Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 12

Thumbs up From q6600 to x6 was nice

Not sure what happened in the last year, but my q6600 (gtz 260 gfx card) was able to handle 7 clients pretty well last time I played. I recently started 10boxing again and it was struggling very bad. Turned down every gfx setting imagineable but still stuttered way too much, especially during aoe (2 fans of knives, 2 swipes, 2 blood boils, 1 ww = 1 fps). Memory was fine, had lots left so I knew it had to be the OLD ASS q6600.

I decided to give AMD a try, I especially liked that it had 6 real cores (even though I have an i7, I never liked hyperthreading). That means I could assign 1 client to each core, and only 1 core would have to handle two. I got the cheapest X6 from Microcenter, it was $154 and clocked at 2.8 (I will not be overclocking this proc). I got a deal on the Asus board and got it for $60. Then 8GB of Corsair XMS (not sure of speed, was $70 and had heatsinks).

Install went smooth. I uninstalled any ich7 drivers I could find before I shut the computer down. Once the new mobo was in I used the defaults in the BIOS and booted right into win7 with no issues. Installed drivers, launched WoW. Started aoeing like crazy and it was silky smooth. My dps went up across all characters. I can even run around in stormwind without my mouse slowing to a crawl (that was extremely irritating).

I am very satisfied with this purchase, and have about $30 in rebates to mail.
    The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
    And the circling is worth it,
    Finding beauty in the
    dissonance

Interesting,
    Would you kind posting a screen shot of CPU usage across all cores when you're in stormwind with all toons booted up?
    It would be interesting comparing core usage vs. an i7

Thanks.

Are you running Keyclone ( as in signature?) or using Isboxer? Please keep us updated for a bit-going to upgrade a couple of builds soon-was going to go Intel because many reviewers/comparisons say "Intel is better for gaming".
    Thanks for more input!
    I'm not cheap.I'm frugal!

I'm curious if anybody has experience using a Phenom II for Rift. My Core2Quad chugs with 3 accounts, so I was thinking of upgrading to an i5 or i7 to try to move to 4 accounts. But a 6-core system may be a better choice, if it can handle the game (which seems to be pretty CPU intensive).

I should be 10boxing today since a lot of the raids have reset for me. I'll try and get a screenshot if I can remember.

I'm running Keyclone. Just haven't felt like making the switch to IsBoxer, and I hate subscription based software like that. I also do not like it's UI and configuration.
    The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
    And the circling is worth it,
    Finding beauty in the
    dissonance

I upgraded from a Q6600 to an X6 about a year ago. It does a great job and doesn't cost much, though my next upgrade will likely be a Sandy Bridge CPU (or whatever comes next, if I wait long enough).
    "Multibox : !! LOZERS !!" My multiboxing blog

thanks for replies-i think I'll stick with my Newegg wishlist for upgrades to Intel 2nd gen cores.

I went from a Q6600 to an i5-2500K, then to an i7-2600K after seeing Fenril's sticky'd post about how good the hyperthreading is on the i7-2600K (unlike previous generations).
    I must say, it's a pretty nice jump in performance, even for 5-boxing to be on the i7-2600K now. If only I can find someone to buy my i5-2500K .... hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Bollwerk View Post
    I went from a Q6600 to an i5-2500K, then to an i7-2600K after seeing Fenril's sticky'd post about how good the hyperthreading is on the i7-2600K (unlike previous generations).
    I must say, it's a pretty nice jump in performance, even for 5-boxing to be on the i7-2600K now. If only I can find someone to buy my i5-2500K .... hmm...
    Double hmm-pm me Bollwerk I think i have it set to go thru. edit:sent PM to Bollwerk
    Last edited by Unded : 08-11-2011 at 08:38 PM Reason: Sent PM to Bollwerk

I was looking at these threads today as I was gutted when I went to SW the other day and I got disconnected and had to move each char individually through SW to the stocades. Time for a new PC. My existing setup is a Q6600 as well, with 4G RAM, and just 2 plain installs of wow on 2 bulk 7200 rpm hdd's, with a 9600 GTS passive cooled GPU. Most scenarios are fine, but the slaves are all on the lowest of settings, and Main is on Good.

Had seen the Thuron(?) X6 1100 and thought 6 physical cores could be cool over the i7 2600K 4 cores and 4 virtual cores. Read a rather telling comparison review that made my mind up:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/1178/1

I've seen that the i5 is probably suitable for most 5x boxers, but saw some nice rigs coming under £1K with i7's so this is probably what I'll go for...