Close
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Default Cpu burning question

Hello,
    is there some amongst you who can answer me that question?:

Yesterday I couldnt run my pc anymore because it got too hot, it was over 98 celsius, probably very much over it, 98 just being the highest number speedfan can display. I first wanted to buy a new board and cpu, but it's a bit expensive.
    Today I thought of checking, if it needs cooling paste, but since I don't have any, I wondered if it works
    putting some hand balsam creme on it.
    First I was afraid to switch the pc on, because I wasn't sure it might burn (I'm a bit of a fraidy cat).
    But it seems ok and it is now "only" 50 celsius hot, and I can use all my programs again, which I couldn't yesterday.
    Now, the question I have is:
    Do you think it is dangerous to leave it about two days till the coolingpaste I ordered arrives?
    Battletag EU:
    Moonflower#2711

Quote Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post
    Do you think it is dangerous to leave it about two days till the coolingpaste I ordered arrives?
    I've never moisturized a CPU before, so I guess there's only one way to find out.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

I am watching it, it is slightly warmer today, but then also the weathertemperature is much higher today here.
    But it is still OK.
    I am amazed it works at all, I first just tried it, because I thought, it wouldn't matter since it is broken anyway.
    Battletag EU:
    Moonflower#2711

Oh geez...don't put anything on it but actual thermal paste. You get anything else down in the socket and you're going to spend the money on a new system anyway. Not only do we not know the thermal or electrical properties of "balsam creme" but we also don't know what the corrosion-inducing properties are. I'd bet dollars to donuts there are some kind of salts in it which will foster corrosion and shorts.

You can configure CoreTemp to automagically shut the system down if the temps go over a threshold; that's the easiest thing to do. You can also set the Power Options -> Edit plan settings -> Advanced power options -> Processor power management -> System cooling policy -> change from Active to Passive, which will slow down the CPU in an overheat condition rather than speeding up the fans.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Hello,
    You get anything else down in the socket and you're going to spend the money on a new system anyway.
    No, I only put very little so it couln't run unto anything else.
    Meanwhile I got my thermal paste, but the temperature is the same as it was with the creme.
    I will probably have to look for a better cpucooler, this one is only the one you get included in the box when you buy a cpu.
    My complete system is close to 8 years old, so I am not surprised one or the other part is getting bad.
    Battletag EU:
    Moonflower#2711