Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 27

Default [Mac] / [WoW] - CloneKeys Demo Movie

I've created a new program for the Mac called CloneKeys. I mostly wrote it for myself, so I can multi-box on my Mac, but I'll probably release it to the public soon. I'll probably release it under the GPL (open source) and just ask for Donations from people that find it useful.

Basically, it's very similar to Keyclone for Windows, but coded from scratch for the Mac.

Here's a short demo movie of it in action:

http://files.filefront.com/clonekeys.../fileinfo.html

No offense intended, i'm sure it's a great program. But honestly

Keyclone

Now Clonekey.

I'd reccomend altering the name.

Being original is win!

Well, that's kind of the whole point. It's a program very, very similar to keyclone, just for a different platform. Thus I thought it was very fitting to use a similar name.

Keyclone is PC only. CloneKeys is Mac only. Keyclone is closed source, $10 a copy. CloneKeys will be open source and free.

Don't get me wrong, I think keyclone is an awesome program. I gladly paid my $10 for my copy. If keyclone were available for the Mac, there really wouldn't be a need for my program. There's just nothing similar for the Mac at this time, and it's my preferred platform.

The goal isn't to be original, it's to give Mac users the first really good way to send keys to multiple applications at the same time, and I thought I'd give back to the multi-boxing community by announcing it here first.

i have to agree with other posters.. using the success of a completely unrelated product (especially one that isnt open source) to promote a program of your own is a bit underhanded.. especially since the author of keyclone may decide to upgrade support for macs at some point. nothing wrong with offering an alternative, but that alternative should be marketed on its own merits.

As a software developer I see nothing wrong with this. Keyclone may feel differently, however if he does I'm sure he'll ask the OP to go ahead and change the name. For fucks sake, the guy hasn't even released it at this time!

As for releasing KeyClone on the Mac, it would be a complete rework and since Mac's make up about 15% of the market I would guess it wouldn't be worth learning unless you were already involved. One of the major reasons I haven't flipped to Mac (and with Parralells (SP) this reasons becoming less by the day) is that I don't want to have to run two systems at home so I can still do my work...

Anyhow, it's a slick looking mac app similar to Keyclone, which is exactly what the OP said it was... if the name offends Keyclone, he'll speak up.
    [> Sam I Am (80) <] [> Team Doublemint <][> Hexed (60) (retired) <]
    [> Innerspace & ISBoxer Toolkit <][> Boxing on Blackhand, Horde <]
    "Innerspace basically reinvented the software boxing world. If I was to do it over again, I'd probably go single PC + Innerspace/ISBoxer." - Fursphere

Quote Originally Posted by rjenkins8142
    The goal isn't to be original, it's to give Mac users the first really good way to send keys to multiple applications at the same time, and I thought I'd give back to the multi-boxing community by announcing it here first.
    That said, how about we all just try and get along . The mac users of the world need SOME love, they are already the pariah in so many other ways!
    [> Sam I Am (80) <] [> Team Doublemint <][> Hexed (60) (retired) <]
    [> Innerspace & ISBoxer Toolkit <][> Boxing on Blackhand, Horde <]
    "Innerspace basically reinvented the software boxing world. If I was to do it over again, I'd probably go single PC + Innerspace/ISBoxer." - Fursphere

Quote Originally Posted by zanthor
    Anyhow, it's a slick looking mac app similar to Keyclone, which is exactly what the OP said it was... if the name offends Keyclone, he'll speak up.
    im sure he will. thats not really the issue, though. it would have been polite to ask the author of keyclone if it would be a problem before advertising it on the forum.. or before blatantly mimicking the title to begin with. keyclone has put in a lot of time and effort over years developing his product.. it seems disrespectful to me for another person to come along after 5 minutes and rip off the name without even a conversation with the original author.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel
    im sure he will. thats not really the issue, though. it would have been polite to ask the author of keyclone if it would be a problem before advertising it on the forum.. or before blatantly mimicking the title to begin with. keyclone has put in a lot of time and effort over years developing his product.. it seems disrespectful to me for another person to come along after 5 minutes and rip off the name without even a conversation with the original author.
    *nods at Jezebel*, I think Jezebel is right here, folks. Say you owned the trademark for Aston Martin and someone came along with a car that looked the same, felt the same, but had a couple of different gadgets inside and called their product Martin Aston... Set your knowledge of Registrations and Trademarks aside (hence why my fictional example wouldn't ever surface), that's still messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel
    *nods at Jezebel*, I think Jezebel is right here, folks. Say you owned the trademark for Aston Martin and someone came along with a car that looked the same, felt the same, but had a couple of different gadgets inside and called their product Martin Aston... Set your knowledge of Registrations and Trademarks aside (hence why my fictional example wouldn't ever surface), that's still messed up.
    And then pretend that the first car can only be driven on Earth, while the other can only be used on Mars. One's for PC, and the other is on the Mac, and he's not making money off of the name

Right.

@Shogun - Then why not come up with an original name? It's not about him making money off of the name, its merely good ethical practice to come up with something original when naming products. Or would you disagree with this too?