Close
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Default Fully mixed comp

been mulling over my team comp, and now that i'm getting my 4th team to 80, i'll have quite a few characters to chose from. I've been running a pally, disc priest, 3x arcane mage and have been thinking about swapping out 2 mages for a boomkin and shaman. This all started when my brother asking me why he was getting 3.4k dps in a raid, and only 2.6k in heroics.

My thinking was that a mixed team would perform better because:
    1. Significant DPS increase across the board b/c of the buffs - all gear being equal. I was really surprised at how many additional benefits you get - found this great site on raid buffs that list how big of a difference it is. http://raidcomp.mmo-champion.com seems to indicate WAY more buffs for my mixed comp than my existing comp does.
    2. Phat lootz is almost always valuable to one of them - meaning gearing would be faster.

There's other reasons like combat rez, and 4-healers-in-a-pinch that make this seem great, but am I chasing a pipe dream? Any downside's to running a mixed comp vs. Pally, priest, 3xmage?

Currently have at:
    [1] Pally, disc priest, 3x arcane mage @ 80
    [2] 5 x ele shaman @ 80
    [3] 5 x shadow priest @ 80
    [4] 5x boomkin/resto @ lvl 66

(*sigh* if only i had the discipline to run dailies)
    Alliance - Bonechewer - Reckoning
    [80 teams:] Pally/Priest/Shaman/Mage/Druid | 5x priests | 5x Shamans | 5x druids

Only real draw back is that yeh gotta be on top of 5 different classes when it comes to patches.
    yeh gotta make 4-5 different dps macro's. Buffing is kinda a pain if yeh do it manually theres been tons of time I've forgot something

I'm running

pali/prot
    warlock/aff
    shaman/enhance
    druid/balance
    druid/resto

gearing will be slightly easier.

Blog Entries

I have a mixed team.
    -- Disc Priest
    -- Arcane Mage
    -- Feral Druid
    -- Elem Shaman
    -- Aff. Warlock

I really like the team, but find a Feral Druid to be a lot harder to macro then a Paladin. Single box, either tanks fine, but the Pally is so much easier to create a strong one-button spam.

They're in the process of leveling, but I'm taking a bit of a break from wow at the moment. The Northrend grind kind of sucks, so just running dailies at the moment on one team each day. Was tempted to log them in. They're 73, 73, 75, 76 and 77 with full rested. Plus the upper 3 toons have already done the quests in the next two zones, so hopefully the collections will be less of a pain in the ***.

As far as buffs go, I use:

I have self buffs as castsequences on Shift D.

Then have buffs on Shift J and Shift K.
    And my normal group buffs on Shift F6 and Shift F7.

Shift D:
    /castsequence reset=5 ......
    ,,Inner Fire,Null
    ,,Mage Armor,Null
    ,,Thorns,Null
    Water Shield, Flametongue Weapon,Null
    Fel Armor,Null

Shift J:
    Power Word: Fortitude
    Arcane Intellect
    Mark of the Wild
    Water Walking
    Unending Breath

Shift K:
    Divine Spirit
    N/A
    Thorns
    N/A
    N/A

And then S-F6 and S-F7 are the group versions of S-J and S-K

Mixed teams are not that terrible. I prefer them personally. Mine's not exactly mixed as it's got 2 paladins and 2 shamans, but the specs are all different. The ret paladin used to be a warlock, the hunter used to be a boomkin, but I swapped them out to better cover raid buffs {my husband runs tankadin, disc priest, dest warlock, ele shaman, demo warlock.}

Smartbuff takes care of my buffing. The only time consuming part is sifting through EJ to get a hold of the basics.
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

I've loved my mixed team. Gets a ton easier with some gear as well. Click macros are also your friend.
    80 Blood Elf Paladin, 80 Blood Elf Priest,80 Troll Mage, 80 Undead Warlock, 80 Tauren Druid, 80 Undead Rogue
    80 x4 Shaman (Orc x3, Troll)

Madoran - Horde - PvE

Quote Originally Posted by gitcho View Post
    been mulling over my team comp, and now that i'm getting my 4th team to 80, i'll have quite a few characters to chose from. I've been running a pally, disc priest, 3x arcane mage and have been thinking about swapping out 2 mages for a boomkin and shaman. This all started when my brother asking me why he was getting 3.4k dps in a raid, and only 2.6k in heroics.

My thinking was that a mixed team would perform better because:
    1. Significant DPS increase across the board b/c of the buffs - all gear being equal. I was really surprised at how many additional benefits you get - found this great site on raid buffs that list how big of a difference it is. http://raidcomp.mmo-champion.com seems to indicate WAY more buffs for my mixed comp than my existing comp does.
    2. Phat lootz is almost always valuable to one of them - meaning gearing would be faster.

There's other reasons like combat rez, and 4-healers-in-a-pinch that make this seem great, but am I chasing a pipe dream? Any downside's to running a mixed comp vs. Pally, priest, 3xmage?

