Close
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: VRAM Question

Default VRAM Question

I searched the forums and didn't see anything recent so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Just getting back into boxing after a long break that was interrupted by copious amounts of bourbon LOL

I run 5 clients on a 22" monitor and looking to upgrade my GPU. Is 3GB of VRAM sufficient or would 6GB be the way to go? I do run 3 monitors but only play on one. I usually have Netflix playing on one of the others but that would be done with my current card (Radeon R9 380)

Depends on which GPU you are looking at moving too. Most of the newer ones will have more vRAM.
    Also depends a little on how many pixels you want to drive (physical size of the screen doesn't matter), and for games, at what texture quality/AA settings.

Easiest method would be to set your graphics to the quality you want, and then monitor vRAM usage, to see how much it needs. Extrapolate that to 5 clients. Not that it will necessarily be a true measure, but if you start 1, then 2, then 3, with the graphics settings you want, you should be able to get a reasonable estimate of the desired vRAM for 5.
    As a general indicator, the first 4-600MB will be used by Windows.

Since you're already running 5 clients, you can see how much VRAM you're currently using with tools like https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
    Check the numbers at your current settings, with both a single client and 5 clients, to get an approximate ratio. Then, if you want, you can run a single client at higher settings and check the VRAM usage and extrapolate from there using the ratio you previously determined. It should give you a reasonably accurate rough estimate.

Meh, I stopped on the way home from work and picked up an EVGA GTX 1070 with 8GB. This should do for now LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dasana View Post
    Meh, I stopped on the way home from work and picked up an EVGA GTX 1070 with 8GB. This should do for now LOL
    Well, that's one way to solve the issue.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology