Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 13

Default Target-and-Hold, Focusless, Leaderless system.

During my initial experiments into Dual-boxing with a Paladin/Shaman I was running a target-and-hold assist macro on all my offensive spells. This allowed the Paladin to build agro, or taunt a different target to the one my Shaman was currently killing. The code for the macro was found in these forums but for clarity, here it is:

Mage Support Fireball (Xzin):

Code:
    /cast [exists,harm,nodead] fireball
     /stopmacro [exists,harm,nodead]
     /assist party1
     /cast [exists,harm,nodead,combat] fireball; [exists,harm,nodead,nocombat] pyroblast
    When running with an actual tank the utility of such macros is surprisingly powerful, but during my first forays into Quad-boxing with 4 four pure DPS (Warlocks and the Mages) there was no longer a tank and these assist macros became obsolete.

My ‘locks were in the late 50s by the time I read about the “Targetless, Focusless, Leaderless” system here and, as I was intending to start four Mages I decided to attempt to implement the system on the new group. Eight “played” hours later I finally had my newly purchased copy of Keyclone set up running the hotstrings and my first fireball macro working.

If you’ve not tried the leaderless system you really should, it is a thing of beauty. I quickly decided that making hotstrings for individual spells as documented in the thread was a little pointless and instead created generic hotstrings for each function key. I actually use a Saitek Command Unit (A bit like a Belkin n52) and programmed all the main keys to F1-F12.

My hotstrings are then generalised to the number keys, unmodified and with CTRL/ALT. Leaving the unmodified keystroke gives the benefit of keeping the SHIFT modifier open and allowing me to use it as a page state for my two hotbars. I can then have a second function for each key, while remaining completely leaderless. Obviously leaving SHIFT open in this way is not possible for five boxing.

Hotstrings are mapped as follows (only F1 to demonstrate the example):

Code:
    Toon1:
     F1 --> B1A1
     LCTRL+1 --> B1A2
     LALT+1 --> B1A3
    LALT+LCTRL+1 --> B1A4

Toon2:
    F1 --> B1A2
    1 --> B1A1
    LALT+1 --> B1A3
     LALT+LCTRL+1 --> B1A4

Toon3:
    F1 --> B1A3
    1 --> B1A1
    LCTRL+1 --> B1A2
    LALT+LCTRL+1 --> B1A4

Toon4:
     F1 --> B1A4
    1 --> B1A1
     LCTRL+1 --> B1A2
     LALT+1 --> B1A3
    My generic hotstring convention is simply Button1Assist1 (B1A1), or Button2Assist4 (B2A4).

Keybindings are made across two hotbars loosly named “Leader” and “Slave” with F1-F12 mapped to leader and “1” through “=” mapped to the slave bar. The mappings are the same across all sessions. I then create one further bar to hold the leaderless assist macro so all spells only need to use “/click button”. It saves typing and macro space, working this way I have yet to need the 255 chars allowed by the standard WoW macro interface.

Spells are added to the toon by dropping the basic spell into master and the macro’d slave spell into the slave bar. The basic leaderless macros look like this:

Assist macro:
    Code:
    /target [nomod:ctrl,nomod:alt,target=Toon1][mod:ctrl,nomod:alt,target=Toon2][mod:alt,nomod:ctrl,target=Toon3][mod:ctrl,mod:alt,target=Toon4]
    Slave Spell macro:
    Code:
    /click assist_macro 
     /cast [target=targettarget, harm] Spell  
    /targetlasttarget
    Slave Follow Macro:
    Code:
    /click assist_macro
    /follow
    /targetlasttarget
    To get the actual button name for your /click statement type:
    Code:
    /print GetMouseFocus():GetName()
    Into the chat box and press enter while hovering over the button in question, its name
    will be returned.

This has been working extremely well for me, allowing any toon to be played solo as expected and being generic allows a new group to be setup in a matter of minutes.

And then I added a Tankadin back into the mix. Now all of a sudden I was not happy with the performance of my macro system. Often when one of my multi mob pulls agro’d a dps I would find it extremely difficult to grab agro back with the tank. I would target the errant monster, smack taunt and simultaneously lay into it with 3 lightning bolts. What I really wanted was my Shamans to continue killing their designated target while my tank continues his job of retaining agro on the whole pull.

I figured it had to be possible to modify the leaderless system to a target-and-hold one while retaining the benefits of keeping focus open for CC and staying entirely generic in setup. This is what I came up with:

Firstly I added a second assist macro, I called this one Harm (my target-and-hold)

Harm:
    Code:
    /stopmacro [exists, harm, nodead] 
     /assist [nomod:ctrl,nomod:alt,target=Toon1][mod:ctrl,nomod:alt,target=Toon2][mod:alt,nomod:ctrl,target=Toon3][mod:ctrl,mod:alt,target=Toon4]
    And took “targetlasttarget” out of my offensive spells:
    Code:
    /click harm_button 
     /cast [exists, harm, nodead] lightning bolt
    This is relying on the interesting behaviour of /stopmacro within a /click. When the harm macro is /clicked and you already have a target that fits the [harm, nodead] criteria the Harm macro is stopped. It does not however stop execution of the macro that called it and the lightning bolt is cast. If Harm is clicked and you have a no (or a friendly) target your current leaders, ie the one you are currently moused into and playing on, is aquired. Harm execution stops and we drop back to the cast macro, casting a lightning bolt at our new target.

The old Assist macro is retained for use by beneficial or “one shot” spells (to say, inturrupt the healer):

Interrupt:
    Code:
    /click assist_button  
    /cast [target=targettarget] stun  
    /targetlasttarget
    Which rather nicely returns to our original kill target on completion.

