Close
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 55

Quote Originally Posted by Implodingjigsaw View Post
    Also keep in mind it's entirely possible we won't even have IWT on the Classic server(s), so boxing melee is going to be like it was back then where you had to run your main through the mob and then turn so the others are directly behind it.
    I actually assumed IWT wouldn't be there, until I saw mirai's video off the classic demo. It still being in the demo gave me some hope that they won't disable it at all on classic servers.

If they do disable it, I'll go with a full range team. Probably 5x mage.

If you want to farm the place to do it is dungeons and raid trash. You get the best drop rates on everything, more stuff to DE and in some cases chances for some pretty nice BoE gear (ZG trash, Dire Maul.) One of the primary benefits of boxing is being able to farm content by yourself that is usually only accessible to groups. It doesn't make sense to farm locations that can be done solo as a boxer.

With that in mind, optimal "farming" teams will be the same as the dungeon teams. I would think any tank with sound AE threat (paladin or druid) any healer and a combination of mages and warlocks.

You can reach the same conclusion through a process of elimination.

1. Hunters could work but are too micro intensive to box effectively, are heavily limited by their dead zone and have limited AE. The upside is that hunter pets actually make good dungeon tanks. An owl with max rank screech generates reasonable AE threat.
    2. Melee classes are heavily gear dependent and subject to the availability of IWT.
    3. Shadow priests, druids and elemental shamans are all low DPS, lack AE damage and run out of mana very quickly.

If you're going for optimal efficacy, mages and warlocks are really the only choice IMO.

Something like:
    druid, shaman, mage, mage, warlock.
    paladin, priest, mage, mage, warlock.
    etc.

Covers all the decurse options (curse, magic, disease, poison) and gives you most of the useful buffs.
    Last edited by Apatheist : 01-13-2019 at 08:51 AM

If you're going to be farming open world, you'd be better off doing 4x Warlock + Priest i should think. Or even 4x Mage + Priest, spamming Arcane Explosion + Holy Nova worked quite well back then, not to mention(not sure if it'll be a thing still) you can use lower spell ranks across all Casters to reduce mana costs and kill faster.

Also keep in mind it's entirely possible we won't even have IWT on the Classic server(s), so boxing melee is going to be like it was back then where you had to run your main through the mob and then turn so the others are directly behind it.
    Back on the old was Arcane Explosion not so bad ?
    coz now its burns so much mana

Quote Originally Posted by Apatheist View Post
    If you want to farm the place to do it is dungeons and raid trash. You get the best drop rates on everything, more stuff to DE and in some cases chances for some pretty nice BoE gear (ZG trash, Dire Maul.) One of the primary benefits of boxing is being able to farm content by yourself that is usually only accessible to groups. It doesn't make sense to farm locations that can be done solo as a boxer.
    I was thinking of open world farming with an easy to use team, because I like brainless farming with music on or while watching series on a 2nd monitor after I get home from work. Though farming instances is also tempting, because it will probably result in more gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Apatheist View Post
    Something like:
    druid, shaman, mage, mage, warlock.
    paladin, priest, mage, mage, warlock.
    etc.
    Why not 3 mages? Don't they have the best aoe dmg in the game?

If you're going to be farming open world, you'd be better off doing 4x Warlock + Priest i should think. Or even 4x Mage + Priest, spamming Arcane Explosion + Holy Nova worked quite well back then, not to mention(not sure if it'll be a thing still) you can use lower spell ranks across all Casters to reduce mana costs and kill faster.

We had iwt on the demo i defo think it be somthing we keep,

Saying that its single loot in classic so only one toon will beable to loot as well there be no toys like the loot a rang pr hunters loot they came in wotlk. Dungeons used to be the best way to farm hoobs framing dungons in one pull.

If I was to pick one class it would be mages with combat rogues coming in second. Melee were so gear dependent in vanilla, that if you had a top geared warrior you were a killing machine. Even prot warriors were insane, but combat rogues with stun maces and no stun dr had alot of fun. Combat rogues were the class the Chinese 24/7 sweat shop farmers used grinding scarlet mobs in western plaguelands. I think it was western, my memory fades.

However, when it came down to dps,aoe,food,portability and cc, mages were the best and were not as gear dependent. Also, tailoring went really well with farming runecloth and making cloth resistance gear.

Warlocks were ok, but fear pathing was horrible and I remember having to use seduce.
    Last edited by Fat Tire : 01-13-2019 at 02:30 PM

Yeah, open world farming might not be your best bet for farming gold - Xzin farmed his gold back in the day by doing Stratholme Baron runs in ~30mins with his Priest + 4 Mages, and he had done more than a few raids with them.

Yeah, open world farming might not be your best bet for farming gold - Xzin farmed his gold back in the day by doing Stratholme Baron runs in ~30mins with his Priest + 4 Mages, and he had done more than a few raids with them.
    Winters chill , it really made multiple mages amazing in mc and blackwing and I am sure 5 mans. I dont know what spec Xzin used though. AP/arcane/holy nova? no idea
    Last edited by Fat Tire : 01-13-2019 at 03:32 PM

Quote Originally Posted by pobdoq View Post
    I was thinking of open world farming with an easy to use team, because I like brainless farming with music on or while watching series on a 2nd monitor after I get home from work. Though farming instances is also tempting, because it will probably result in more gold.

Why not 3 mages? Don't they have the best aoe dmg in the game?
    Dungeon farming will earn you more gold per hour than farming world mobs. You get a lot more drops, more silver per mob and a higher chance of getting lucky with BoE's blues/epics.

Adding a warlock gives you a lot of party utility from HP aura to curse of the elements that increases your mage DPS a lot. Hellfire and rain of fire synchronize well with arcane explosion and blizzard. Adding a warlock to a farming group will also give you the ability to recall your looter (by leaving your group while inside a dungeon so that you're automatically teleported back to your bind location. Ie. no hearthstone cooldown) sell junk and then summon yourself back.

Meeting stones outside dungeons in classic are just there to assist you finding group members. They can't summon players. Hearthstones have a 1 hour cooldown in classic and travelling is a huge timesink.
    Last edited by Apatheist : 01-13-2019 at 04:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tire View Post
    Winters chill , it really made multiple mages amazing in mc and blackwing and I am sure 5 mans. I dont know what spec Xzin used though. AP/arcane/holy nova? no idea
    In PvP he ran Arcane / Fire for PoM + Pyroblast, but yeah he also used Holy Nova a lot on his Priest from what i remember and have seen.