Close
Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Default Question about a new GPU

Hello all.
    I'm curently building a new gaming computer, and my question is mainly focused on WoW.

Blizzard has "upgraded" its engine for WoW lately, but I've seen many posts here and there about the very poor manadgement of the Nvidia GTX10XX Pascal architecture and sometimes bad performance. (many posts about really poor frame rate).

With my actual system (and a GTX 780 Ti 3G) I can 5-box without any real issue almost everywhere at 60 fps foreground and 4x25 fps background, except in Suramar (city) and sometimes the Broken Shore (some places), where I have sometimes very nasty fps drops, even with swap tricks (reducing texture filtering, view distance, weather density, ground clutter etc for background windows).

So, my question is kinda simple, to people who had the chance/time to test multiple configurations recently (MiRai, maybe? ) in short :
    A GTX 980 (or even a 980 Ti with a good deal) or a 1070 8G for WoW (the 1080 is still a little bit overpriced for me atm).

I know that the 980 series are kinda "outdated" now, and I don't play WoW exclusively, but I don't want to build a new system and get poor performance on this game.

Thanks in advance for any help

Quote Originally Posted by Nadisia View Post
    but I've seen many posts here and there about the very poor manadgement of the Nvidia GTX10XX Pascal architecture and sometimes bad performance. (many posts about really poor frame rate).
    You may have to elaborate on that statement, but the 10xx series is going to be the best performer available if you're buying new. Now, if you can find a nice deal on a 980 Ti with a transferable warranty, then that could easily be the better option.

However, I think it comes down to how much that extra 2GB of VRAM is worth to you.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

When I tested my mother's Christmas build with a 1070GTX against my 980Ti (same RAM, same motherboard, same i7-6700K CPU, same drivers, though I was running Win10 on the 1070 system), they were very close in performance as you moved forward from DX9 to DX11 effects and started ramping up things like anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, etc. The 1070 just had better overall internal optimizations for the high-graphics-memory use cases. In some instances, the difference was non-trivial. The 1070 is definitely a better deal, with an almost 33% discount vs the 980Ti.

980-vs-1070.png

I didn't save the images from the DX9/1080p tests in older games but suffice it to say that the 980Ti heaped scorn and shame on the 1070 in those tests. That said, we're talking a difference of 60min/130max(1070) vs 95min/330max(980), so even with that enormous disparity, you still aren't going to be crying about it.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

FWIW, I 5-box on a 30" monitor (2560x1600) with a 970 GTX, but to get good framerates, I have to keep the settings very low.
    If you're curious about what's bottlenecking you during low framerates, use something like this - http://openhardwaremonitor.org/