Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 26

I have tried both /click and standard /castsequence macros. I must have a fast internet connection, because I don't see any difference.
    Firetree, Alliance.

Adiabat (Prot Pally), Isochor (Holy Priest), Isobar (Frostfire Mage) <Retired at 80 during WotLK>

Corpsebréw, Corpsebrèw, Corpsebrêw (3x Death Knight) <Retired at 80 during WotLK>

Femtotank (Prot Warrior), Femtoheals (Disc Priest), Femtosummons (Demo Lock) <Active, 105>

Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    Well... learning to craft Click macro's, is essentially saying - learn to create multiple cast sequence macro's with proper timing.

Click let's you weave all the abilities you'd want to use, into a single button spam.
    You misunderstood what Coyote was saying - you do not need to use /click to create a single button spam - you only need click to get round the 255 limit in your single button spam. If you are adverse to using addons (because they can become unsupported for example) then /click is the best way to go. For me using a macro extender like SuperDuper macro is a much more elegant solution.

People don't use click to get around the character limit here. THey use it because /castsequence is a straight up loss of dps. There are tons and tons of posts about this guys, and people have done an incredible amount of testing. Please do some searching. Because of the way /castsequence works (waits for response from the server before moving along) you are losing time equal to your lag when you use it. People have done extensive testing with

/cast lightning bolt
    vs.
    /castsequence lightning bolt, lightning bolt

You would expect these to be the same right? wrong, because of the way castsequence works. So use click. Castsequence is garbage.

I tried what someone suggested by putting a castsequence and a cast in the same macro. My cast NEVER went off. I used instant casts in my castsequence (who wants to stand still in a fight), so my cast never went off, since GCD stopped it. I also have <100ms latency (going to pretend that is fast), so never had time for my spells to have time to fall through. If it works for you, good deal. Just doesn't work for everyone. Maybe it has something to do with multiple clients on one machine, the back clients get a tiny bit of lag and it lets it work. Not sure. Just saying it doesn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobobb View Post
    People don't use click to get around the character limit here. THey use it because /castsequence is a straight up loss of dps. There are tons and tons of posts about this guys, and people have done an incredible amount of testing. Please do some searching. Because of the way /castsequence works (waits for response from the server before moving along) you are losing time equal to your lag when you use it. People have done extensive testing with

/cast lightning bolt
    vs.
    /castsequence lightning bolt, lightning bolt

You would expect these to be the same right? wrong, because of the way castsequence works. So use click. Castsequence is garbage.
    This is the kind of misunderstanding I would like to clear up (whether I am the one who misunderstands it or not).

My understanding is this:
    /castsequence is a loss of dps only if you have more spells in the same castsequence. This is because the client will not 'queue' the next spell with the server the way normal casting does.

Thus:
    /castsequence A, B
    Is bad because you will have an idle period equal to your latency between A finishing and B starting cast.

Whereas:
    /castsequence A,,,,,,
    /castsequence B,,,
    Is good (assuming you can time your clicks to your commas), because A and B are no longer in the same /castsequence, so the client no longer holds up.

The point is that at both of these methods use /castsequence, and at no point does /click figure into the equation. /click has just sort of become synomymous with multiple castsequences, which is pretty misleading since /click has nothing to do with the dps difference. Saying /castsequnce is bad and /click is good doesn't exactly lead people to understand the problem or the solution. It is also a shame, because you get multiple posts from confused users wondering how they identify the names of their buttons and thinking /click is a magical dps boost.

/click methods just work as sort of a global advancement of several sequence macros.

Using /click you effectively press all your sequence macros until something goes off. This can help you with giving a bit of "weight" to spells you want to go off more often and lower the chance of a stuck sequence that missed a necessary debuff for casting another spell.

My guess is this method will be nerfed and sequences with a comma followed by a blank will be treated the same as commas followed by "null", effectively stopping the comma timing without removing the capability for which castsequence was intended.

Using castsequence in the manner it is being used here, kinda works as a crutch to the multiclass teams, but they can probably be just as effective with properly placed and written cast macros. I know the only thing I use click for is to avoid the 255 limit and simplify writing macros for use with FTL setups.

Afaik, /click gets stuck at the exact same spots /castsequence does.

