Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 11

Default SSD is it really worth it ?

Well I have recently read a benchmark review on the diffrence between traditional hds and ssd's, in that it states that yes it clearly reads the data allot faster off the drive. But when it comes to writing it, it then is by far ogbsolete. With that a rapter hd crazy cheaper and though reads a little bit slower then the sd, it writes allot faster then the ssd.. Then comes to the multi layer ssds, and that they are pretty much crap and cant even compeate anywhere near the rapters, so your looking at 600+ for a single layer ssd compaired to 139.99 (priced on newegg)

So when it comes to multi boxing, I was wondering how often and how much does wow write to the drive after the intial install ?

(Undederstandably, the ssd upkeep is normally by far easyer to maintain because you never have to defragment it and in most cases tend to use less electricity)

Well, if you *really*really*really* want to you could probably split things across 2 drives, one for mostly read-only data and one for writing. Writing being slow bothers me because Windows has a habit of using the swap file quite often even if you have loads of RAM. If you have any kind of logging turned on then you are usually writing to the disk all the time as well but usually disk writes go into a cache these days that gets flushed to the disk periodically, if I am not mistaken. I could be talking out of my ass, not an expert on HDD.
    The Orcks of War
    Shaman Borck Zorck Dorck Porck Corck
    Mixed Team - Msblonde - Mswhite - Msblack - Msred - Msbrown -

You should only put the read only stuff from wow on to the SSD drive and symlink to it (mainly the Data folder). The problem I see with it is if you have a low amount of ram then the info will be read much quicker into ram therefore filling up your ram quicker (I could be wrong)

Cache folder I believe has stuff written to it as needed (which I dont think is that often)
    Data Folder is read only unless your patching
    Interface is read only unless your updating/installing an addon
    WTF writes whenever you change any ingame settings (change an addon setting, creat a macro etc)
    Screenshot only writes when you take a screenshot
    Patch writes when a new patch is out

Well after your responces it made me figure to go check out the technical forums and post.. Already got a blue responce so with that http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...51935103&sid=1
    "Hi Mìlk,

World of Warcraft does not write to the hard drive during operation. All saves are done when you exit the game. That's why you lose all customizations that you make if the game ends up crashing on you. This is assuming you have enough RAM to where you will not need to make use of the system swap file. "
    So with this new i will now be looking at the ssd drives... Thanks for your guys responces, I appreciate it.

I wonder if thats true when it comes to running multiple clients

Quote Originally Posted by 'ChaoticMonk',index.php?page=Thread&postID=131128# post131128
    I wonder if thats true when it comes to running multiple clients
    I'm sure it's true in terms of the game itself. I doubt the instances of the game are really aware of each other. However if you're running 5 clients and bumping up against the max your RAM can hold, then it's likely the OS will be swapping some stuff to disk. The game can't really control that aside from using less memory.
    WowVoiceBox - Free speech recognition program designed for multiboxers!

Retired Multi-boxer

I haven been using a SSD drive for a month and i LOVE IT ! no writing noise when running in shattath, got quite a huge boost in performace.
    Upgrading from 4-8GB ram and getting Vista 64 was a even bigger jump in performace, i can run around in shattath without loosing follow now

Btw, using a lowlevel Geforce 8800 gfx
    No brand motherboard (crap one).
    Onboard LAN
    etc.
    In the process of leveling 3 teams (5x Shamans, 5xDruids, 4warlocks+priest). Status: All lvl 59+

Realm: Ravencrest, horde (EU), Main = Cada

Your computer need an upgrade? SSD ftw! OCZ Core 64GB MLC SSD Review.. (Testing in progress..)

The newer ssd drive that came out in the last month beat the stuffing out of any hard drive read or write such as Mtron PRO 7500 or Intel X25-E
    only thing a standard hard drive has over on it is storage space.

There is a big article on ssd drives in maximum pc (nov issue) where I read about the diffrences and saw the bench mark tests, that is if any of you want to read up more on them.

I've been running 5box on a SSD drive for 3 weeks now. Works great. I just symlink my DATA\ and INTERFACE\ folder to my SSD drive, everything else (cache, logs, errors, etc) is on my 500GB SATA drive.

Its a decent performance gain, esp since I only paid $100 for the drive from newegg. Its not a huge performance gain. If you are frustrating with low FPS or lag, I do not think a SSD will solve your problem. You need some technical knowledge to correctly link the data folders to the new drive.

A faster CPU, more memory (upgrading to vista64 for 8GB), a better video card, defrag, and faster hard drive are all things imo that are better done before getting a SSD. Once all those things are done, you can 5 box at 60fps easily, and then add a SSD for a minor performance bump.