Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 18

Default Moonkin Spell Rotation ?

I have search the forums and haven't found an answer
    With the short cast, I spam Wrath most of the time but I am lost as to when the best time to use Starfire is.

My current longer dps macro is something like this : (i don't have it in front of me)
    /castsequence reset=11/target moonfire, wrath, wrath, wrath, wrath, wrath, wrath
    to keep the dot up.

I am running a mixed group so I can't watch for procs to cast Starfire as some suggest.

so... Wrath vs. Starfire in a spell rotation?

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

PVE and PVP teams on Lightninghoof-US (lvl 70+)

If I recall correctly, the proc chance on wrath for starfire is so low, its not worth planning for. I'd stick with

Code:
    /castsequence Moonfire, Insect Swarm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    /cast Wrath
    With wrath having such a short cast time, the sequence lag for a /castsequence involving wrath will really drag down your dps.

The way I handle my moonkin in my mixed group is 2 action bars. I'm not at home to see my exact macros but they are something like:

Bar 1
    /castseq [tar=etc.] reset=10/target moonfire, null
    /castseq [tar=etc.] Starfire spam

Bar 2
    /castseq [tar=etc.] reset=10/target insect swarm, null
    /castseq [tar=etc.] wrath spam

I then map a button to /swapactionbar 1 2 or w/e and I just hit that button whenever I see the big eclipse moon over my moonkins head. That gets use of the eclipse proc which is huge DPS for a druid.

Another option I have used is, since you aren't watching for procs anyway, is to spec eclipse and just use a
    /castsequence Starfire, Wrath That way when you hit your eclipse procs you use them thought free. Both spells very similar DPS and you might even try

/castsequence [tar=etc.] Starfire,,Starfire,,Starfire,,Starfire,,Starfire,, Starfire
    /castsequence [tar=etc.] ,,Wrath,,Wrath,,Wrath,,Wrath,,Wrath,,Wrath

I believe I saw a thread somewhere saying you can use both in the same macro to eliminate cast sequence lag issues.
    And the proc chances are
    60% on wrath crit -> starfire buff
    100% on starfire crit -> wrath buff
    The buff has a ~45 second? internal cooldown and I proc this thing like mad.
    Depending on gear of course but starfire spam is better for proc's until your gear passes a certain % crit, not sure what that number is though.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Bigfish',index.php?page=Thread&postID=167392#post 167392
    With wrath having such a short cast time, the sequence lag for a /castsequence involving wrath will really drag down your dps.
    Quote Originally Posted by 'genocyde',index.php?page=Thread&postID=167398#pos t167398
    I believe I saw a thread somewhere saying you can use both in the same macro to eliminate cast sequence lag issues.
    I have seen people reference this /castsequcence lag before. what is the deal?

PVE and PVP teams on Lightninghoof-US (lvl 70+)

Default RE: Moonkin Spell Rotation ?

Quote Originally Posted by 'Feider',index.php?page=Thread&postID=167389#post1 67389
    I have search the forums and haven't found an answer
    With the short cast, I spam Wrath most of the time but I am lost as to when the best time to use Starfire is.

My current longer dps macro is something like this : (i don't have it in front of me)
    /castsequence reset=11/target moonfire, wrath, wrath, wrath, wrath, wrath, wrath
    to keep the dot up.

I am running a mixed group so I can't watch for procs to cast Starfire as some suggest.

so... Wrath vs. Starfire in a spell rotation?

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

On my 5x moonkin team I usually open with starfire, then follow with wraths.

You can see how I play them in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs5NLDmV4fQ

*edit* Nevermind, I didn't realise you had a mixed group. In a mixed group I'd probably just spam wrath. I didn't even bother putting talent points in the starfire/wrath proc thing. Too much effort on my part to watch for that, even in a 5x boomkin group. I'm lazy....
    The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
    And the circling is worth it,
    Finding beauty in the
    dissonance

Talented into eclipse I've been using this sequence:

/castsequence reset=combat/target Insect Swarm, Wrath, Starfire, Wrath, Starfire, Wrath, Starfire, Wrath

With this my boomkins dps has been on par if not better than the rest of my team. I haven't tested a straight wrath spam since level 55ish so I'm not sure how it would compare.
    [align=center] Horde Illidan US

5 man mixed: Prot Pally, Frost Mage, Ele Shaman, Balance Druid, Holy Priest

http://reported-and-banned.blogspot.com
    [/align]

Also, keep in mind that while Wrath and Starfire have similar DPS, Wrath is much less mana efficient.

