Close
Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Folder Setup

Default Folder Setup

Hi all,

I'm wanting to get into multi-boxing again but am a bit unsure how to start as far as setting up WoW properly.

A few years ago when I dabbled in multi-boxing, I had multiple WoW directories/folders and had to launch the WoW.exe in each one (or Keyclone did). However, now that they have the Blizzard Launcher, I was unsure about if this is necessary now.

I have been reading the stickies and saw this:

Next you should install your game. There's many schools of though on this. Some run everything out of one folder/install {per computer}. Some use 1 for the main, 1 for the slaves. Others use an individual one for every instance. Some use Symlinks to have partial installs.

Using Symlinks is a way to use multiple folders without having to use multiple full installs of your games
    So,

1. Do I need multiple WoW directories or should I use Symlinks with the new Battle.net Launcher (or is there a better option)?

2. Are there any advantages/disadvantages of each of these methods? What methods do you prefer?

3. Is there a way to setup WoW (like with the trial versions) and ISBoxer to see if everything is setup correctly before dumping the money for 4x copies of WoW/Legion?

I plan to use a single computer and ISBoxer.

Thanks for all of your advice/help.

1. no need
    2. maybe if you want completely different addon set ups but not really
    3. yes, make a random bnet, send RAF links to it from your main to make trials.

I have used Symlink before but that was to have a completely different Interfact and WTF folder for raiding on my main toon.

Quote Originally Posted by bgarisn View Post
    I plan to use a single computer and ISBoxer.
    Well, then I guess there's no need for dicking around with symlinks and all of that mumbo jumbo.

1. Do I need multiple WoW directories or should I use Symlinks with the new Battle.net Launcher?
    WoW doesn't require you to open the game through the launcher, so any multiboxing program can still open up multiple game clients by simply executing the exe file multiple times. However, if you want to use the launcher, then, since you've already stated you'll be using it, it's easy to do so with ISBoxer.

2. Are there any advantages/disadvantages of each of these methods? What methods do you prefer?
    To my knowledge, nobody's ever benchmarked it per se, but there's this page on the ISBoxer Wiki.

3. Is there a way to setup WoW (like with the trial versions) and ISBoxer to see if everything is setup correctly before dumping the money for 4x copies of WoW/Legion?
    The exact same way you'd play a retail account, as the process for logging into an account is the same regardless
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Thanks for the replies

I'm glad I'm not going to need multiple copies of the WoW directory like I used to.

I'll check out ISBoxer later tonight and see if I can get all setup.

Thanks for the clarification and help.