Currently have at:
    [1] Pally, disc priest, 3x arcane mage @ 80
    [2] 5 x ele shaman @ 80
    [3] 5 x shadow priest @ 80
    [4] 5x boomkin/resto @ lvl 66

(*sigh* if only i had the discipline to run dailies)
    I run a mixed team as well, Prot Pally, Holy Priest, Boomkin, Arcane Mage, Destro Lock. I enjoy it, I have more options and buffs and abilities, but a "classic" team of 4 shaman or tank/heal/3 dps probably gets through Heroics faster than I do.9

The downside is it's more complicated getting your macros in place, timed right, and knowing how and when to take advantage of procs, like Eclipse on the Boomkin.

For example, my Lock is falling behind in DPS, because I need to adjust the timing on his click macros to mesh into the pally's, which I just adjusted- it's too fast, and he's spending too much time spamming "Spell not ready". My team is capable of 2k dps consistently in normal dungeons, 1.5k in Heroic (with huge crits over 2k easily), and the Lock is dropping to sub-1K lately. Oh well - it just means more time at the training dummy.

It's just more micromanagement - it's why I rotated my rogue out for the Lock, because I was spending too much time watching the rogue to make sure she was positioned right.

Do your dailies. They're great for trying out and adjusting macros, and they're easy money and Ebon Blade rep. I got exalted on my tank without even noticing.
    Prot Pally • Destro Lock • Holy Priest • Boomkin • Arcane Mage

Heroic Bosses Down: Moorabi • Kologorn • Ormorock • Prince Keleseth • Eck

I wish that I had leveled another mage. I currently run a prot war/arc mage/destro lock/boomkin/holy priest and I must say the boomkins dps leaves a lot to be desired. The arc mage and lock can hit 3500dps in heroics without hero/bloodlust, while my druid will barely break 2k dps in equal gear. Sucks trying to watch eclipse procs and heal/dps/tank. Mages and warlocks are fire and forget.

I decided right out of the gate to go with a mixed team; didn’t want to get spoiled by using the Paladin and (4)x shaman.

Paladin is truly the one button king for mulitbox tanking; team now consists of MT – Pally 38k hp group buffed, Holy Priest, Elemental Shaman, Boomkin, BM hunter.

With Heroism, Fire Elemental, Trents ect…basically all the stops pulled out most of the team members hit 4k dps. I love the synergy of the buffs/de-buffs that the mixed team brings.
    8/7/09 Level 1 – Pally (Tank); Priest (Shadow); Shaman (Resto); Mage (Frost); Druid (Balance)
    8/19/09 Level 62 – Pally (Tank); Priest (Shadow); Shaman (Resto); Mage (Frost); Druid (Balance)
    8/29/09 Level 68 – Pally (Tank); Priest (Shadow); Shaman (Resto); DK (Blood); Druid (Balance)
    9/5/09 Level 72 – Pally (Tank); Priest (Shadow); Shaman (Resto); DK (Blood); Druid (Balance)
    9/19/09 Level 80 – Pally (Tank); Priest (Shadow); Shaman (Resto); Hunter (BM)); Druid (Balance)

Quote Originally Posted by Multibocks View Post
    I wish that I had leveled another mage. I currently run a prot war/arc mage/destro lock/boomkin/holy priest and I must say the boomkins dps leaves a lot to be desired. The arc mage and lock can hit 3500dps in heroics without hero/bloodlust, while my druid will barely break 2k dps in equal gear. Sucks trying to watch eclipse procs and heal/dps/tank. Mages and warlocks are fire and forget.
    Well, you can ditch the boomkin for a shaman. Then you'd be the same as my team other than the tank. The shaman made my lock and mage do more dps due to haste and spellpower totems. I think my lock is at 2600 sp fully buffed and my mage is at 2300 and they both fight for top dps followed closely by my shaman (who is in mostly pvp gear) Heroism can get my mage to peak at 6k, round off at 5k on dummies, with a shadowpriest applying the hit debuff.

The warlock can make up for the +13 dmg debuff, but you will lose the +hit debuff. But ive found that for heroics +hit isnt nearly as useful as it is in raids. And in a raid theres most likely going to be another boomkin or spriest in the group anyway.

Ive run the same heroics with that group, as with my 4 ele sham team, and the mixed group definately is smoother. Priest AOE heals are way OP in heroics, and combined with all the buffs, my pally ends up with 5k more hp than with my shaman, which helps even more. I've relegated my shaman (except for the one) as mostly PvP, and my mixed team my PvE farming team. Plus mixed teams benefit from better gear dispersion. Not as many issues of who to give gear to when theres one mail user... I could maybe see myself dropping one of the toons for a druid so the leather +spirit gear doesn't get sharded (but hey, the shards make me money, so what am I complaining about?)