Close
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Default mSATA drive failure.

Hey folks,

so 2 hours into my patch 7.2 playtime I start to get a very slow response from my hard drive, decided to restart the laptop (Toshiba Qosmio X70) and nothing. Unable to find media, please restart computer.

Now I've googled replacing it, and it involves removing the motherboard as the port is on the underside...

Not sure I'm comfortable trying it lol.

Question is, should I try to find a laptop repair place locally and see if I can get it replaced...or should I just put a sata ssd in the empty drive slot and use that...?

Putting in another drive will be cheaper then paying someone to do basically the same thing. You'll just have to be comfortable with changing bios settings and installing an operating system.
    EVE Online Get Ships. Train Skills.

The changing drives, bios and installing I'm fine with. It's the stripping the components out of the laptop to change the mSATA drive I'm not sure of...

Think I'll just put a sata ssd in and reinstall windows. Then begins the process of trying to remember passwords etc. Teach me to back stuff up lol

Best Buy geek squad has a pretty good deal for stuff like that. If you're not comfortable and don't mind a couple extra days to get it done I would do that.

The only advantage mSATA has over standard SATA is taking up less space. If you already have a 2.5" slot to spare, you are much better off getting any popular SSD and call it a day. mSATA is more expensive, less capacity, and less speed. They are useful in laptops like mine, with a single 2.5" drive bay, and a mSATA, if you want/need a large capacity (2TB) drive, and don't want to spend so much for a 2TB SSD.