Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Heroic Trash

Default Heroic Trash

I've watched a lot of videos of Heroic dungeons being cleared, virtually all of them do not show anything about clearing trash. I know that the boss fight is what most folks are interested in, but I'm interested in getting trashed cleared efficiently too.

I'm runing a DK + 4 shaman, and I'm wondering how people handle pulls when they get 3 or more elite heroic trash mobs. Two mob pulls aren't really a problem. Three mob pulls seem like I'm healing quite a bit, and in some cases my DK tank will die. The obvious solution to that is to get good at using Hex and keeping one mob CC'd, or at least I think that's the obvious solution. The other possibility I suppose is that a DK tank with better gear might be able to handle 3 heroic trash mobs without that much difficulty?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated, thank you.

I don't have any videos to show, but I had a fairly large problem when I got to BC and started to hit the instances. I play a Paladin and 4x druid group. Bosses were going down easy, but it was taking forever to grind past all the trash mobs. Several hours per instance when it should be taking 40-60 min tops. Other than out leveling and out gearing the instance what sped it up the most for me was getting away from structured castsequence macros to all 5 toons runnnig cast randoms. I still use the castsequences on bosses, but just pulling and spamming increased trash kill efficiancy by 100 fold.

Its still not as no brainer or fast as my first group. 4mages and a priest, But I can get through an instance now and not have to take a break half way through for lunch, dinner, or a government holiday.

Rated Arena Member

Well considering your setup I will offer my advice cause I run the same thing:

Use Hex as often as you can (Even more then one target when you can).

Use your DK Bone Shield Proactive before large pulls and it also helps if you know what the mobs actually do (comes with time of running it so often). I know with my DK there are times I use Ice Bound Fort (Glyphed) when pulling 4+ trash mobs. Most of the time I burn one of them down the moment they reach my DK so its usually not an issue but never the less. Also don't be afraid to use TS on Round Robin. If you drop DnD and all the trash is inside of it, they will stay aggro on your tank for sure. Use TS to get some breathing room and get some extra heals on tank/dps whoever needs it.
    Gareatank Blood Elf Level 80 Protadin
    Gareatan Orc Level 80 DK Tank
    Gareb, Garec, Garee, Garef - Level 80 Troll Horde Shammies!
    Garea - Level 71 Horde Shammy!
    Garez, Garey, Garew, Garev, Gareu - Level 80 Draenei Alliance Shammies!
    Currently farming Horde Heroic Utgarde Keep, Utgarde Pinnacle, Gundrak, Drak'Tharon, and Culling of Stratholme(5 Drakes now)
    Azjol-Nerub-US

I was running a DK + 4 ele shaman, but this weekend I respec'd one of my girls to resto, and now a lot of fights I had problems with earlier are a joke now. Bone Shield and Earth Shield = a lot of damage the tank can take before a heal is needed. I had issues with mana on my new resto shaman, so I removed lightning bolt and chain lightning from her keybindings, and just throw a riptide whenever it's up, and it's pretty nice. The only thing I miss is the big DPS with 4 shaman, but I'm actually finding boss fights are a bit easier.

Edit: I've never used Hex in a heroic, I find that I'm too uncoordinated and the range is too short to really make it useful with my death knight's AoE.
    Siaea(h), Saiea(h), Seaie(h), Sieae(h), Seiae(h) - H(A) PvP
    Parting, Sadeness, Praetorium, Greetings, Salutations - H PvP
    Mullethead, Auderna, Jestitte, Zelynde, Serlena - H PvP
    Clotte, Tahru, Martitsu, Mikiel, Larain - H PvE
    Bonechewer - PvP - US

Default RE: Heroic Trash

Quote Originally Posted by 'Darm',index.php?page=Thread&postID=182286#post182 286
    I've watched a lot of videos of Heroic dungeons being cleared, virtually all of them do not show anything about clearing trash. I know that the boss fight is what most folks are interested in, but I'm interested in getting trashed cleared efficiently too.

I'm runing a DK + 4 shaman, and I'm wondering how people handle pulls when they get 3 or more elite heroic trash mobs. Two mob pulls aren't really a problem. Three mob pulls seem like I'm healing quite a bit, and in some cases my DK tank will die. The obvious solution to that is to get good at using Hex and keeping one mob CC'd, or at least I think that's the obvious solution. The other possibility I suppose is that a DK tank with better gear might be able to handle 3 heroic trash mobs without that much difficulty?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated, thank you.
    I've never had to use Hex before (I run DK + 4 ele shaman). The bottom line is, the better gear your tank has, the easier instances will be. You're better off spending everything you can just overgearing your tank before working on your shamans at all. However, if you're interested in a video that shows some trash, my Heroic Culling of Stratholme Timed run video shows the entire 25 minute run. Its in the movie forum under "This thread is a collection of my videos" - however, my web host is down right now so they probably won't be accessible again until tomorrow.

