Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Default A few quick Start off questions.

Im looking into Multi-boxing, and i wanted to ask a few questions about some of the hardware i would need.

First off, what stand(s) should i use? I found three different types that might work.

<< i could use three of those and put them side by side.

<< I could use that (maybe two of um ?? one up on some sort of box or something up behind the first one) (couldnt get the front view picture to show up).

<< looks like that would be the easiest option. All 6 on one stand.

^ any suggestions on those stands would help alot. Price isnt that much of a deal but i still want to go with the cheapest and most effective method.

Monitors- since all those mounts i listed were for 19' screens, i chose this monitor (also all the cheap desktops that borderline run WoW came with 17" screens, so i wanted to get the one that didnt come w/ a monitor, and buy one seperately.

<<thats it- $223.99

Now for the actual computer. Again, I chose the monitor-less one because it would have come with a 17" and not 19" so the stands apparently wouldnt fit. Its $329 (again... monitor-less). Specs below.

Processor- Intel® Pentium® dual-core processor E2180 (1MB L2, 2.00GHz, 800FSB) <<Copy and Paste =]

Ram- 1GB2 Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 DIMM) << On that 1GB2, the 2 is suppost to be superscript.

Hard Drive- 250GB3 Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ << again, the 3 in 250GB3 is suppost to be superscript.

Video Card- Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

Sound Card- Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio << Dont really matter, i dont need sound on my alt/slave computers, just use the one on my main.

What i want to know is if the specs i listed above would run WoW good enough to multibox w/o much trouble.

Thats about it for now, once i figure out those ill move onto the other hardware i need, then software. I read some guides on the forums, they really helped alot and put me on the right track, but they didnt answer all my questions.

Thanks for all your help.

-Austin

Video Card- Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 is pretty horrid but looks like you plan on getting 1 PC per slave? Might be able to get away with it.

It might be worth considering larger monitors and better PC's running multiple clients on each. It does depend if you are planning on software or hardware multiboxing though.

Some LCD's like my Dell 24" will rotate vertically allowing to run a very similar setup to your top image.
    2019 (40 - Priest/Mage/Mage/Mage/Mage) (16 - 5x Druid)
    2008 (60 - 2x Paladin 3x Mage) (64 - Moonkins) (70 - Shamans)

unless i missed it, you didn't mention how many wows you want to box. 6? or 5 with a window for the browser reference?

as for the computer... today, you can easily 5 box on a single quad core w/ 4gb of memory. just get a good graphics board (nvidia 280), system memory (ddr3 if it's not too pricey) and a good mother board (790i ftw).

as for the monitor, you might want to go with rotating monitors and put 2 on each... like elo did (it doesn't look as crazy when you aren't boxing)

if you have any questions, please feel free to drop me a note.

ok, sounds like you guys are suggeting better computers but less of them also. So if im doing 6 screens, with top middle being for browsing or w/e else, then ill use 3 or 2 computers?

Setup:

screens:

1 2 3

4 5 6

With computers for each? like one computer running 1 and 4, the other running 3 and 6, and then my computer running 2 and 5? I know im going to have to get better computers if im going to do that.

I pretty much just need to know what hardware i specifically need to have (specs wise) for what im going to do. that is, if ^ that option it the right way to do it.

How many screens could this run at once? BTW it is alienware.

Processor: AMD® Phenom™ X4 9950 Black Edition Quad Core 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache

Graphics Processor: Dual 512MB GDDR5 ATI® Radeon® HD 4870 with CrossFire™ Technology

Memory: 4GB† Low Latency Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 1066MHz

Motherboard: Alienware® Approved AMD® 790FX Motherboard
    Includes PCI-Express 2.0, BIOS Overclocking Utility, and Support for AMD Phenom Quad-Core Processors

System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 750GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache

The first question is how many accounts do you want to box at once?

The second question is what is your goal end game? PVP PVE or both?

For 5 accounts you can easily do them on one machine, with the right spec's it's even pretty damn smooth for most cases. I would say that I have polished all the glitches out of my software system but i'm still considering hardware when it comes down to actually PVPing in arena's. I'll know for sure once my shammies hit 70 and I get a chance to actually do some pvp with them. The limited PVP I've done is a few BG's and some world PVP (PVEserver) so it's far too early for me to be the judge.

I don't however know of any top ranked PVP boxers using a software solution... I could be wrong though.
    [> Sam I Am (80) <] [> Team Doublemint <][> Hexed (60) (retired) <]
    [> Innerspace & ISBoxer Toolkit <][> Boxing on Blackhand, Horde <]
    "Innerspace basically reinvented the software boxing world. If I was to do it over again, I'd probably go single PC + Innerspace/ISBoxer." - Fursphere

Quote Originally Posted by 'zanthor',index.php?page=Thread&postID=120294#post 120294
    The first question is how many accounts do you want to box at once?
    I don't however know of any top ranked PVP boxers using a software solution... I could be wrong though.
    I never thought of it but you might be right for the most part anyways. It might be that the more experienced boxers have been doing long before there was a decent software solution like keyclone. I am not sure how improved the latency is with a hardware solution I do not have any noticeable delay with software. Certainly not to the point that it affects my PvP but than gain I suck at Arena.