Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 20

Default Is gear useless now?

I was out doing world quests and noticed something odd, the health of the mob shows different on every toon. I think mobs scale with our gear now, not just our level.

The better gear we get the tougher the mobs are, might as well not get gear. I can foresee paladins being naked unless the gear has haste on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    I was out doing world quests and noticed something odd, the health of the mob shows different on every toon. I think mobs scale with our gear now, not just our level.

The better gear we get the tougher the mobs are, might as well not get gear. I can foresee paladins being naked unless the gear has haste on it.
    the world scales with you now as well. If all you ever do is in the world, then sure, gear is useless as you will always be the same % stronger than the mob you're hitting.

If you do anything not in the world or in a scaling environment - gear still matters, a lot.

Such ridiculously bad design on behalf of Blizzard. They snuck it in and there's been an uproar on the forums. They've scaled it down a bit, but haven't yet admitted how dumb of a decision it was, which IMO sends a pretty negative about where their game design is headed.

Quote Originally Posted by rapstar View Post
    Such ridiculously bad design on behalf of Blizzard. They snuck it in and there's been an uproar on the forums. They've scaled it down a bit, but haven't yet admitted how dumb of a decision it was, which IMO sends a pretty negative about where their game design is headed.
    not sure how dumb it is to try and keep content relevant tbh

Yes it is true.. the gearing will be needed though as mythics are damn hard now.

Link to forum post - https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17615271790

Gear still matters. The factor at which it matters is down-scaled a bit, but gaining gear still is intended to make you grow stronger in comparison to your surroundings. The change, according to Blizz, is only meant to slow down the rate at which your power level rises compared to the world over the course of the expansion:

The intent of our change in 7.2 was to smooth out that progression curve a bit, not flatten it out, and certainly never to invert it. If you get a great set of item upgrades that make you 5% stronger, maybe the world gets 1-2% tougher. Perhaps instead of getting 400% stronger over the course of the expansion relative to the outdoor world, you only get 250% stronger.
    Now, arguably for us this is change is fairly irrelevant, since our strength does not come from being gear capped, but rather having multiple toons. I don't like the design of the system, as it's just a cheap way of trying to make trivial content take longer. Applying such a system, especially mid-expansion and not talk about it until players call them out on it, is not going to over well or look very good on their behalf. I don't however see this affecting my gameplay all that much.
    Last edited by Wubsie : 04-01-2017 at 12:40 PM Reason: The [Blizz] tag is broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Wubsie View Post
    Gear still matters. The factor at which it matters is down-scaled a bit, but gaining gear still is intended to make you grow stronger in comparison to your surroundings. The change, according to Blizz, is only meant to slow down the rate at which your power level rises compared to the world over the course of the expansion:

That makes it worse in my mind.

If we get a 5% upgrade, the world gets 1-2% tougher. So...

Remember how gear is so RNG? If my hunter gets gear thats a 5% upgrade in iLevel, the world gets 1-2% tougher. But the gear had versatility on it and no mastery. So my gear upgrades but the same mobs are now 20% tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberie View Post
    not sure how dumb it is to try and keep content relevant tbh
    I don't understand this argument. So it takes longer to kill a mob I've killed already 500 times doing a quest I've done 20 times. This makes it more relevant? A key goal of progression is to feel like your more powerful, especially compared to the fresh 110. Scaling mobs is a complete 180 to this. This entire game is about progression, so to design something that takes away from that goal is simply a horrible idea. It's like game design 101 and I can't understand how it made it through.

I'm not quite ready to say the sky is falling on wow, but man it's hard to ignore the signal. And usually I just roll with changes / nerfs as a necessary evil... That's not what this is.
    Last edited by rapstar : 04-01-2017 at 07:03 PM Reason: Stupid phone autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Wubsie View Post

Now, arguably for us this is change is fairly irrelevant, since our strength does not come from being gear capped, but rather having multiple toons. I don't like the design of the system, as it's just a cheap way of trying to make trivial content take longer. Applying such a system, especially mid-expansion and not talk about it until players call them out on it, is not going to over well or look very good on their behalf. I don't however see this affecting my gameplay all that much.
    Agreed, it might even make multiboxing more powerful IMO. If I wasn't boxing I'd be taking a break (or more) due to this change.

I had a noticeable increase in kill speed with the changes. You still gain power relative to the world with every upgrade, and it certainly makes a difference in pvp
    "Tact is for those that lack the wit for sarcasm."