Aside from that, As a DK your cooldowns are almost available every single pull, so going into a tough pull just make sure to use bone shield first, and then use icebound fortitude shortly after pulling. At this point for me, if I use Bone shield + IBF on my DK, I can actually take down a pack of 4 heroic mobs without even healing my tank at all.
    <Multiplicity>
    Blood Elf Death Knight, 4 Orc Shaman - Burning Legion Horde US (PvP)
    Ellianaa - Haachoo - Hachu - Hachuu - Hahchoo

Heroics down: Gundrak, Drak'Tharon, Utgarde Keep, Utgarde Pinnacle, Culling of Stratholme, Halls of Lightning, Ahn'Kahet, Violet Hold, Nexus, Azjol-Nerub, Halls of Stone

Thank you everyone for the helpful thoughts.

Fursphere -- I'm running everything myself, using the DK as a "main" so to speak as that is onmy primary display, and the 4 DPS shaman are all secondary. I decided to see what would happen if I spec'd one of the shaman as resto.

If I can get Hex to work, this makes things more manageable, although it takes a little bit more micromanagement. But, if I have 3 heroic elites beating on my tank, it's a touch and go situation, and I'm in a little bit of a bind it seems like. I have to heal him an awful lot, and so naturally that means I'm not DPS'ing the targets down which naturally just leads to the need for more healing.

Perhaps it's my DKs gear. He has 23k hit points unbuffed in frost presence, and his defense is 538, with 12.7% dodge, 13.8% parry. Perhaps that is really the problem and he is just plain undergeared?

yea darm, it seems that your dk is pretty undergeared for tanking effectively. Might i suggest getting in on a couple pug runs of heroics for tank gear. Gear up your tank solo for a bit, as this helped with my team quite a bit. check out the tank info at elitistjerks.com in the dk info, there's a "pre raid" gear list for gearing up to start raiding. Try to pick a couple instances that have upgrades, and just run them solo and try to get the items you need, gem and enchant em up and then go back and try with your box toons after you get a few more upgrades good luck!

If you want something far less painful than pugs, just run 5x dailies for a few days and buy your tank everything he'll need to be good. The first time I set foot in a heroic my tank was already geared well and I'd never even been in a level 80 instance yet. Some BoE items you can easily get:

Titansteel Helm (the +def one)
    Titanium Earthguard Chain (necklace)
    Titanium Earthguard Ring
    Daunting Legplates
    Tempered Saronite gear (bracers, gloves, etc)

That should be enough to get you to 535 def, a high health level, and other decent stats.
    <Multiplicity>

Heroics down: Gundrak, Drak'Tharon, Utgarde Keep, Utgarde Pinnacle, Culling of Stratholme, Halls of Lightning, Ahn'Kahet, Violet Hold, Nexus, Azjol-Nerub, Halls of Stone

You need better gear and (perhaps) tanking tips, but really most of it is about picking the best gear.

After getting all your characters "good" gear, it should be your top priority to get your tank the "best" gear you can get your hands on.

I blew about 10k gold getting all the best stuff for my pally tank ASAP.
    After that, trash was no problem, although I still had occasional issues with DPS boss fights.
    The DPS fights became trivial once my shamans hit around 1800SP unbuffed
    Someguy: "You must really like playing with yourself"
    Me: "OH HELLS YEAH!"

Quote Originally Posted by 'Fursphere',index.php?page=Thread&postID=182442#po st182442
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Darm',index.php?page=Thread&postID=182332#post182 332
    Fursphere -- I'm running everything myself, using the DK as a "main" so to speak as that is onmy primary display, and the 4 DPS shaman are all secondary. I decided to see what would happen if I spec'd one of the shaman as resto.
    Switch one of the Shaman to Resto and gear him/her that way. Then setup some extra keys for dedicated tank healing.

That alone will make the difference. Heroic trash hits really really really hard. You need heals on the tank, no matter how geared you are.
    See my post a few posts up about tanking 4 heroic mobs without needing a single heal :P
    <Multiplicity>