Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 17

Default How does ISBoxer work with mixed teams?

I am accustomed to having teams composed of the same class and don't seem to know how to get ISBoxer working with a mixed team. I am using the Pro system.

I have a low level Rogue whose only action in his mapped keys are an assist request. When I press the hotkeys on the Rogue the other team member, a hunter, selects a target but doesn't perform any other actions associated with those hotkeys for his keymap. If I switch to the hunter and press the same keys then he fights.

When I press a hotkey on the Rogue, isn't the other team member, the hunter, supposed to perform the same actions he performs when I press that key while he is leading?

Quote Originally Posted by sync00 View Post
    I am accustomed to having teams composed of the same class and don't seem to know how to get ISBoxer working with a mixed team. I am using the Pro system.

I have a low level Rogue whose only action in his mapped keys are an assist request. When I press the hotkeys on the Rogue the other team member, a hunter, selects a target but doesn't perform any other actions associated with those hotkeys for his keymap. If I switch to the hunter and press the same keys then he fights.

When I press a hotkey on the Rogue, isn't the other team member, the hunter, supposed to perform the same actions he performs when I press that key while he is leading?
    The whole point of the Pro system is that it doesn't matter what classes your team is composed of. Your Hunter is assigned Hunter behaviors, and your Rogue is assigned Rogue behaviors. When you press the DPS key, you are telling the rogue "hey, do Rogue DPS things" and you're telling the hunter "hey, do Hunter DPS things".

However, with that said, it does sound like you've managed to misconfigure something within the Pro system. You said something about "actions associated with those hotkeys for his keymap" -- I have to parse your words because until we see your config that's all we have to go on. So if what you are saying is accurate, and there are hotkeys in the hunter or rogue key maps, that would be a big reason why they only perform the actions while leading. There should not be any Hotkeys assigned in the hunter or rogue key maps. Just in the key maps labelled "Hotkeys" (such as Combat Hotkeys) and "Always On".

The Hotkeys for the Pro System get configured in Combat Hotkeys. Not in Hunter or Rogue -- there should be no Hotkeys in the Hunter or Rogue specific key maps.

If you still need further help please show us your configuration -- http://isboxer.com/wiki/Configuration_Sharing -- and we'll go from there
    Lax
    Author of ISBoxer
    Video: ISBoxer Quick Start

There is only one combat key map with hotkeys.

The Pro system is superb when it is working properly. But I find it too complicated to troubleshoot when something goes wrong.

I think I need to switch to a simpler non-Pro method. I understand now why some people forgo much of ISBoxer's features and only use it as a dumb broadcaster.

There is only one combat key map with hotkeys.

The Pro system is superb when it is working properly. But I find it too complicated to troubleshoot when something goes wrong.

I think I need to switch to a simpler non-Pro method. I understand now why some people forgo much of ISBoxer's features and only use it as a dumb broadcaster.
    It's not that complicated, but if you're asking for help we need something to go on besides a simple description of what you are doing. Such descriptions almost never describe the actual cause of the problem, just the symptoms and the ideal behaviors.

You asked for help, I am here to help, and there's not much in the way at this point besides your willingness to receive help. Am I understanding you correctly that you no longer want help because you find it too complicated to provide your profile?

p.s. this is all stuff I am working on as I refactor ISBoxer 2. With the configuration system being redesigned as a web application, profiles are mostly stored in an online database, so there is generally no need to go through the trouble of uploading things in order to get support on something like this.
    Lax
    Author of ISBoxer

The help I was seeking is to understand ISBoxer well enough to troubleshoot it on my own. But since I haven't gained that understanding after several years of use I'm now thinking I need use it in a simpler way.

Unfortunately, using ISBoxer, in and of itself, is not easy to gain sufficient understanding, at least for most folks.
    However, there are many resources where you can learn how things work. There is the wiki, isboxer forums and videos made by folks like MiRai, particularly the ones he made explaining the Pro system.

I've watched lots of videos and read the wiki, forums, etc. I understand most of it fairly well. I was a programmer for 20 years. I'm used to having tools to trace and debug.

With ISBoxer there are lots of settings and I haven't come up with an effective method for troubleshooting. When something doesn't work there is no way to tell what the problem is.

I was a programmer for 20 years. I'm used to having tools to trace and debug.
    This guy was in the military for 20 years, you might enjoy his posts. http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1845

With ISBoxer there are lots of settings and I haven't come up with an effective method for troubleshooting. When something doesn't work there is no way to tell what the problem is.
    That's the great part about not being alone or in a bubble. The rest of us can explain to you effective methods for troubleshooting or how to find out what the problem is. You don't have to come up with it on your own. I am sure you don't even know for certain there isn't way to find out what went wrong -- did you know there's a debug tab in the in-game ISBoxer Control Panel? Wait, nevermind, there can'tbe something like that, I forgot, there is no way to tell what the problem might be. On that note I should probably stop paying a few people, this new revelation changes everything.

This thread cannot possibly be about getting help.... this thread is a simple testament to the fact that you want to be stubborn about the issue you are having. If it was about getting help, or learning how to solve the problem you're having, we would have been done with that already. You'd be using your corrected configuration, having learned something new about what went wrong. All that has happened is you've described that you have an issue, said my initial guess must be wrong, and refused to show your work. So there's nowhere else to go from here.

There is a reason why math teachers require you to show your work, and it's not so that you can come back at them with "I was a programmer for 20 years. I'm used to having tools to trace and debug. There's no way to troubleshoot this, there's no way to tell what the problem is." There is a way, it's right there in the work, and the teacher can show you things. Likewise, a programming teacher requires your source code.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"
    Last edited by Lax : 06-05-2017 at 04:37 PM
    Lax
    Author of ISBoxer

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    did you know there's a debug tab in the in-game ISBoxer Control Panel?
    Yes. AFAIK it brings up the debug console which shows me what was received by a window. Is there a way to use it, or some or tool, to determine why nothing is received by a window when I press a hotkey?

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    This guy was in the military for 20 years, you might enjoy his posts. http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1845
    When I click on the link I get the message "You are not authorised to read this forum".