Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Assist trouble

Default Assist trouble

I just cant understand how does it work. So, I have a macro binded on "F" key on my toons, and macro is: /assist Main_char_name

Basically, it works in like 60% of times.

On my main client I target a target and press "F" key so all toons must assist me but sometimes they just dont. I see on other screens that assist button is pushed but they somehow dont assist. When I press "F" key 2nd time - they assist. Same crap with AHK and Keyclone. Any ideas how the hell can I fix it?

I prefer focus and macros using focustarget over assist. I do experience the thing you mention though, sometimes I have to doubleclick to get something working, like autoshot over several hunters or wand over several clothies.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLonghair
    I prefer focus and macros using focustarget over assist. I do experience the thing you mention though, sometimes I have to doubleclick to get something working, like autoshot over several hunters or wand over several clothies.
    Yeah I will make focus macros after I get my salary and upgrade my accounts to BC so I can make draenei's

Any ideas what the hell is going on, is assist function in WoW bugged or something?

I don't have a problem usually if I double tap my macro that uses focus' target. Maybe a latency issue?

Where I've run into trouble is when my main targets something, then something else and i try to cast on target 2...for some reason the assist or target focus wants to hit the first target instead of the second. I find myself hitting my "follow" key anytime I switch targets and want to make sure all my guys are targetting the right fellow (follow key is a target your focus, follow, assist, stopcasting).
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

I usually get a bit of lag when 'assist'ing my main. Pressing assist button a few times before I start casting usually fixes it. With AHK it was much more pronounced; with keyclone it seems better. Not sure where it's coming from as the resources on the machine are not maxed. Only thing I can think of is that since my /follow clients are minimized they get lower priority ??

When following my main I noticed that if all windows are visible none of the characters lag behind.. if the windows are minimized then sometimes some are left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bena
    Only thing I can think of is that since my /follow clients are minimized they get lower priority ??
    nah, I have the problem with 2 clients maximized, same with 5

Yep, on super-low-latency connections it usually takes my alt PCs about 1-1.5 seconds for the clients to "realize" that my main has changed targets. The performance of your secondary account PCs affects this as well. My one box is a laptop that gets abysmal framerates and 75% of the time if I'm retargeting mid-fight, that one client will flay the previously targeted mob the first cast.

Not just you or your setup.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

The way assist works in WoW is that you target something, your client tells the server, the server then broadcasts it to the other players. So, when you switch targets there is a slight delay. The pros to this is that if you've had the target for a second or two, the other player's /assist will be instant. This works fine for a regular group, but causes problems for a boxer... because they will change target and hit assist almost at the same time (in the world of network communications).

The way assist works in DAoC is that when a player hits /assist, it requests the target from the server, which then requests it from the main-tank. This sucks because *everytime* you hit /assist, there is a slight delay before the target changes. But... you are guaranteed to get the assisted target (eventually). Just be thankful it doesn't work this way... I played for 5 years like this.
    DAoC (retired): Camelot Monkey
    WoW: Ysera - Paladin (Zirie) Mages (Birie, Cirie, Dirie, Jirie)

This is very accurate and can create wonderful situations when coupled with macro's such as:

/cast [target=party1target]Fireball

I targeted a mob straight ahead of me...
    Hit my fireball macro as teh pally agro'd the mob... both mages cast fireballs on DIFFERENT mobs... so what was a nice 1 pull turned into a very exiciting 5 pull since both sides had adds...
    [> Sam I Am (80) <] [> Team Doublemint <][> Hexed (60) (retired) <]
    [> Innerspace & ISBoxer Toolkit <][> Boxing on Blackhand, Horde <]
    "Innerspace basically reinvented the software boxing world. If I was to do it over again, I'd probably go single PC + Innerspace/ISBoxer." - Fursphere

Quote Originally Posted by Picticon
    The way assist works in WoW is that you target something, your client tells the server, the server then broadcasts it to the other players. So, when you switch targets there is a slight delay. The pros to this is that if you've had the target for a second or two, the other player's /assist will be instant. This works fine for a regular group, but causes problems for a boxer... because they will change target and hit assist almost at the same time (in the world of network communications).

The way assist works in DAoC is that when a player hits /assist, it requests the target from the server, which then requests it from the main-tank. This sucks because *everytime* you hit /assist, there is a slight delay before the target changes. But... you are guaranteed to get the assisted target (eventually). Just be thankful it doesn't work this way... I played for 5 years like this.
    okay now I see how it works, everything becomes clear

Talking about delays. Does jumping work the same way?
    Like I press my Space key, all my toons are jumping in the same time on _their_ screens, but on my screen I see other chars jumping with a delay. Same goes for toon's screens' - the alt char jumps right when Space key is pressed, but all other chars are jumping with a delay.