E.g. if you have 3 buttons with:
    /castsequence Flameshock,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    /castsequence Lava Burst,,,,,,,,,,
    /cast Ligthning Bolt
    plus a spam macro to /click them in this order.

Then, if you spam too fast, your /castsequence Lava Burst,,,,,,,,,, will wrap around back to Lava Burst before it is off the cooldown, and you will be stuck waiting for Lava Burst to go off cd, with no spells (not even lightning bolt) firing.

Since this method is largely dependent on timing your clicks (player skill.. of sorts) to produce optimal results, I doubt they will work hard to kill it off.

Based on my personal observations...

When I cast (spam button) using a cast sequence, eg

/castsequence Wrath

..the cast bar pops appears, fills all the way to the right, turns green and flashes then fades away. Only then is the next cast started. If it's an instant cast spell then there's no cast bar and the next cast starts after the global cooldown is over.

When I cast without a sequence, eg:

/cast Wrath

..the cast bar doesn't always reach the end before starting the next cast (there is no change to green, flash or fade) and the time between casts decreases (increasing dps).

As the OP noticed, and some may already know, a macro such as:

/castsequence wibble
    /cast wobble

..will drop down to the wobble spell after casting wibble (if wibble isn't instant and you start/click/press/spam the macro at the right time).

Additionally, casting wobble will also cut short the cast bar animation of Wibble in the same way as observed with /cast Wrath above (but only is wobble isn't instant). Wobble will in turn be cut short by Wibble.

Because Wrath and Starfire are neither instant or have a cooldown, there would be no benefit (other than personal preference/size/etc) in using /click instead of the following:

/castsequence Starfire
    /castsequence Wrath

Indeed, one could extend this with no loss due to castsequence delays:

/castsequence [target=focustarget] Starfire
    /castsequence [target=focustarget] Insect Swarm, Moonfire, Wrath, Wrath, Wrath

(edit: this isn't right as there'd be a delay between SF, IS and also SF,MF)

However, if the next spell on the 2nd line has a cooldown then casting will continue with the 1st line sequence and be subject to delay. Thus:

/castsequence Lightning Bolt
    /castsequence Flame Shock, Lava Burst

..will be delayed between concurrent LB casts until Lava Burst is off cooldown (Flame Shock is instant so doesn't help with delay).

Note: A cast will never be cut short if it's followed by an instant cast, using /click, /cast, manual casting, or whatever.

The /click method (or more specifically the use of additional commas) can be used to rejig macros such that they suffer less from cast sequence delays, but it's still obeys the rules/observations stated above, and it all works off the bug/feature mentioned by the OP.
    Last edited by SmartJelly : 09-03-2009 at 09:44 AM Reason: fickst sum speling and stuff

Actually, the commas are mostly used for timing.

As you noted,
    /castsequence Lightning Bolt
    /castsequence Flame Shock, Lava Burst
    Will drop down to the second line if you hit the macro the moment your cast is finished on the server but still not finished in the client.

However, this has little practical value in most dps rotations.

As an elemental shaman, my ideal rotation is to Flame Shock every 18 seconds to refresh the dot, Lava Burst every time its off cooldown (8 seconds), and fill the void with Lightning Bolts (ignoring Chain Lightning for the moment).

If I make a macro with "/castsequence Flame Shock" followed by 17 commas, and I press it exactly once every second, the net effect is that Flame Shock is cast every 18 seconds as desired. Furthermore, the 17 clicks after each Flame Shock are not consumed, but will 'fall through' and be able to initiate spells further down the macro. As an added bonus, the latency loss of concurrent spells in the same cast sequence is avoided. And it is haste proof to boot.

The ability to time how frequently every spell in your rotation is cast (for any value of haste and heroism), in combination with avoiding the latency hit classic /castsequences suffer, is what gives the concurrent castsequence method it's strength. But it requires a fairly consistent rate of button presses, something I am sorely deficient at

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    However, this has little practical value in most dps rotations.

As an elemental shaman, my ideal rotation is...
    I was not trying to offer advice on rotations, I was trying to describe the mechanics of the effect described in the original post and its relationship to castsequence delays.

I would agree that comma sequences are one of the tools at our disposal for improving macros.
    Last edited by SmartJelly : 09-03-2009 at 11:55 AM