Close
Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Default 7.5-meter diameter panoramic display system

http://www.pinktentacle.com/2007/11/...ramic-display/

On October 31, Mitsubishi Electric unveiled a 2-meter tall, 7.5-meter diameter panoramic display system consisting of synchronized rear-projection displays arranged in a wall that encircles the viewer. The 150 million yen ($1.3 million) system, which was built-to-order at the company’s Kyoto factory where it was unveiled, consists of 17 pairs of 67-inch panels arranged in a 340-degree near-circle — the 20-degree gap presumably allows the viewer to enter and exit the walk-in display. The system uses Texas Instruments Digital Light Processing (DLP) technology and has a total resolution of 27 million (1024 x 768 x 34) pixels.

At the unveiling, Mitsubishi said it will deliver the panoramic display system to the customer early next year, but the company was unwilling to say who the customer was or how they intend to use the display. However, Mitsubishi did say it hopes to begin selling the system as a virtual reality display for use at museums or in applications such as traffic simulations.
    The Zins - 10 Boxing
    Xzin, Azin, Bzin, Czin, Dzin
    Xyzin, Ayzin, Byzin, Cyzin, Dyzin
    Magtheridon - US

The sad part is that my monitor array has almost 10 megapixels MORE than this and cost CONSIDERABLY LESS than 1.31 Million.
    The Zins - 10 Boxing
    Magtheridon - US

woulndt this be easly accomplished by using cheap projectors in a multimonitor enviroment? I cant possibly see a good reason for why this system should cost that much.

I can't see any reason either. You can get projectors for $500 - $800. Take 17 times that and get something under 15 grand with install. Throw chromium or some other distributed X on it and presto. I don't get it.
    The Zins - 10 Boxing
    Magtheridon - US