Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Default Thoughts on this build?

It's getting to be time to upgrade. My current computer (AMD FX8320, Radeon 7800 series GFX w/2gb gddr5, 16gb ram) can run 5x accounts, all on low @ 16fps in Dalaran @ 1080p - If I bump the main screen up to ultra...1 FPS! :P I can run a solo toon in Dalaran on ultra @ ~20fps.

I recently built my wife a new computer - driven by an i5 - 7600k and a RX480 4g. When I load my team up on her computer - it runs all 5 on low at around 70 FPS in Dalaran - If I bump the main screen to - ultra 30fps @ 1080p. It runs the cpu @ around 80% and pegs the gfx card to 100%, and utilizes around 60%+ of the available memory (16gb.) The 30 FPS in town was fairly smooth, but it doesn't leave much overhead for quality recording @ ultra.

I'm pretty happy with how her computer has been running and I will probably stay with intel for my PC. Even with the release of ryzen.

With the release of ryzen intel has cut their prices on a large number of their CPU's, and I anticipate that with the announcement of the 1080ti coming soon, there might be a reduction in price on the original 1080's.

So...

Here's the build that I was thinking of using.

With this computer, I would expect that it would run circles around my current build, and run a touch smoother than my wife's computer does in high pop areas. Hoping to do some decent quality recordings so I can get back to posting cool stuff on youtube. Definitely looking to record on ultra at 1080p with better than 20fps.

I could def. use some input from those of you that know more :P
    Last edited by Xixillia : 02-26-2017 at 07:26 PM Reason: Added expectations.
    Multiboxing since WoW:BC - MY YOUTUBE!

My input is... I doubt that the current top-of-the-line offerings are going to perform badly.

However, you might want to double that RAM.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    My input is... I doubt that the current top-of-the-line offerings are going to perform badly.
    That's kind of a MiRai stamp of approval! So probably meet and exceed expectations then?

32g ram it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Xixillia View Post
    That's kind of a MiRai stamp of approval! So probably meet and exceed expectations then?
    The only other move you could make (sticking with Intel) would be to go with an X99 setup for 6/8/10 cores, but I doubt you'd need it playing at 1920x1080.

32g ram it is.
    The only reason I say this is so you're covered in case you upgrade your display to a higher resolution, or really want to crank up the video settings. You should budget for WoW eating up to 2GB per game client, so that's 10GB just for five game clients—plus 2-3GB for Windows, plus whatever else you're running.

You can always add the other 16GB later, but don't wait too long because you'll forget about it and then the RAM you'll want will be EOL, and you won't be able to find the exact pair to match your current pair. Then you'll be stuck using mis-matched RAM, possibly hindering the performance of one of the two sets, or you'll be paying for a brand new full set of 32GB all over again.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Makes sense. I don't really see myself leaving 1920x1080 land any time soon. Monitors are expensive, and I also really don't like the ultra wide monitors either. Also, OS question

is there any performance reason to switch from widows 7 to windows 10?

is there any performance reason to switch from widows 7 to windows 10?
    Yes, W7 is getting old and has not been supported by MS, other than for security fixes, for 2 years now.

Ya, am scard that if the new amd chips are anything like there newer gfx-card mutiboxing is doomed seems my drives crash nonstop after a few hours of playing, its somthing to do with there automated overclocking/underclocking not understanding the load of all my clintes (yes i tried to trun it off and contal it by hand)

Solo is fine...