Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 22

Default Is 5 protection paladins considered the way to go?

Hello,

I'm new both to WoW (level 60) and multiboxing. I haven't even gotten isboxer or my RAF accounts. However, I've been trying to read these forums before starting. I want to avoid trying this and giving up after a certain level.

I've watched some amazing videos old and new, with mixed classes, same classes, and mythical level dungeons. So what I'm trying to get my head around is what team composition would be considered fairly newbie friendly yet allow for some future proofing (if this is even possible) since I only want to make one team (5 man). Would this be 5 paladins? Or is there something else to take into consideration?

Watom

hunters are working great for most players that do not want to go down the line of the proc paladins (like me) 5 bm can be really fun and works great.

they can take a little longer to to dungeons as you need to walk to the dungeons as they can not use LFG. (this does not matter much in legion as top dungeons you have to walk to anyway)

just goes down to what your planing of doing at cap.

Quote Originally Posted by ebony View Post
    hunters are working great for most players that do not want to go down the line of the proc paladins (like me) 5 bm can be really fun and works great.

they can take a little longer to to dungeons as you need to walk to the dungeons as they can not use LFG. (this does not matter much in legion as top dungeons you have to walk to anyway)

Thank you for the reply. That's a good point... I'm guessing at cap I would raid with one character and have fun doing 5 man with my multiboxing team to the best of my ability.

A follow up question, why do players prefer 5 hunters instead of 4 hunters and 1 healer type?

Quote Originally Posted by Watom View Post
    A follow up question, why do players prefer 5 hunters instead of 4 hunters and 1 healer type?
    well to be fair i do normally play with 3 disc priests as i 8/10 box. so i do have access to a healer i guess.

I just found that bursting the Boss down ASP (+ this is what David is doing) and then you not got to deal with healing i guess i might try a healer when i unlock my 3rd artifact slot and there ilvl is 850+

sometimes its easyer to stay with the same class with class halls with legion but i already got kinda a mix going on with hunters/disc (maybe 2 locks soon)

well to be fair i do normally play with 3 disc priests as i 8/10 box. so i do have access to a healer i guess.

I just found that bursting the Boss down ASP (+ this is what David is doing) and then you not got to deal with healing i guess i might try a healer when i unlock my 3rd artifact slot and there ilvl is 850+

sometimes its easyer to stay with the same class with class halls with legion but i already got kinda a mix going on with hunters/disc (maybe 2 locks soon)
    Thanks ebony!

5x Death Knights and Bear Druids are pretty strong, too.
    "Tact is for those that lack the wit for sarcasm."

Currently a team of 5 BM hunters would be most friendly for a new boxer. Being ranged makes it much easier to control the movement of your characters as you won't have to deal with IWT etc.
    Also having 5 of the same class is definitely much easier than starting with a mixed team straight off.
    BM Hunter is extremely easy to control, you can handle all abilities while moving (except for when you need to ress a pet). The core abilities you don't even have to face the target to cast.

As for future-proofing. In the last expansion 5 hunters could do mythics. In legion we can also do that. The only exception being very special encounters which really needs a healer class. I have only come upon Helya in Maw of Souls which is just really tough for 5 hunters. All other bosses are pretty much doable unless I've forgotten about any dungeon.

Other viable setups for mythic dungeons are teams of 5 tanks. Paladin, DK, druid are confirmed to work fine. But that's melee and is more complex to control as a first team.

5 BM hunter and DK cannot queue in LFG, Paladin and Druid can. That doesn't matter so much if you mostly do mythics(+) in Legion, but might be troublesome while leveling and if you want to do many dungeons.

--Edit: My recommendations are based heavily on the simplicity of multiboxing when actually fighting etc. If being able to queue with LFG tool is something you really want to do, you may want to base your decision on that instead--

I started with 5 Hunters, and it was easy and great. Since that I've played 5 elemental shamans and 5 Protection Paladins. And now soon 1 year later I'm back with my 5 hunters as my main team
    Last edited by davidmage : 01-27-2017 at 09:53 AM

This is purely my opinion, but:

If you want to be able to easily and endlessly run dungeons, a team that is able to pick all the roles of the LFD tool is going to be ideal - you don't have to be in the role (heal, dps, tank), just allowed to select it. Personally, I found it annoying having to travel to the dungeon manually and it took time that I could otherwise spend killing things and leveling up. For this purpose, and for a new boxer, I would think that 5 paladins or 5 druids would be ideal. Maybe a *little* tricky because they are a melee team and might be a tiny bit harder to get the hang of.

If you wanted to have a team that wasn't melee, but could still run dungeons easily without having to travel to them, you could do the typical "trinity" team - 1 tank, 3 ranged DPS and 1 healer. It's the way many boxers start off, but I feel like you're trading the complexity of melee teams for the complexity of having to manage at least 3 different classes (well, 2 classes and 3 roles). I started with a paladin tank, 3 elemental shaman and 1 resto shaman when I began boxing in Wrath of the Lich King, and it was a solid team.

5 hunters are good too, but you can't run random dungeons with them - you have to get to the dungeons to run them. Adding a healer doesn't seem worth it - it won't let you queue for dungeons, and it's probably going to add complexity that you might not want right off.

Right now I have 2 teams - 5x DH tanks at level 110 and they are mostly doing world quests now to gear up a bit, and I like them quite well, and 5x paladin tanks, at about level 83, and they are incredibly fun and all I've done with them since I hit level 10 is run dungeons through the LFD tool.
    Last edited by kate : 01-27-2017 at 10:11 AM

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    This is purely my opinion, but:

If you want to be able to easily and endlessly run dungeons, a team that is able to pick all the roles of the LFD tool is going to be ideal - you don't have to be in the role (heal, dps, tank), just allowed to select it. Personally, I found it annoying having to travel to the dungeon manually and it took time that I could otherwise spend killing things and leveling up. For this purpose, and for a new boxer, I would think that 5 paladins or 5 druids would be ideal. Maybe a *little* tricky because they are a melee team and might be a tiny bit harder to get the hang of.

If you wanted to have a team that wasn't melee, but could still run dungeons easily without having to travel to them, you could do the typical "trinity" team - 1 tank, 3 ranged DPS and 1 healer. It's the way many boxers start off, but I feel like you're trading the complexity of melee teams for the complexity of having to manage at least 3 different classes. I started with a paladin tank, 3 elemental shaman and 1 resto shaman when I began boxing in Wrath of the Lich King, and it was a solid team.

5 hunters are good too, but you can't run random dungeons with them - you have to get to the dungeons to run them. Adding a healer doesn't seem worth it - it won't let you queue for dungeons, and it's probably going to add complexity that you might not want right off.

Right now I have 2 teams - 5x DH tanks at level 110 and they are mostly doing world quests now to gear up a bit, and I like them quite well, and 5x paladin tanks, at about level 83, and they are incredibly fun and all I've done with them since I hit level 10 is run dungeons through the LFD tool.
    I agree with this. Hunters are great..but you can't que for dungons with them, you have to go to the dungon location. 5 Palies..5druids work well because you can que for dungons. IF that does not matter to you.. 5 hunters work.
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )