Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Default DK + 4 Ret Pallys?

I have an existing 80 DK that I've been using to RAF instance boost 4 other accounts. After using that, existing characters, and level grants to put together 5 rogues and 5 mages; I've decided to level up some pallys. I have an existing 71 pally on the main account, and it's got me wondering if I may want to use either that pally as prot to lead the Rets, or perhaps my DK (who is 448 JC and def capped) and go Unholy to boost the pally magic dmg output.

Any thoughts?
    No Currently Active Teams -- Awaiting SWTOR

You know since most of the Ret Paladin's (if not all) arsenal of abilites are considered melee damage, even the "holy" damage dealing abilities, I'm not sure Unholy DK will actually boost their damage output. I could be wrong on this though.

However that being said I would still have the DK tank for both the reason that the extra Ret Paladin offers an additional Divine Storm for passive group healing, instant FoL's with Art of War, and Lay on Hands for a quick emergency heal, as well as the fact that runic power abilites aren't exactly the easiest to macro into castsequences the same as a warrior's rage which means you won't really be using a DK follower to their absolute max potential. It'll be easier to get the most out of your DK by having him tank.

If i understand it right you will have a choice between running dk+4 pallys or running with 5 pallys.

I think you can't go wrong with either grouping. The advantage to the DK is that it's already uncrittable,
    which may get you hitting heroics on your group that bit quicker.

Then again the pally is a very, very capable multibox tank. Easy to macro.

It may come down to personal preference. Which do you prefer playing?
    Team: Feral Druid, 3 Ele Shaman, 1 Resto Shaman

Gimp Team: 4 paladins(13) and a DK(80)
    Kierlay,kierlee,kieree,kierla and Karatesh

Quote Originally Posted by 'Tdog',index.php?page=Thread&postID=217722#post217 722
    You know since most of the Ret Paladin's (if not all) arsenal of abilites are considered melee damage, even the "holy" damage dealing abilities, I'm not sure Unholy DK will actually boost their damage output. I could be wrong on this though.
    Ebon Plaguebringer does affect holy damage, which means it boosts some seals / judgements, consecration, hammmer of wrath, exorcism and holy wrath.

It does not boost crusader stike or divine storm however.

Cheers,
    S.
    The Zerg (Magtheridon - US)

Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Stealthy',index.php?page=Thread&postID=217748#pos t217748

Quote Originally Posted by 'Tdog',index.php?page=Thread&postID=217722#post217 722
    Ebon Plaguebringer does affect holy damage, which means it boosts some seals / judgements, consecration, hammmer of wrath, exorcism and holy wrath.

It does not boost crusader stike or divine storm however.

Cheers,
    S.
    I would think it would be worth it. Especially AoE and undead instances. Holy Wrath x4 is so much fun in those.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by 'shaeman',index.php?page=Thread&postID=217747#post 217747
    If i understand it right you will have a choice between running dk+4 pallys or running with 5 pallys.

I think you can't go wrong with either grouping. The advantage to the DK is that it's already uncrittable,
    which may get you hitting heroics on your group that bit quicker.

Then again the pally is a very, very capable multibox tank. Easy to macro.

It may come down to personal preference. Which do you prefer playing?
    Yes, DK + 4 Rets vs Prot Pally + 4 Rets. That's the choice.

I can see the pally being very capable, and I did like to play my pally in BC a lot, though I didn't tank much with her.

But the following reasons came to mind on the DK if I go Unholy...
    1) I can pick up speed boost talents for all toons from their primary trees
    2) Ebon Plague to boost everyone's damage at least somewhat
    3) AMS -- Stacked with Pally auras, that should make the entire group nearly unkillable by magic for a several seconds

And simply having a DK rather than a Pally...
    1) Death Grip -- because as a Paladin I've always had to chase down my kills
    2) No reliance on mana and being healed by my Rets to regen mana

But using a Prot Pally would offer...
    1) Bubble for everyone
    2) BoSanct for everyone
    3) One more aura

So personally I'm leaning towards the DK, but mainly because she is already Def capped and partially geared in epics. Though I do wonder if perhaps going Frost might be an option as well. Glyphed Howling Blast spreading Chillblains around might be better than giving everyone a speed boost. But trying to work Hungering Cold while 4 Consecrations are going off wouldn't be good...
    No Currently Active Teams -- Awaiting SWTOR

I am trying 4 pallies and a shammy. Not sure how much I will need it, but one will be prot. I hope that I don't need it. I won't be doing any heroics, ever, just normal tanking stuff. I wanted the extra buffs that a shammy could give. A clothie (which I put druids in also) is too squishy for this group---just my opinion. So either a 5th pally with very little extra buffs or a shammy. Windfury (same as DK), strength totem (same as DK) and eventually earth shield (maybe you get rune tap glyph would help as DK). It seems like it is a trade off for a shammy and DK. DK would provide crazy more DPS than a shammy smacking things with a stick, but I wanted to tank with a pally, so the DK would just be DPS. Automatic stuff made the difference for me, tremor totem, disease/poison cleansing totem, mana totem, healing totem, flametongue totem, etc. No thinking required, just plop them down and do your stuff. That seems too much like any DPS loss would be made up with not thinking help. That is what boxing is to me, get stuff that takes care of itself so you can have fun. Shammy it is for me.