big scheme of things they are generally equal aside for a few anomallies. You'll get people that have had nothing but issues with nVidia cards and people that say the same about ATI.

It should come down to who has the best performance at each price point. Just as with processors, the competition in the video card market benefits consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by jettzypher View Post
    Absolutely not true.