Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 15

Default Video on IP addresses

[WoW] IP addresses

This video is a guide to understanding your IP address, and the importance of IP address management for users of multiple accounts. Because Blizzard bans accounts by relation, this can prevent you from becoming the victim of an IP related banning.

There's been gamers that got banned because their FRIEND played WOW at their house (logging into their own account) without resetting the modem first. (if dynamic IP was available) If that account was flagged for the next banwave, it's game over. Another thing that can get you nailed is if you have an open wireless network, and a neighbor hops on it. If you both play wow and he cheats, you get banned for association to an account you knew nothing about.

Click here for the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3L2MI2w0g4

. . .
    Dynamic IP's being provided by ISP's is all well and good, until you are multi-boxing, in which case if you are uber paranoid you can just proxy each WoW connection via a diffrent proxy. Sockscap or Proxifier ftw.

i could see if it was your roommate cheating constantly and there was a long history of your IP addresses matching, but tunneling multiple wow clients to different IP address proxies is just as bad if you cant vouch for their integrity. With the amount of people playing behind large networks (schools, open wireless apartment complexes) I can't see IP based banning become all that popular.

Quote Originally Posted by esoterik
    I can't see IP based banning become all that popular.
    Unfortunately it is, I know of several people who botted on one account, yet never did anything to violate the EULA on their main accounts, yet ban-day comes through and poof, all accounts closed. Blizzard do ban multiple accounts based on IP's and ownership details if they have enough evidence to support the closure of a single account.

Thats not IP banning that is banning all accounts based off a shared billing info.
    The Zins - 10 Boxing
    Xzin, Azin, Bzin, Czin, Dzin
    Xyzin, Ayzin, Byzin, Cyzin, Dyzin
    Magtheridon - US

No Xzin, its not. Diffrent contact details, paid with via gamecards. Its either IP bans or they look at mailbox interaction (which they also do, to catch gold-sellers).

so 1 kid cheats in a dorm and 40 other accounts get axxed? it has to be in game gold transfer routes or billing information.

It has happened. Gold farmers are frequently getting IP banned. Its an obvious medium for checking up on "who plays what" and to think anything else is fairly naive.

I don't rule this out but the risk of catching non offenders seems pretty great.

I think we need to look more at the spyware Warden than IP scanning.

It's not like the Warden can't determine your unique computer. Take a look at the IS guys - they are doing a lot of work understanding the warden "program" and knowing what it can and can't do.
    The Zins - 10 Boxing
    Xzin, Azin, Bzin, Czin, Dzin
    Xyzin, Ayzin, Byzin, Cyzin, Dyzin
    Magtheridon - US

Default Re: Video on IP addresses

Quote Originally Posted by rpgreseller
    [WoW] IP addresses

This video is a guide to understanding your IP address, and the importance of IP address management for users of multiple accounts. Because Blizzard bans accounts by relation, this can prevent you from becoming the victim of an IP related banning.

There's been gamers that got banned because their FRIEND played WOW at their house (logging into their own account) without resetting the modem first. (if dynamic IP was available) If that account was flagged for the next banwave, it's game over. Another thing that can get you nailed is if you have an open wireless network, and a neighbor hops on it. If you both play wow and he cheats, you get banned for association to an account you knew nothing about.

Click here for the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3L2MI2w0g4
    I’m pretty sure Blizzard bans by Account information, not by I.P. However for Power leveling companies if they see your account logged on in say, China then an hour later the U.S they investigate.

Friend of mine was a big bot program user. He got banned about a year ago or so. However he was running a few accounts and not all of them were banned while he used the same I.P Address. That’s what I’m going off of. If you know more about it then I do I’m always interested in hearing about this kinda stuff =)
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP9...AlyRcyYCHA-3ew
    Due to Blizzards position on Hong Kong, money > freedom. I stopped playing.