Close
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Showing results 21 to 25 of 25

When you simlink your folders, the OS does know that i's loading the same one (and cache's it appropriatly). Your OS sees a simlink exactly as though it is the same file as the non-linked one.

The purpose for symlinking is to allow other programs and users not to see them as the same file.

Blog Entries

When I was using SymLinks, I had it set up like this:

Parent Folder --- > WoW A
    --- > WoW B
    --- > WoW C
    --- > WoW D
    --- > WoW E
    --- > WoW F

The idea was to only ever patch the parent folder, and to not use that to play any toon with.

WoW A-E were my five box folders, with graphical options down to almost nothing.
    The addons were slightly different, with WoW C (tank's account) having a few more then the others.

WoW F was my single box account, which at the time was a Warlock.
    This folder had every single option cranked to the maximum.
    Unlike the WoW A-E folders, I did not add -nosound to the end of this executable.

Different settings is the main benefit.
    In the original SymLink thread, the consensus was a SymLink set up was faster then five folders or everything from one folder. In my case either this was not true, or the difference was too marginal to notice.

I had a bunch of issues patching twice.
    One install works fine for me.
    I miss some of the eye candy now, but run my raider (rogue) and boxing teams all at minimal settings.

SymLink set up was faster then ... everything from one folder
    This is what I don't get. I've agree that this was said a few times in some of the old threads. But this can't be true.

It would be like if I put some file on my desktop. I then right clicked the icon and selected "Send to" -> "Desktop (create shortcut)". I then clicked the original file 5 times and timed it. Then clicked the shortcut 5 times and timed it. You are doing the exact same thing when you simlink something. The OS knows that it's just a link (a "simulated link", one might say) to the original file. Opening a symlink can't be quicker than opening the original, because you are actually opening the original file.

Symlinks do offer the benifit on not being a 100% pure copy - you can customise graphics or addons seperately, while still getting the performance benifit from using a single folder. I'm not saying they aren't useful. But they aren't quicker than just running the same executable 5 times. I believe both Keyclone and ISBoxer (probably some others) have a built in utility to do things like remember your username and video settings. So if you are using one of those there's no reason I can think of to run symlinks at all.

Am I missing something here?
    Last edited by jak3676 : 08-11-2009 at 08:57 PM

Running 5 seperate folders is slower because your hitting 5 seperate folders for info. Where as with one folder or symlinked it's just hitting one. It has something to do with the cache i believe. Now as far as one folder and being symlinked I don't know if there is a difference. I do know though going from 5 seperate folders to being symlinked made my load times way faster. The main reason i run with them linked is just for seperate config's. Patches do suck though =/

Quote Originally Posted by sixzandsevenz View Post
    Trying to do this, I already deleted the clones folders, when I right click the data folder, I don't see a "pick link source".

Please help.
    You might have to restart your computer after installing the software.

If you do not see the pick source after that, you have to probably redo the first couple of steps.