Close
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Default Movement control (of main) in a setup with X-Keys

I've been a "casual" multi-boxer since EQ, though primarily duo-boxing EQ/DAoC but did run a 5-7 toon Fins group multiple times in DAoC. Usually two instances of the game per computer and never invested enough into doing it in the like of many here with software/hardware solutions to minimizing input equipment used.

I've also never really moved past not using the mouse to click for some actions. After reading the Wiki by Xzin, and various posts I've decided to take the plunge and I have 4 computers and monitors, and 2 ergotron vertical mounts on the way.

My main hurdle though to working out the rest of the hardware/cabling I need is movement control and the adding of additional input devices like the X-Keys.

How do y'all handle movement control yet minimize moving your left hand from Keyboard to X-Key and back?

I'm also trying to figure out how Y-Mouse works in anybody's setup. It's in the Wiki, but in Xzin's case your writeup on your original 5-box setup doesn't mention those in the hardware you said you used before your new setup.

For now the group setup I'm looking at is more PvE focused:

1 prot war
    1 holy/disc priest
    2 or 3 mages
    1 lock

So understandably that mix increases the complexity of control, but for PvE it's easier to cope with that than for PvP. At least with my PvE multi-boxing experience once an encounter is learned it's not such an issue anymore.

Edit: Amended subject to reference driving the main, not movement control of the whole group, while using a device like an X-Keys for macro control.

Most of my movement is done with /follow and the inevitable "spread out" command to make them stay in place when needed.

I also unmap the arrow keys from my main character, map movement to QWEADS instead, and do the opposite on my drones.

That allows me rudimentary movement control of the drones - turn around, enter an instance after the main's disappeared inside, etc, and has been good enough for me so far.

In fact, I don't use my X-keys pro or stick for movement at all.

It sounds like you have something a bit more complex in mind though?

In the one team where I have to play a tank myself (a Pally), I use him as my main, have everybody else on follow, and just hit the "spread out" macro a safe distance from whatever I'm about to kill so that they can DPS / heal while I actively tank.

In other words, the only character for whom precise and independent movement control is important is really your tank, and for me that demands mouse-based movement.

I wasn't thinking of anyone using the X-Key (other extra 'keyboard') device for movement necessarily. And I should have probably clarified that I'm referencing movement control in relation to the main character controlled.

I was musing as to if people like yourself might solely use the mouse for movement instead of the keyboard. Since in WoW if you hold down both mouse buttons you run forward.

Which isn't something I'm used to doing, but makes sense in using something like the X-Keys wouldn't really be an issue since the left hand no longer controls movement.

well it kinda matters what you use to control all the computers. with keyclone you can put w a s d q e to a dont send to other windows/computers list. or if you are going to use all hardware just unbind the movement keys for your followers. i dont know much about it tho i just started.

Quote Originally Posted by Tealuin
    I was musing as to if people like yourself might solely use the mouse for movement instead of the keyboard. Since in WoW if you hold down both mouse buttons you run forward.

Which isn't something I'm used to doing, but makes sense in using something like the X-Keys wouldn't really be an issue since the left hand no longer controls movement.
    The mouse is evil, but the left and right arrow keys seem to have a lot of twitch to them and that can make rubber banding effects an issue.

I have a software macro that loots, I can position the loot, mining node, herb etc in the predicted spot and the cursor will go to that exact spot and right click.

Now I just use the mouse of interactive stuff like NPCs.