Close
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Default Viability of an all melee group?

Aside from 5xDeath Knights, which will however be nerfed, sooner or later, I was wondering if an all melee (or 4 melee + healer) group could be viable in heroics.

The specific group I had in mind is Druid (cat for quest and bear for instances), combat Rogue, fury Warrior, retribution Paladin and enhanchement Shaman (could get resto for heroics).

Once you master positioning most mobs won't be a big problem, but I am afraid bosses where you have to spread out or that are heavy on AoE could be a serious issue.

What do you guys think on the issue?

Definitely possible, though careful attention has to be put in to set-up. I wouldn't want anything other than a Druid or a Priest, just because when the AoE hits, their group heals are just that good. I mean, you CAN get by with whatever you want, but the difficulty factor is up to you.

The prot warriors team is quite different. I was thinking about a balanced holy trinity, traditional roles, team.

Just wondering if blizzard forces us to take a ranged dps in instances or we can do fine with just melee dps.

Well, as experience goes, one of my teams is Fury Warrior, Combat Rogue, Hunter, and Tank/Healer (depends on which I want to use for the last two). Once you get the positioning down, Melee DPS work fine, and generally speaking, encounters shouldn't be TOO difficult with all melee. That said, I skipped Heroics and went straight in to Naxx and VoA, so I can't say with any degree of certainty how viable heroics are. Most should be viable, and all 70-non Heroics have been cleared.

There are some bosses that can be tricky with a full melee group, because they do melee aoe damage themselves. Skadi, Ingvar and Jedoga Shadowseeker can do a lot of damage to melee dps (depending on how good you are at positioning your dps, of course).

Ive enjoyed my all melee group so far but im not end game so i wont comment as to whether its viable.
    Currently running 10 miners in Eve Online.

Honestly I'd turn your group around a little, use the warrior to tank instead of fury and have the feral dps. You're doubling up on the crit aura with fury and you'll want to sunder since you're so physical heavy.
    Dual-boxer on Earthen Ring (US)
    80 - Tombs (DK)/ Araze (Ret Paladin)
    65 - Meleinia (Mage)/ Celin (Spriest)

You want a druid or priest healer for a melee team, aside from the AOE healing they bring it allows you to tank, dps, and heal while kiting a "move out of the fire" boss...making all of those bosses quite easy. I roll 1 tank dk, 3 dps dks, 1 resto druid and have tried subbing out the resto druid for a resto shaman (I have alot of characters) and while I think it could be made to work....it was just yuk to play. IMO, you could go enhance on the shaman, resto on the druid, and tank with the paladin or warrior

Any melee group will work. Well, i'm still not sure on the warrior prot speced.

Reason Dk's work (and are going to get nerfed, but I will still be able to do heroics and anything else I want to do.) Is because of the fact that you have 5 tanks, 5dps, 5healers (sorta)...
    Any group with ONE dedicated healer can do anything (as long as it's an AOE healer), single healers work, but when it comes to heavy melee, like you are talking about, I love Shamans over anyone. Totem make my world, and chain heal is great.

I had a Warrior/Rogue/Paladin group going, and I have 2 hunters that I might throw in the group to start doing dungeons in BC. Is it going to work? Yes, of course its going to. Why? Because you have a tank,3 dps and a healer, just like any other group match up...

5 Druids, 3 dps, 1 tank, 1 healer.
    4 DK's and a healer.
    4 warrior's and a healer.
    1 tank 3 rogues and a healer.
    4 Rogues and a healer (Really high avoidance for tanking)

Seeing the pattern? Having a healer will make any group work as long as you spec right and do the correct macros for all the right situations...

How am I able to do Heroics with NO healer but all DK's? Macros, and my spec. Are DK's OP? I guess, but so is a Rogue that knows how to play his class, or just about any other class that knows how to play.
    You ever have a Paladin run up and OMFGONESHOTWIN!@ Yes, has happened on my DK's a lot. It's not hard for them to do that.
    I've also been shut down by a couple of Hemo Rogues. I call bullshit. But guess what? I'm a DK, I'm OP...

Can any class run into any situtaion and do PVP/PVE?
    No, not 100%, but guess what, they can change their gear out just as easy as I can and do another roll.

Can a Full BLOOD tank as good as a FULL FROST, or FULL UNHOLY?
    Nope, he can't.

Can a Warrior be Prot speced and then switch his gear out to be Fury?
    Nope, not really, but guess what, he dosen't want to be DPS, he wants to tank.

Druid can do the same thing, will they be 100% as another druid speced and geared for the job?
    Nope, but they can still do it.

But hey, guess what, Dual-spec is coming out, and that means there will be no more QQ that DK's are OP because that means anyone can swtich a spec and fill another roll just as easy as DK's can.
    A good fight is never clean.

(5Boxing Several sets of toons)