Close
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Default [Fallen Earth] My impressions

Hey all,

I'd like to share my experience so far with this MMORPG during pre-launch.

This sandbox MMO is truly a breath of fresh air. Sure the theme may not be overly original but the execution is. I've played a number of FPS-style MMO's before but this one does it right. The mobs AI is good, they duck and weave, try to flank you so having targeting reticule makes it a challenge. During beta I used a cross-bow (rifle skill) and enjoyed getting good at taking headshots which typically result in critical hits. So targeting serves a purpose, your twitch reflexes and your aim improves your damage.

Now in pre-launch, I'm playing a melee type and am crafting my own melee weapons and armor. I avoided playing a ranged character to avoid ammo costs.

Crafting skill is base on skill-ups of crafting and the exp you get from crafting is substantial. I've dinged twice from savaging/mining/harvesting and crafting. Crafting isn't fast but you can queue it up and go on your adventures or log for the night and it continues.

It's a class-less skill based system. You need to invest your AP wisely (in stats and non-crafting skills) much like AO so as to avoid "breaking" your character. The game has basic templates to help guide you in spending your AP which is nice and I've already found a website with a character planner.

Here also is a link to some guides.

Honestly playing a single character is so engrossing that I don't miss boxing.
    I love the smell of electrocution in the morning!

I downloaded and played for an hour or two pre-release.... It just seemed like it could use a lot of polish. The combat seemed decent (i didnt get into anything crazy) but until I get an adrenaline rush like when playing some Unreal Tournament or even playing the campaign in a game like COD4... im annoyed that they put "FPS" in their game description.

Glad you're having fun.
    Currently running 10 miners in Eve Online.

Yeah, the combat doesn't have the death-match FPS feel but your movement (or lack thereof) seems to have quiet a bearing on the turnout.

I've engaged multiples a number of times and found my butt being handed to me in short order if I don't work on strafing or keeping my back away from the mobs. I find that when I attack one and if another aggro's, that "add" tries real hard to stay at your back where as the original target tends to stay at your front. I get a strong impression of a team-work feel on the part of the mobs AI.

So under similar situations I've died very quickly when I put little effort forth and then learned to strafe and flank at the same time trying to target the head/torso of the mobs as they duck and weave.

So while it may not be a rush it's still engrossing (unless your opponent is trivial).
    I love the smell of electrocution in the morning!

Would you say this is worthwhile to get? I read an article on it at Massively that intrigued me. The fact that you can team up and take over/convert towns to your faction sounded like fun. Also the whole Fallout-esque theme piqued my interest. I am worried that it won't my somewhat high expectations for the game play.
    Styrr - Legion of Boom - GM

I played Fallen Earth for about 1 month. The 30 Day subscription and didn't renew.

I have played many FPS games and FPS RPGs.

Fallen Earth sucks as far as game control. The play is very sluggest for a FPS game and if you enjoy playing FPS games, you will be disappointed. Even the producer of the game stated it's not an FPS per say but FPS Feel. This is how they can get away with calling it an FPS but it's not due to the sluggish movement.

The game does not offer 1 shot kill head shots like most FPS games and PvP is pretty broken. The game is more of a crafters PvE game without much end game raid content. I was really excited about the game but after playing it for a month and getting towards end game found it lacking.

Since I am a PvP player and FPS is all about PvP, the game does not offer PvP as most expect. Still a decent game but IMO it's not a long term game.

--If you like FPS RPGs check out borderlands. It's is not an MMO but a ton of fun for an FPS RPG.
    Horde:
    5 80 BE Paladins (Ret)
    3 80 Orc Hunters
    1 80 Orc Shaman (Resto)
    1 80 Death Knight (Tank/DPS)

Alliance:
    80 Hu Death Knight DPS
    80 Hu Paladin (Tank)
    70 Hu Priest S2 (Disc)
    72 Dr Shaman (Resto)

Tons of 60's Horde/Alliance