There are two, minor, drawbacks of running the target-and-hold like this or indeed any similar system. Should you actually want to change target while the “kill target” is still alive then you need to use an extra assist or clear target key. It’s rarely needed and as such is a minor inconvenience.

The second only really applies to PvP players and that is the loss of target obfuscation. In a true targetless system you can have a different opponent targeted on each toon making it much more difficult for them to see who you are about to hit, or even who the current leader is.

I only play PvE but it’s pretty easy to swap a couple of macros around and become totally targetless for an arena or two and then swap back again for a dungeon run.

Credit for the “Targetless, Focusless, Leaderless” system goes to it’s original designer Šeceased, I hope those who read this modification of this fine system find it useful, or at least informative. Let’s call it my re-payment to a community that’s been invaluable to my adventures in multiboxing.

<EDITED to correct macro code I typed from memory and to add Follow macro for completeness>

Very cool. I will try this out on my shaman and hunters. It won't work on my Warlock because I do the "DoT and Run" technique of farming where I do actually change targets frequently while they are still alive. It does solve a number of other issues for me and I like how you make use of /click, it is the first time I have seen it implemented in a useful way.

Please get this added to the Wiki

Cool macros. I don't have a macro that lets my guys hit a different target from the tank. Most of the time I don't want it, but there are some times when I want to get aggro on a new target. I should borrow some macros here and make one of my keys a sticky key which keeps them hitting the first guy they acquire just in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Caspian',index.php?page=Thread&postID=129265#post 129265
    Very cool. I will try this out on my shaman and hunters. It won't work on my Warlock because I do the "DoT and Run" technique of farming where I do actually change targets frequently while they are still alive. It does solve a number of other issues for me and I like how you make use of /click, it is the first time I have seen it implemented in a useful way.

Well, technically you wouldn't lose that. You would put the target-and-hold Harm macro as the assist for shadowbolt but put the original assist for DoTs. That way you could blast away at the boss while dropping dots onto another target when required.

I have a question about this leaderless setup. I only recently started delving into 4boxing ( I feel like if I go for 5, I will need to go into Rehab.) I have noticed that many of the macros in here I don't really understand until I use them in game, and then the light comes on.

So if I understand this system, you are manually telling 4 toons which other toon you want them to assist every time you fight and this requires you to have 5 binds to work, and the same but modified macro for each toon?

WIth this system, how does follow work, or are you using something like Jamba?

My current setup is basically 4 casters that nuke mobs before they get hit, and use Frost Nova and Stoneclaw totems to get out from a group of mobs. Usually, one of the shaman ends up "tanking" while the other 3 continue to cast so would a targetless system like this be more or less useful than my current "target main" "assist main targettarget" setup?

Quote Originally Posted by 'ZorbaTheGeek',index.php?page=Thread&postID=129281 #post129281
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Caspian',index.php?page=Thread&postID=129265#post 129265

Well, technically you wouldn't lose that. You would put the target-and-hold Harm macro as the assist for shadowbolt but put the original assist for DoTs. That way you could blast away at the boss while dropping dots onto another target when required.
    True, my locks are still little though, so no bosses for now. Just running around DoTing and leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by 'AtroxCasus',index.php?page=Thread&postID=129286#p ost129286
    So if I understand this system, you are manually telling 4 toons which other toon you want them to assist every time you fight and this requires you to have 5 binds to work, and the same but modified macro for each toon?

WIth this system, how does follow work, or are you using something like Jamba?
    It's only actually two keybinds, one is the current driving toon (the one you have the mouse in and controlling directly) and the second is everyone else. That second keybind is sent to each WoW session with a different, but consistent, modifier by virtue of keyclones hotstring function. The assist macro (identical on all toons) then use the modifier combination that the keystroke arrived with to determine which WoW session currently has focus and assist the correct toon accordingly.

In reality it's much more difficult to explain than to use, and surprisingly, not all that difficult to get set up once you've got a handle on the concept. Once you have everything up and running you can ENTIRELY forget about who is leader and just play from wherever you have the mouse or whichever toon you currently have PiP'ed. If the toon you are driving on dies, no problem, just mouse into another window, target something and keep on killing. Other than the drop in dps you'll not even notice the difference.

I added the follow macro into the original post, it's exactly the same as in the original leaderless system but it's there in case people have not seen both posts.

Trying to use /click and I get a ui error. I use Bartender3 and it looks like its restricted from using the /click command.

Am I missing something?
    80 Blood Elf Paladin, 80 Blood Elf Priest,80 Troll Mage, 80 Undead Warlock, 80 Tauren Druid, 80 Undead Rogue
    80 x4 Shaman (Orc x3, Troll)

Madoran - Horde - PvE

Quote Originally Posted by 'Greythan',index.php?page=Thread&postID=130506#pos t130506
    Trying to use /click and I get a ui error. I use Bartender3 and it looks like its restricted from using the /click command.

Am I missing something?
    You don't actually use "assist_macro" - you use the name of the button you put the assist_macro on. You get the name of the button by hovering you mouse over the button and typing "/print GetMouseFocus():GetName()" and the name of that button will be returned to you in the chat window.

Bartender buttons are named BT3Button13 through BT3Button120

Understood. And when I type /click bt3buttonXX I get an error. Something asking me if I want to turn off bartender due to /click being protected. (Don't have the exact error atm)
    80 Blood Elf Paladin, 80 Blood Elf Priest,80 Troll Mage, 80 Undead Warlock, 80 Tauren Druid, 80 Undead Rogue
    80 x4 Shaman (Orc x3, Troll)

Madoran - Horde - PvE