Close
Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Default Fully Programmable Keyboard

Hey all. I've just come back to WoW after a multi year break. I wanted to update some of the hardware I used to use to box. Most notably, I wanted to replace my old X-Keys 60 keypad. If you don't know what an X-Keys keypad is, its a programmable keypad that has removable key caps which allows you to custom label each key. When X-Keys changed from PS/2 to USB, they introduced their programming software which I never really liked. So, decided to find a replacement.

Old X-Keys thread: http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/5...o-is-sooo-hawt

XKeys60.png

While searching for a programmable keyboard, I stumbled across an option that never occurred to me, a Point of Sale (POS) keyboard. These are the keyboards you see at registers in restaurants, convenience stores, etc. They often need to use functions keys or other key combinations to access various register functions. POS keyboards are designed for this and have the same removable keycaps like the X-Keys so that they can put a label so that the cashier doesn't have to remember to hit control-F12 for an exchange, or whatever. There are a variety of manufacturers, but one really stood out, Cherry. Almost all mechanical keyboards feature key switches from Cherry.

G86-61400EUADAA.png

I ordered a Cherry G86-61400EUADAA just before Thanksgiving and have played with it the last week or so. This is the basic POS keyboard (no magnetic swipe reader or touch pad). It features 54 relegendable keys (removable key caps) that are programmable. However, you can program every key on the keyboard. Don't like the caps lock or windows key, reprogram them to something else. It takes about 10 seconds to load a new key map. I'm only using pretty basic key combinations which are working fine for me.

Cherry_Tools.jpg

This keyboard isn't as sexy as my back lit gaming keyboard, but the functionality and configurability is hard to beat.

I've switched to a Corsair STRAFE, which has the cherry mx brown keys (somewhat quiet but still mechanical). It has multiple modes you can program into it, so I can remap keys for three different games and instantly swap between the configs by pressing a button. It also does the usual programmable things like holding down a key will auto-repeat that key, specific other keys or sequences of keys as you desire. It's a pretty excellent keyboard, especially if having a slightly non-standard layout helps your carpal tunnel issues. Combine it with ISBoxer and I can just focus on enjoying the games.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Saw this on Newegg's spotlight this morning.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...39&ignorebbr=1

Instantly started wondering how reactive the keys are, if the API is exposed to be integrated into ISBoxer, etc...