Close
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Default Click macro failure

As I understand it, putting failable items in a single macro can cause the rest of a macro to fail, which is why we should not do, say:

/cast Purge
    /cast Lightning Bolt

To get around this, I had attempted three buttons worth of macros:

Button 1:
    /click Button2
    /click Button3

Button 2:
    /cast Purge

Button3:
    /cast Lightning Bolt

This seems to end up with Lightning Bolt not getting cast if Purge could not be cast. This runs contrary to my "humanocentric" view of things: if I put Purge on Button 2 and Lightning Bolt and Button 3 and hit them a lot, Lightning Bolt will cast. Since, I thought, /click was just clicking Button 2 for me, I am surprised to find that it's checking the "return value" before clicking Button 3.

The question, then, is: is this user error - have I set up my macro wrong? Or is this simply an extension of the "failures cause the macro to fail" - even if, as in this case, they're actually failures in the /clicked items?

Note: I think have worked around it by only having one failable item per character, and putting it on the last button. If Purge is on button 3, this setup seems to work as expected. Then again, I'm usually too frantic to be absolutely certain that it's actually getting cast - I just know that I couldn't kill Paletress's stupid memories until I got purge in there, and now I can. I'm still not sure about my warlock and her conflag..

P.e.b.k.a.c.
    -Legion of Boom Founder-
    -Retired-

A pure /cast will not let anything below it cast as much as a /castsequence, you need to use /castsequence and preferably with some empty space where the next one will get room to trigger. And indeed, having the less castable one below is best, as you figured out.

My suggestion for your example above would be:

/castsequence Lightning Bolt,
    /castsequence , Purge

I'll see if I can find a link to where I posted my warlock's macro (that i use on my raiding solo main).

Here it is:
    http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?p=208605
    Last edited by Maxion : 12-07-2009 at 07:22 PM
    I'm going to live forever, or die trying.
    5 Shaman Northrend Heroics - My YouTube Channel - Details about my setup (outdated)
    T2 Heroics: lvl 80 Heroics wearing lvl 60 armour
    Running 5-6 accounts on one computer, currently playing Horde on US-Skywall.
    My main teams:
    5x Shamans lvl 85
    5-class team lvl 100: Paladin, Druid, Shaman, Mage, Priest

Blog Entries

Check the wiki for click castsequences, there are a lot of examples.

Check for the "using concurrent castsequences" post by Bigfish in the Macro forum.
    It is almost always bumped to the top 2 or 3 pages.
    A detailed explanation there.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fursphere View Post
    P.e.b.k.a.c.
    To true, for the majority of computer/software issues.
    These are often related to the mysterious ID10T errors.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Thanks Maxion. I think that your lock macros are actually one of the items that I had this issue with. I think I may click the buttons faster than you do, and I sometimes find my lock standing around doing nothing.

Here's what I think is happening: the /click macro is hitting the Conflagrate button again again again.. until all the commas are gone, and then it tries to cast Conflagrate. Problem is, it's not off cooldown yet, because I've burned through my commas too quickly. So now everything after the /click Conflagrate button fails until Conflagrate is ready to go again... including the Incinerate that I want her to keep casting.

That's fine - certainly many of the referenced threads and wikis talk about the importance of 'getting the commas right' - but they all talk about it in terms of dps, not in terms of "if you have too few commas on a spell with a cooldown, everything in your click macro after the clicked button will fail until the cooldown is finished".

Again, nothing that I've read addresses the question of a calling macro's response to a /clicked macro's failure. I had expected that a called macro's failure would simply /click the referenced button, and the calling macro would continue regardless, having already moved on after it /clicked: the macro succeeds at clicking the button, regardless of whether that button succeeds or not.

And yes, while undoubtedly many PEBKAC for this ID10T, ideally there would be a M for me to FR..

Just figure out how fast you are hitting the button and add commas to the castsequences to make it add up to your ideal total. Mine are tuned to be hitting the button 5 times per second, so just make each one have a number of commas equal to the recast timer times the number of times you hit the button per second on average.
    I'm going to live forever, or die trying.
    5 Shaman Northrend Heroics - My YouTube Channel - Details about my setup (outdated)
    T2 Heroics: lvl 80 Heroics wearing lvl 60 armour
    Running 5-6 accounts on one computer, currently playing Horde on US-Skywall.
    My main teams:
    5x Shamans lvl 85
    5-class team lvl 100: Paladin, Druid, Shaman, Mage, Priest

Quote Originally Posted by niffirg View Post
    And yes, while undoubtedly many PEBKAC for this ID10T, ideally there would be a M for me to FR..
    Its called the (already mentioned) /click macro thread.
    -Legion of Boom Founder-
    -Retired-

Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    To true, for the majority of computer/software issues.
    These are often related to the mysterious ID10T errors.
    I used to do corporate IT...unfortunately HR was fond of attaching ID10Ts to the computer's interfaces, which inevitably threw a great many PEBKAC errors.