Assuming talents to speed up cast time and SP bonus, here's the breakdown for Wrath versus Starfire spam at level 80, assuming 1500 spell power and ignoring crit:

Wrath
    Mana cost 385
    Base damage (avg) 588
    SP coefficient (talented) 0.67
    Spell power 1500
    Average hit (without crit) 1593
    Cast time (talented) 1.5
    DPS 1062
    MPS 256

Starfire
    Mana cost 559
    Base damage (avg) 1120
    SP coefficient (talented) 1.2
    Spell power 1500
    Average hit (without crit) 2920
    Cast time (talented) 3
    DPS 973
    MPS 186

These numbers don't change appreciably with increasing spell power. Wrath gives you about 9% more DPS at a cost of nearly 40% more mana per second. That's a pretty awful tradeoff for most purposes. I wouldn't touch Wrath in dungeons, anyway, unless you are specced into Eclipse and going to manage the spell rotation manually.
    Current team: Shnoght (DK) + 4 elemental shamans (Shalph, Sheta, Shamma, Shepsilon)
    Heroics cleared: Drak'Tharon, VH, CoS, UK, Gundrak, HoL, Nexus

Waiting in the wings at 80: Shaladin (pally), Shmage (mage), Shruud/Shrued (boomkins), Shelta (leftover shaman)

<Chain Lightning>, Alliance Bonechewer

nice vid, I would have liked to see you take out the prince though
    US - Garona - Horde
    3x Sham + 1 Boom (Mooietonto, Mooiebravo, Mooiemacho, Eldude)
    1-----|-----10-----|-----20-----|-----30-----|-----40-----|-----50-----|-----60-----|-----70-----|-----80

3 x mage + 1 priest(Níghtofnee, Nightofneé, Nightofnée, Scareyspice)
    1-----|-----10-----|-----20------|-----30-----|-----40-----|-----50-----|-----60-----|----70-----|-----80

Quote Originally Posted by emesis',index.php?page=Thread&postID=167409#post16 7409]Also, keep in mind that while Wrath and Starfire have similar DPS, Wrath is much less mana efficient.

Assuming talents to speed up cast time and SP bonus, here's the breakdown for Wrath versus Starfire spam at level 80, assuming 1500 spell power and ignoring crit:

[font='Courier New, Courier, mono
    Wrath
    Mana cost 385
    Base damage (avg) 588
    SP coefficient (talented) 0.67
    Spell power 1500
    Average hit (without crit) 1593
    Cast time (talented) 1.5
    DPS 1062
    MPS 256

Starfire
    Mana cost 559
    Base damage (avg) 1120
    SP coefficient (talented) 1.2
    Spell power 1500
    Average hit (without crit) 2920
    Cast time (talented) 3
    DPS 973
    MPS 186
    [/font]

These numbers don't change appreciably with increasing spell power. Wrath gives you about 9% more DPS at a cost of nearly 40% more mana per second. That's a pretty awful tradeoff for most purposes. I wouldn't touch Wrath in dungeons, anyway, unless you are specced into Eclipse and going to manage the spell rotation manually.
    Interesting! Did you use a tool of some sort to calcute that? I'd like to see stats for other classes as well with their spells.
    The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
    And the circling is worth it,
    Finding beauty in the
    dissonance

Quote Originally Posted by 'Feider',index.php?page=Thread&postID=167401#post1 67401
    I have seen people reference this /castsequcence lag before. what is the deal?
    When you use a /castsequence, the spells have to complete before the sequence moves on to the next spell in the order. This is tracked by the server, so there is a lag between spells while you are waiting for the server to send back a positive response that the spell fired off. As such there is a difference between /castsequence wrath, wrath, wrath, wrath and spamming /cast wrath. In the case of the sequence, you are continually trying to cast the first wrath in the sequence until you get a response telling you that the first wrath fired, and then you start casting the second wrath in the sequence. If your latency is 0, it non-existant. If it is 300 MS, you're waiting .3 seconds between casts while you are getting confirmation.

On the other hand, if you spam /cast wrath, it continually tries to cast the spell, and so as soon as the first wrath goes off, you are starting to cast a new one.

Now in small timed cases, the difference is minimal. In the case of short cast spells over a long period of time, where you would normally get off 40 casts in a minute, you are now getting off only 33.