Close
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Default New PC for Multiboxing

So after living with a not so great FX-8320 for far too long, I've decided it's finally time to pull the trigger on a new PC. Mostly new anyway. So here are my current specs:

Windows 10 on Samsung 840 SSD
    AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2GHz (Air cooled)
    16GB RAM (DDR3, not OC'd, not very fast)
    GTX 1070 (Air cooled)
    Crucial M550 SSD (550MB/s read, 500MB/s write, 90K IOPS read, 80K IOPS write, 72TB endurance)
    4k Monitor (60Hz max)

Games I play regularly or occasionally:
    WoW (5 box)
    Overwatch
    Heroes of the Storm
    Diablo 3
    Borderlands 2
    Fallout 4*
    Skyrim*
    DOOM (2016, this actually gets 60FPS almost everywhere with very high settings in 4k. Seems like modern games do a much better job taking advantage of additional threads)
    Saints Row IV

*games I'd love to play more but mostly avoid due to CPU bottleneck

The 1070 does a surprisingly good job handling 4k resolutions for a lot of games. In general, the FX 8320 has been a huge bottleneck for me. Fallout 4 and Skyrim both have to be dialed back quite a bit due to my CPU. WoW is similar. My master sits at 5 with my slaves at 3 each and I'm happy to get 30 to 40fps in most uncrowded areas. Stormwind around the AH gets pretty bad with FPS down in the 10's. I've been holding off on a new build for years, only getting individual components upgraded. Mostly gfx cards.

So here is the new PC (parts are currently on order):

Windows 10 stays on the Samsung 840 for now.
    AMD Ryzen 1700x (went one step up to the x version to hopefully get a better binning and make the 4GHz oc)
    ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 360, High Performance CPU Water Cooler with 6 x 120 mm Low Noise Fans, 394 x120 mm Radiator
    Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 16GB (3000MHz)
    GTX 1070 (same card)
    Plextor M8Pe 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe (2000 MB/s read, 900MB/s write, 210,000 IOPS read, 230,000 IOPS write, 384TB endurance)
    ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming motherboard

All of this is going into a new case, the Thermaltake ATX full tower cube with glass sides. Currently using a HAF XB cube which is pretty good, but surprisingly cramped inside. My current build barely fits and the CPU cooler forced me to remove the top 200mm case fan.

The goal is to overclock the Ryzen to 4GHz, or 3.8/3.9. No idea if I'll get lucky enough for that. May or may not be able to hit 3k on the RAM. From all I've read AMD still has a lot of tweaking to do in that department. Either way this rig should be a serious step up from my old one. I'm particularly excited to try out gaming on the NVMe SSD. With read speeds being four times faster maybe loading into WoW 5 boxing won't be such a pain in the ass.
    "I thought that, if the world won't change, we would never reach happiness..." - There She Is!! Final Step - Imagine by amalloc on SamBakZa.net

I haven't had personal experience with AMD procs in many years, mainly because Intel seems to have always trounced them in gaming performance.
    It's possible the Ryzen may have changed that, but the reviews I read recently seem to indicate that game developers need to add custom optimization code to help the Ryzen perform well. Presumably, optimizations have been in place for Intel for a while, so the Ryzen may end up being a good option once the games you play have patches for that optimization.

I've been monitoring my hardware more closely when I'm boxing and this is what I'm seeing:

my FX-8320 with 8 cores regularly pegs at 100% in Stormwind with even a small crowd of players around. This drops my FPS to 15 to 30. My GTX 1070 doesn't pass 70% utilization. Looking forward to seeing how 16 logical cores handles 5 boxing. Be nice to have a steady 50 to 60fps.
    "I thought that, if the world won't change, we would never reach happiness..." - There She Is!! Final Step - Imagine by amalloc on SamBakZa.net

i went from a FX-8320 or something close to a amd reyzon 1700 it runs 5 clients in dala at around 30% use am running 8 on the system fine my bottleneck now is my poor rx480 but i have manged to pull 10 cliints in legion world all on Low, and cpu was not going far over 50% dala the bottle neck happens, i went with cheep 32gb ram kit and a cheep ass montherboard, i wish i spent a bit more and got the pro that is getting a far more upgrades

as for overclocking am running mine on a stock cooler (btw the amd ones are real good) and its OC to 3.4gz without playing with Vcores. i can push it to 3.8 with a small vcore change and it still runs cool Temps are great on my chip anyway i hit nomore then 40c on stock

A few SS for you from went i 1st got it.

this is 6 wow with like settings 5 or somthing on "main" clones on low, my old cpu could not do that.

and this is 10 i "think" they was all on low, like i said my bottleneck is defo going to be my gfxcard

to Sum it up it was one the best things i got in a long time for the price maybe some intel fanboy will say there usless for gaming but not what i have found or seen, as well i don't pay intel prices, and i always found i get more bang for buck i guess from AMD,
    Last edited by ebony : 06-07-2017 at 08:23 AM

My CPU cooler finally arrived today. Almost a week after everything else. That's what I get for going with the cheapest seller. Anyway, here it all is before I get started:

IMG_20170610_132811.jpg

And once again the build is on hold as the lovely Arctic Liquid Freezer 360 doesn't actually come with the AM4 retention ring or back plate in the box. Instead customers have to email the company so they can mail one to you.

Quote Originally Posted by eternaldrk View Post
    And once again the build is on hold as the lovely Arctic Liquid Freezer 360 doesn't actually come with the AM4 retention ring or back plate in the box. Instead customers have to email the company so they can mail one to you.
    the stock cooler is really good have i would use that for now i was using it for now but to be fair its dam great and never changed it my temps are never that high for stock a lot of good stuff on youtube about at as well.

Since I knew I was getting a better cooler I bought the CPU without the stock cooler. Ah well.

Finally, FINALLY have the bracket for my CPU cooler. So the build is on. This first pic is with the fans installed:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Uk...NjWtbZScADWzjg

This gives a better view of the installed radiator:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CA...DZJIrK1ObAXmLg

I almost used the same case for my last build, but ultimately decided I wanted more space (lots of radiators). Looking forward to hearing from another person about Ryzen's performance.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology