Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Default Thoughts on my 6700k rig (for the horde)

Hi all,
    I'm new here and curious what my rig from a few years ago could possibly handle.
    Wow farming/pve/dungeons/world content.

6700k (didn't oc)
    x2 480 crossfire(weren't a good investment as CF support lacks)
    16gb

1080p ofc.
    I want max view distance/objects, 60fps, 30fps is suggested for background?
    I'd like to 8 box, minimum settle for 5 box?
    My understanding is that 8 might be a struggle for this cpu or 32gb is recommended?(achievable easy upgrade)
    GPU dept probably going to ride this out as I don't fancy spending $400 on a new GPU.

I've been eyeing zen2 for a new build but this rig was in storage for a year while overseas so should have a lot of life left in it.

I have a htpc also;
    Intel g4560
    Gt1030
    8gb

I read that is possible to multibox from 2 pcs, is this viable?

Feedback is much appreciated.
    Thanks.

CPU and RAM should be fine for retail (DX11 Legacy) or classic [edit] provided you're not capturing video and watching Netflix and etc. I'm still running 5x 1080p clients on a 6700K non-OC, though I do have 32GB RAM and a 980Ti. Have a search around the forums here for "slot swap macro renderscale" where you can dynamically change the graphics detail levels on clients every time you switch leaders. It makes a hell of a lot of difference in terms of your main window's performance.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    CPU and RAM should be fine for retail (DX11 Legacy) or classic [edit] provided you're not capturing video and watching Netflix and etc. I'm still running 5x 1080p clients on a 6700K non-OC, though I do have 32GB RAM and a 980Ti. Have a search around the forums here for "slot swap macro renderscale" where you can dynamically change the graphics detail levels on clients every time you switch leaders. It makes a hell of a lot of difference in terms of your main window's performance.

Thanks for your reply,

From you experience is Running x5 maxing your cpu? And do you think more than 5 is pushing it too far?

I want to test my setup before I get more retail accounts. Will a private server (tbc) work the same as classic or BFA with ISboxer? That is to say can I switch between games/versions of wow with ease or do you need to edit/reconfigure settings?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Lukeng89 : 10-20-2019 at 08:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeng89 View Post
    From you experience is Running x5 maxing your cpu? And do you think more than 5 is pushing it too far?
    In terms of the number of *Classic* clients, it's about as many as I'd like to try to play normally. I like having my followers' mini-windows large enough that I can actually tell when they get a skill-up in chat or looting an herb/ore node, etc. and can see what's going on in their windows just in case. I could probably drop graphics down a fair bit on all clients and run a few more. I doubt I would want to try 10-boxing on anything less than a 10-12 core CPU. And since my 6700 cost about 85% of what a 12-core AMD costs these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeng89 View Post
    I want to test my setup before I get more retail accounts. Will a private server (tbc) work the same as classic or BFA with ISboxer? That is to say can I switch between games/versions of wow with ease or do you need to edit/reconfigure settings?

Thanks again.
    Generally, there is nothing special about versions of WoW aside from the macro syntax and spells you include. All of the group management stuff (/follow, /invite, etc.) is the same as far as I can tell. If you aren't using complicated helper macros built in ISBoxer, then no, you won't see much difference with configs. As for private servers, no, they do not behave like the real client, and best of luck with all that as you won't get much help around here for obvious reasons.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

It at least used to be the case that you can play regular Retail WoW to level 20 for free. If you want to do some testing maybe try with that with a bunch of free accounts to get a feel. If you want to do Classic WoW, Retail WoW wouldn't be an exact match to Classic WoW but should be fairly close to get a feel of how your current rig responds. You can also use that to stress test how many your rig can do in part to see how close to the limits you are... Also there are limits on things besides CPU/Graphics/RAM as, for example, I usually get sound related issues before hitting limits related to my CPU/RAM/Grahics...

On my 8GB 1070 GTX Graphics Card I have done upto 30 Archeage clients by themselves and each Archeage client seems to use more than a WoW client... I have also mixed up to 10 Archeage clients and 5 Classic WoW with decent results so you could look to see how a 1070GTX compares to your Graphics Card specs to get a rough idea. Note that I only turn up settings & frame-rates on my main clients for each game...

CPU and RAM-wise our systems likely are not comparable as I am have 128GB of RAM and am using water-cooled over-clocked i7-6900K. Usually I have between 20-70GB being used in research in browsers, videos, and what not before I start to have issues with research and/or games. If I recall correctly the most I have used for games is around 50-60GB of RAM except the time I tried to load 40GB of game files on a RAM disk and run ~60GB for games in testing. That worked fine until I got 20+ test Archeage accounts banned as my clients were loading zones & reacting too fast and/or the use of a RAM disk triggered some false alarms for tampering with files (they would never give me an answer as to why).
    Last edited by nodoze : 10-23-2019 at 03:20 PM

I've a 6700K and I both 5box/8box with it.
    5 box with 60 fps front / 20 back and main at 7 is fine, no lags so far except in cities sometimes.
    8 box I must play with 30 fps front / 15 back and main char at 3, else CPU is getting maxed really quickly in some situations (large pvp fights) but if you only do things that aren't stressing your CPU you may be able to play with better settings, you'll freeze a bit in cities but it's not a big issue.
    About RAM, I use 26GB when 8boxing so maybe you should upgrade your RAM.