Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Default Who do you drive from in instances?

When in an instance, which character do you usually drive from?

I've played a Paladin Tank since BC and I can't help but try and drive from my tank because I'm just used to being the MT, but I find that I'll get behind on healing or missing procs, or movement because they're just not in my view or I get distracted.

My group is composed of : Paladin Tank, Frost Mage x 3 and Shaman Healer. I just started multi-boxing in Legion because my friends quit playing but I still wanted to do content (that wasn't LFR) without having to commit to a full time raiding guild.

It's probably just a time/practice thing for me.

I suppose that my goal is to be able to seamlessly switch from between my toons and still have things go off like I expect them to (i.e. tanks still tank/mitigate dmg, DPS still casts their rotation, Healer runs through their rotation).

Thanks for your input. Looking forward to hearing what works for you :)

I just started a trinity team with 3 melee so I'll try to get used to lead with the healer and see the 4 four other ones as *pet*. I'm curious, how does it go for you with that team? It's pretty unusual!

In a tank/healer/3 DPS group I spend >99% of the time driving from the tank. I find I get much better aggro management that way. There is also always the issue of CTM/IWT potentially causing runaways if you play from the healer.

Personally, I like to drive from the tank because, like you, I've been a tank for most of my WoW career and it just feels more natural. However, I like to have the ability to lead from any character in the event that I need to.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Quote Originally Posted by charly View Post
    I just started a trinity team with 3 melee so I'll try to get used to lead with the healer and see the 4 four other ones as *pet*. I'm curious, how does it go for you with that team? It's pretty unusual!
    It goes pretty well. Like I said I'm still new to multi-boxing and learning what works/doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Alge View Post
    I find I get much better aggro management that way.
    I drive from my Paladin because I literally just -know- what to do since I've been playing him so long and can handle aggro like you said, much better.

But managing the mages (esp. their procs) is something I'm refining. I think that instead of straight broadcasting keys to them, I need to figure out a good cast sequence or something that does reliably good damage that I can invoke via ISBoxer.

The other thing that I have trouble with (and again I think it's just practice/refinement) is forgetting to heal on my Shaman. One of my best friends was my Main Heal for most of the expansions and I got so used to relying on him! Now I'm having to rethink about each fight (i.e. Ok how can I handle this mechanic? I should probably mitigate it and have a HoTs already rolling, etc.) and then having to remember to hit the buttons.

I play left-handed (mouse in left hand) and use the NumPad for most of my keybinds. I had separate keybinds for my healer (to allow for greater control) but where they are placed requires me to move my hand off my mouse, which I find can really limit moving out of things for my tank, etc. So maybe something like clique or something else might work better. Just need to get a day to experiment.

I've been checking out MiRai's setup video because the Tank/Healer combo is the same thing I'm running.

It's interesting to see and hear what other people are doing and it helps me learn a lot.

So thanks so much to everyone who has contributed so far.

bgarisn,

I'm not sure if you are using the macro "/cast [@name] spell" for the Healing Rain spell, but this would be a good AoE Healing macro for your DPS characters to heal up from AoE damage. Personally I wasn't aware of the [@name} targeting option so I was not using many targeted area spells due to difficulty with mouse click target selection on the non-main characters.
    World of Warcraft - Bronzebeard (Horde)
    Primary team - 4 Blood DK, Disc Priest (110, ilvl 880-ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Gomotron View Post
    bgarisn,

I'm not sure if you are using the macro "/cast [@name] spell" for the Healing Rain spell, but this would be a good AoE Healing macro for your DPS characters to heal up from AoE damage. Personally I wasn't aware of the [@name] targeting option so I was not using many targeted area spells due to difficulty with mouse click target selection on the non-main characters.
    Yeah, I'm doing that. I wasn't aware of it either until someone (MiRai) pointed it out on here :-P

My macro is simply the following, but I'm looking into perhaps expanding it via GSE macros (maybe):

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@player] Healing Rain
    Appreciate the advice!