Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 11

Default Same name different realm.. ok or not?

Hello all : ) First post.

I've got an itch to start multiboxing. My computer is dying and I need to make a new one, tokens to Bnet balance came out, I've always wanted to multibox, so what better time than now : )

I'm trying to learn as much as I can atm. I've got two accounts right now and I'm starting to make a few extra characters and realized naming might be an issue.

I assume I'll use isboxer, it's been recommended to me. If I should use something else let me know.

So, to the question... Is it ok to have more than one WoW character with the same name (different realms) while multiboxing?
    Are there ANY reasons why this is a bad idea? Aside from me just getting confused.
    I'm open to any reasons why it might not be good.. software, macros, PvE, PvP, farming, gathering, mailing, etc.

If it matters, my goal is to 5box. I think it would be hilarious to have 5 of the same name as long as it would work fine.

Hi yes you can have them on different realms with the same name if you wonted now there is two ways to do this...

Connected Realms.

This is when the links are connected kinda like merged you need to find all a list of 5 connected to do this right though.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Connected_Realms

i know there is a few with more then 5 linked so that should be ok

this be the best as you can be in the same guild trade and everything like you are from a single realm.

And you can Cross realm now this is a bit harder.

With this your not going to beadle to trade items/gold be in the same guild. but this works if you wonted to play on PvP/PvE realms.

if you use Jamba then that is fully supported on both but the cross realm you need different BatteTags for jamba to work right.

i would not really do this i do but that is because atm am playing on a pve realm and pvp realm and i play over 5 toons.

Jamba is a addon that is great for doing a lot of the leg work with the ingame API. taxi routes/quests/items syncing etc....

PS: most here will tell you to use isboxer there is nothing better out there there is free opts but nothing better.

I won't be using linked servers, I don't mind about trading and gold. The intention of spreading out servers would be to be able to setup AH operations of different servers.

if you use Jamba then that is fully supported on both but the cross realm you need different BatteTags for jamba to work right.
    So if all 5 accounts are on the same BNet, and the characters have the same name, and are on different realms, Jamba won't work?

i would not really do this i do but that is because atm am playing on a pve realm and pvp realm and i play over 5 toons.
    I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to here.

Jamba is a addon that is great for doing a lot of the leg work with the ingame API. taxi routes/quests/items syncing etc....
    I'm new to learning about this so I don't know anything about it yet.
    Are there other similar addons? Is there a good place to learn about this?

PS: most here will tell you to use isboxer there is nothing better out there there is free opts but nothing better.
    [/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpete View Post
    So, to the question... Is it ok to have more than one WoW character with the same name (different realms) while multiboxing?
    Yes, it's fine, since characters are identified by their realm. If you're going to be using ISBoxer like you say, then there's a realm field for you to fill out.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpete View Post
    Are there ANY reasons why this is a bad idea? Aside from me just getting confused.
    I'm open to any reasons why it might not be good.. software, macros, PvE, PvP, farming, gathering, mailing, etc.
    I guess there's the potential problem where you won't be able to trade anything between those characters unless they share a connected realm, but, no, other than perhaps some edge case situations where you're hard-coding namelists into add-ons, which could probably be fixed anyway if you knew Lua well enough.
    Last edited by MiRai : 02-24-2017 at 12:33 PM
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

I guess there's the potential problem where you won't be able to trade anything between those characters unless they share a connected realm,
    I don't mind about the trading. One of them will be an enchanter so it can get any dungeon loot.

but, no, other than perhaps some edge case situations where you're hard-coding namelists into add-ons, which could probably be fixed anyway if you knew Lua well enough.
    I know nothing about it except it's used for addons : D

Do you know anything about the issues with Jamba that ebony brought up?

ok now i know your ok about trading.

Jamba is the only addon for boxers that's got someone (ME) that is infact mutiboxes the game. and is current getting new staff added all the time.

some does not use a addon and just use isboxer boardcasting to turn in quests, not saying you have to use this addon, just many do.

the problem is not down to the Addon its down to the way blizzard deal with addons that send data to each other using the in game channels.

I have done my best to support it as best as i can cross realm. if your all in the same party/raid then most stuff will be fine, but if you leave that party or raid for whatever reason, then parts of the addon can not send the data cross realm as the channel is still locked to realm (unless you got that toon your battletag friends list (u can not be your own friend with the same batte.net account) )

so if you play five all on whatever servers. and use jamba as long as you get them all in the group most stuff be fine.

like i said there nothing saying you have to use jamba or any addon. the other mutiboxing addons does not support -realm at all so even connect realm they do not work.

I play on a PvE and PvP server. but i have all my pvp toons on one BatteTag and my pve toons on 2nd. but they are all on the same realm (BN1 outland BN2 CoA) so comms is always working but most of the time i play in 2 partys I play 8 or 10 and then the toons in the 2nd group would not support jamba at all.

sorry to confuse you, just don't want you to come down line later in your game asking why this and that does not work.
    Last edited by ebony : 02-25-2017 at 05:16 AM

Thank you for the response ebony : )

So as long as I'm understanding you correctly, the issue would arise from them being on different realms while still being on the same BNet.

Back to my original question though.. would it be a problem if the characters had the same name?

I don't mind having a few issues here and there caused by being on different realms, because the advantage of being able to setup AH operations on those separate servers will be worth it. However, if issues will be caused by the names.. that's something I can avoid : )

Back to my original question though.. would it be a problem if the characters had the same name?

not as long as you fill the -realm tag right. and make sure u do it in isboxer if not follow/assit would not work right.

Quote Originally Posted by ebony View Post

not as long as you fill the -realm tag right. and make sure u do it in isboxer if not follow/assit would not work right.

If this is your first team, I wouldn't recommend having them set so you can't share resources between them - i.e unable to trade gold for repairs, or enchants, or etc.

Also - from the social standpoint - I find that having characters with the same names is like a target painted on one's back when running LFR, or PVP. People have a tendency to react very poorly (read that as toxic as fuck) to a group of characters with the same names. (My shammy team, and my first hunter team were all named using a naming scheme.)
    Multiboxing since WoW:BC - MY YOUTUBE!