Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 21

Default Looking for an X-Keys Pro .xkp file

Hey all,
    Been working on this for hours and I fear if I go too much long I am going to loose interest.

I want to program my x-keys pro with unicodes... you know, like this Ç

The recommended way, by Xzin, is with a barcode scanner. Well I have the scanner but can't find software to print the barcodes up with it and even if I did I don't know if my barcode scanner would read it (no luck with any of the free downloads).

Anyway, was hoping someone would have already done this with their X-keys pro and would maybe share the .xkp file so I could program my keyboard the same.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help...
    -J (The <frustrated> IT Monkey)

Try editing the config file with a hex editor. Goodluck with that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Twentytw0
    Try editing the config file with a hex editor. Goodluck with that though.
    Ass
    hahaha

I am afraid that most (if not all) barcode fonts don't bother with any characters besides the standard keyboard. If you know of any that do please point me to it.

That still wouldn't guarentee my barcode scanner would read them. Would be much easier if someone had done this before and could pm the .xkp file.

Are you using XP/2k? If so, try going to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map. You can copy and paste unicode characters. Will this work for your purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by Fursphere
    Quote Originally Posted by And0
    Are you using XP/2k? If so, try going to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map. You can copy and paste unicode characters. Will this work for your purposes?
    Naa, this doesn't quite do it. The problem is most barcode font are written with just the basic character set in mind. Any advanced / extended keystrokes just don't have a barcode equivilent.
    And as far as the character map thing... well it helped me copy the the keys I want into a text file but you can't paste those keys into the x-keys. x-keys is strictly a recorder type device.... so if I tried to paste the character it would not get the character but WOULD get ctrl-v.

Thanks for trying to help though. I appreciate ALL help in this... this will be my third day working on the issue.

EDIT: P.S. - if I ever do get this sorted out I'll be sure to share the file for those of you who are in the same boat.

Ahh, now I understand.

Try installing this tool: http://www.cardbox.com/quick.htm

Once it's installed and running, it gives you access to extended unicode input using Alt+hex code. For example, ? is done with Alt+.0388

Be sure to check the quick usage page:http://www.cardbox.com/quick/instructions.htm
    "Hold down the Alt key, and type a dot (decimal point) on the numeric keypad, followed by the hexadecimal code number of the Unicode character you want. Then release the Alt key."

You access A-F with the side keys on the numpad. It's a little clunky, but it should give you keyboard input... I hope?

You need a way to OUTPUT the PS/2 data. This is a bit different because you are using USB.... but the Xkeys is ONLY going to pickup the correct code. You MIGHT be able to install a host based program that translates exotic keypresses into real scan codes.... but the preferred method would be to have the X-keys output the correct code to begin with.

In order to do that, you need to get the right code into it. My prior FAQ was somewhat inaccurate and outdated - I just updated it. The barcode trick is noy likely to work. Most barcodes are a standard text + number only set to keep errors to a minimum. Some can encode information and extended sets but then you need an exotic reader and well... sort of seems like it is not worth the trouble.

My best suggestion is to fool around with a programmable PS/2 keyboard. SOME exist but I have no tested them yet personally so I cannot say for sure that one will work. In theory, it should but there could be some quirk about the X-keys that I do not yet know about.

I also have NO experience with the USB X-Keys. In theory one should be able to hack away at the .xkp file if the structure is fairly simple and the codes are non encoded and you know about key scan codes and are comfy with a hex editor. Not exacccctly simple but well This is boxing. C'mon

Otherwise, you need a method of outputting the proper scan code to the X-keys. There might be a way to have another computer SEND PS/2 codes out via a PS/2 port... in effect acting as one huge programmable keyboard. But I have not delved down into that yet nor do I have any current plans to. Surely, somebody somewhere HAS done so though, given the age of PS/2 and serial port technology.
    The Zins - 10 Boxing
    Xzin, Azin, Bzin, Czin, Dzin
    Xyzin, Ayzin, Byzin, Cyzin, Dyzin
    Magtheridon - US

Granted my xkeys is usb it is also pre SE. I don't know what difference that makes.

Here is a chunk of the code that is in the .xkp file... it is viewable in a text editor this way:
    [code:1]D "USB 58 Key"
    G {00 20 04 00 01 01 2C}
    L1{
    K{
    00 {08 00 03 00 04 FE 04}
    01 {08 00 03 00 0D FE 0D}
    02 {08 00 03 00 16 FE 16}
    03 {08 00 06 00 04 FE 04 1E FE 1E}
    04 {08 00 06 00 0C FE 0C 1E FE 1E}
    05 {08 00 06 00 14 FE 14 1E FE 1E}
    06 {08 00 06 00 1C FE 1C 1E FE 1E}[/code:1]

I am ASSUMING that the code 00 is the key assignment and that key 00 is the upper left key. That being said the code next to 00 SHOULD represent the "a" key being pressed down and then released.

I thought that this was hex code, and it still could be, but a little drunken research last night made me think it was not as hex codes have two digit numbers in a higher range than anything hat seems to be in this code.

I tried installing macro recorder II last night but it didn't seem to want to work with MY xkeys, possibly because it is pre SE.

Gonna work on this more today, and hope that others do as well, if I learn anything I will post it here.

If anyone has other suggestions please post them and I'll see what I can do about researching this.

My current plan is to try to find a VIRTUAL programmable keyboard. One that is on-screen and, by preference, free.

but I can program the xkeys WITHOUT software... just by putting it into record mode and clicking the button I want to record. It should then take whatever key stroke I send it.... RIGHT? please say right...

I am willing to spend money on a NEW x-keys but it is not sounding like they are any easier to program.