Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 15

Hybrid View

Default From 3 to 5 man machine upgrade for WOW

Noob here,

I dont know much about computers, ( I know alot about cooking thou ) I have no idea what graphic cards Im looking for or anything on that matter.

At the moment I'm doing tri multiboxing with a

CPU: i5 4460 CPu 3.20Hz
    ASUSTEK H97 -PRO
    VIDEO CARD: GEFORCE 9600GT
    RAM 32GB

While I have no problem mining or herbing or doing WQuest.

I tested a 5 man team and it felt fine but when I hit Legion the game was unplayable. The only zone I could be ok in was Highmountain
    So I thought I could come here and ask about advice. Living in Japan Video cards are so expensive compared to the states.

So just a video card would allow me to play wow? My max is about 40, 000 yen

Im looking for an upgrade for the lowest setting, I dont care really, I just need to be able to play smoothly.

Ive been reading not to buy an Raedon coz of the crossfire SLI it wont able to play in window version of wow?

Anyone give some suggestions
    This is the website I will be using

http://kakaku.com/pc/videocard/ranking_0550/

while alot of things will be in Japanese the ranking of them the specs are in English..

A 1060 6GB card should be plenty for basic 5-man multiboxing at 1080p with managed settings. Looking at those prices, they aren't all that far off of Amazon in the US. 250-290US there vs 220-290 here. For example, the ASUS STRIX-GTX1060-DC2O6G is about $300US here on Amazon, and if my conversion rate is right, it's about $284US there. You'll still need to manage background client settings to make it work well but that should be sufficient, especially if you've been OK with a 9600GT.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

I believe the i5 4460 only has 4 cores and no hyperthreading.
    A while ago I bought a non-hyperthreaded CPU (Core i5-2500) and found it to be insufficient to handle 5 toons.
    I replaced it with a hyperthreaded CPU (Core i7-2600) and it was a noticeable improvement.
    So you may want to consider a hyperthreaded CPU, if you're going to move to 5 toons.

the hyperthreading makes a world of difference. i recently upgraded to a i7 and it pretty much fixed all my issues with my 5 box team.. also my computer runs much cooler now.. with all 5 boxes running i keep a cpu temp of around 55-60 degrees

Thanks for the replies

Ok ive order the 1060 6GB and a SSD harddrive, Also gonna upgrade to windows 10

Its a shame coz i bought my CPU last year, Im gonna see if it works without the the upgrade and if it dont then Ill have to upgrade I guess ;(
    Last edited by Kojiiko : 02-14-2017 at 02:24 AM

Hell im using a (kaby lake) g4560 intel and a 650ti and can 5 box wow no prob oh and 16 gigs of ddr4 ram

I suppose the resolution is a big factor. I'm running at 2560x1600 x5 toons. A g4560 would be quite insufficient I expect. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Bollwerk View Post
    I suppose the resolution is a big factor. I'm running at 2560x1600 x5 toons. A g4560 would be quite insufficient I expect. =)
    Yes, and it's one of the two things that people generally leave out when they refer to being able to multibox with their own setup:

1) What is the resolution you play at?
    1b) Using ISBoxer? Instant swapping enabled? <--- This is useful to know because if you're using other software, then it's likely you aren't running the same resolution on each of your game clients, and therefore have a reduced load.
    2) What video settings are you using in game? Different on main and slaves or same across them all?

Other things to know, that I find to be useful are:

1) Foreground/Background framerates?
    2) Using a "slot-swap" macro with your setup?
    3) Are your framerates dipping low at times outside of heavily populated areas? Are you okay with this for an extended period of time?
    4) Are you monitoring your hardware to know what the loads being produced are and how close you are to maxing your system?

Personally, I need to sit down one of these days and clean up the stickies in this sub-forum, as well as update everything with more up-to-date information—it's my fault for slacking on these things.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Here we go, See things like I just dont know . . .

1) It just says custom (1280*760 wide) when multiboxing it wont allow me to change it. Just as only that option. So whats the best or sorry easier option for them?

1b) Yes using ISboxer. Instant swapping enabled? My clicking different client screens u mean? then yes

2)All video setting in game are 1. On the main and on the clients

1) 15/30
    2) No idea what u mean sorry
    3) Highmountain farming at the coast is ok , the rest of wow its lagvile. If i turn off the 5 and run the 4 it ain bad but when I come to populated areas its lagvile again. Same if I run with 3, I can not go to dalaran as a team, just one by one
    4) No idea how to do that

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiiko View Post
    Here we go, See things like I just dont know . . .
    My reply was more in response to Jar's post of just giving the model of the CPU and GPU, and then saying that they "can multibox" with those. There's just a lot of missing information there which would normally be useful for others to use and compare their own performance with.

In your case, you've already bought the hardware, so it's a little late to say what you should buy based on what you said above. Then again, a GTX 1070 has always been my recommendation for this tier of nVidia GPUs, but that was too much for your current budget, so you went with a 1060, and if you stick with the same resolution as you've listed above, then I imagine you're going to be content with the results.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology