Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 27

Default Most wow clients on one PC

I am interested in what people think or know the most wow clients one PC can run at a time and what pc specs would be needed. I am not talking about running 4 or 5. I am looking at something much higher like 8 or more would be my goal.

Each wow client would run as follows
    800x600, all settings on low, no mods running, each client minimized always

Since all the clients will be minimized how important will the video card be? Memory doesn't seem to be an issue since each client in my test so far only are taking 40-50mb loaded and worse case 100mb so 4-8 GB of ram would be easy to manage that. I am guessing quad core would be the way to go but would a quad core dual Xeon allow me to run much more or would that be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fursphere',index.php?page=Thread&postID=140727#pos t140727]1) Welcome to the board.

2) [url='http://www.dual-boxing.com/forums/index.php?page=Thread&postID=14540
    Community Guidelines - Read Before Posting[/url]

3) 10 Boxing with 1 PC (Please at least attempt to use the search feature next time)

There is a link to another thread in that one of a successfull 8 on 1 boxer. Another post about 12. But I don't recall seeing anything higher than that.
    Sorry the links posted just talked about if people had done it and really no details other then the site in german.

I was hoping for more details such as is the video card important if the program is always minimized. Also other ideas.

I would love to be able to run 16 or even 24 on a single pc but need to know what direction. So I will ask these questions.

Quad core 2.4ghz, 8gb memory, random 512mb video card. All clients 800x600 and minimized. Do you think I can run 12 clients on this pc?

Dual Xeon Quad core 2.0ghz, 8gb memory, random 1gb video card. All clients 800x600 and minimized. Do you think I can run 24 clients on this pc?

I am not looking to play these clients.. so they will basically be sitting still doing nothing. This is more of a experiment then anything. My theory is that you can run 3 clients per core in a PC. My main unknown is can the video card handle it in this case, remember all clients will be minimized all the time.

13 on a pretty average quad-core Phenom with a Fusion-IO SSD - http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39600/135/

Granted I only got to the load screen because we didn't have enough accounts to sign in.

I could probably get 15-20 on my Skulltrail IF I had a really fast SSD and more system memory. I'm sure there are people out there who are probably doing the same thing, but have chosen to keep quiet about it. As far as games go, WoW is pretty lenient on system usage ... we're not talking about playing Crysis here.

The question has been asked in various forms here... just the other day someone asked if a monster rack-mount server could run several copies of WoW.

Of course that's pushing what some people might call a "PC", but if you're going for bragging rights that might do the trick.

Why don't you load up WoW on your machine and keep loading extra copies until it croaks. Then extrapolate from there.

Quote Originally Posted by 'not5150',index.php?page=Thread&postID=140736#post 140736
    13 on a pretty average quad-core Phenom with a Fusion-IO SSD - http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39600/135/

Granted I only got to the load screen because we didn't have enough accounts to sign in.

I could probably get 15-20 on my Skulltrail IF I had a really fast SSD and more system memory. I'm sure there are people out there who are probably doing the same thing, but have chosen to keep quiet about it. As far as games go, WoW is pretty lenient on system usage ... we're not talking about playing Crysis here.
    Skulltrailis the MB I was looking at getting if I went Dual Xeon. Only problem is that the price triples from the Quad core to the Dual Xeon Quad core but it would be worth it IMO. What OS supports Dual Xeon?

Skulltrail is crazy talk, mobo is 600 bucks alone. Get the new i7 chip, it's hawt.

200 WOWs...

While this person got flamed for not actually playing the game I still think no one will beat his 200+ wows at once
    [spoiler][/spoiler]Shaone,Shatwo,Shathree,Shafour,Shafive
    <Zero Tolerance>
    Level: 70
    Server: Azgalor
    Race: Orc / Blood Elf

If its true that wow does not write to drives untill log out, then with a SSD drive I don't really see 10 or 15 as an upper limit.

Rather then the resolution of each client the total screen resolution is what you need to minimize as that is what you have to render. (i.e. you put 10 800X600 on one screen isnt less then one 1024 X 786), thats why I prefer the full screen each client type set up.

You really won't know unless you have a SSD drive though.

If its true that wow does not write to drives untill log out, then with a SSD drive I don't really see 10 or 15 as an upper limit.

Rather then the resolution of each client the total screen resolution is what you need to minimize as that is what you have to render. (i.e. you put 10 800X600 on one screen isnt less then one 1024 X 786), thats why I prefer the full screen each client type set up.

Any decent video card will render 1260X900 (or whatever it is), and switch to another 1260X900 fairly fast. So no bottleneck there. I mean even if you have a 1920 X 1200 monitor a 9800 video will handle that np also.

How much processor power do you need for background clients, not a whole lot I would thinks.

SSD is kinda like infinate ram so no bottleneck there.

I dont see where there is a bottleneck.

For the price of a skulltrain you can get multiple computers that are way more powerfull in total.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Sam DeathWalker',index.php?page=Thread&postID=140805#p ost140805

Any decent video card will render 1260X900 (or whatever it is), and switch to another 1260X900 fairly fast. So no bottleneck there. I mean even if you have a 1920 X 1200 monitor a 9800 video will handle that np also.

How much processor power do you need for background clients, not a whole lot I would thinks.

SSD is kinda like infinate ram so no bottleneck there.

I dont see where there is a bottleneck.

For the price of a skulltrain you can get multiple computers that are way more powerfull in total.
    I was planning on just running a single 250gb HDD.... So is that going to limit me? Why SSD over that?