Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 1 DK 4 Paladins

Default 1 DK 4 Paladins

Blood DK and 4 Prot Paladins for Mythic+? Any thoughts?

DK is 880 iLvl

Paladins lvl 100

Would be a wonderful team.

I would rather do 5 DKs or 5 Prot pali just to make everything simpler but that team would be better if you get everything setup great.

Blood DKs are the solo type of class and numerically have more cooldowns to manage than palladins, but with IsBoxer it shouldn't be too much trouble with mixed team.

I think it would work just fine but I don't think it would be as good as 4 blood + 1 prot pally or 5x prot pallys.

It is a tough call as you are mixing the pros and cons of the two most effective 5 man Mythic+ comps (so far) in Legion.

I think by playing just 1 dk you would lose a lot of utility without the extra grips and battle rezes. Grip is the best gap closer available to multiboxers. Being able to pull mobs that disengage/run and to also group adds on a boss into a nice tight cluster to be cleaved off from the boss is amazing. Combine that with 5 blood elves AoE silence and you can essentially CC an entire pack of mobs and never allow them to get a cast off while also having short CD ranged stuns on the particularly difficult trash mobs/adds. You can also use grip as an interrupt for channeled abilities that cannot be interrupted such as the shockwave mobs in blackrook hold. DKs also have a 15 yard range on interrupt whereas paladins have to either use avenger shield (which is less ideal as its on the global cd) or be in melee range to interrupt. Lots of Brezs lets you brute force difficult mechanics and bosses.

Dks can do way more self healing than a prot paladin and have 1+ million more life and have shorter CDs and immunity to tackle mechanics with. If you cant immunity through it you have multiple battle rezes. Still, DKs also take more damage since paladins have better proactive % based mitigation and CDs. I think for dungeons it is better to be reactive than proactive, as dungeon bosses and trash don't hit nearly as hard as raid bosses and trash mobs do. DKs largely take care of themselves when they are not actively tanking. On large spikes of AoE my paladin struggles to stay alive while my dks are in much better shape and do not require any extra healing except the one that is tanking. My Dks do struggle on dot based or frequent small hits that cause them to lose boneshield stacks at too fast of a rate to maintain it. (Note: in 7.1.5 they are making bone shield to only be removed by melee hits not AoE or Dots)

Paladins have the ability to heal anyone both inside and outside of combat without having to melee something to stay alive. Having more paladins means you will be able to keep your active tank topped off easier and have more heals to throw out on toons who need it. Trash is usually one toon being trucked by all of the mobs because it landed a bigger crit than the others (or has more gear than the others) which caused it to have more threat but sometimes it can also be split between a few toons so having more manual control of your healing can be more ideal. The issue with manual heals is we are typically stacked as melee multiboxers so we will all get hit with mechanics evenly combined with the 1 toon that is actively tanking a boss. If you are not a full group of paladins someone is not going to receive an equal amount of healing and will slowly trickle down with constant damage. For paladin teams you typically want one toon to tank so you can get the maximum benefit from the artifact traits Light of the Titans HoT on that toon which can buy you time for you to throw out a quick heal on your other paladins. The tricky part is since paladins hand of the protector heals based on missing % hp it heals a paladin for quite a bit less than it does a DK at the same % HP. So to get a higher healing output you need to be at lower % HP. This may may make your paladins more as risk of dying if they do not have an active mitigation or cd running to tackle an upcoming mechanic. Pallys do have some party healing in the form of judgement and consecration but were talking maybe 15-30k healing per second per toon which is not a whole lot of healing if they just ate 2 500k+ hits. You also have to stay in consecration for it to heal your toons which is not very ideal when most bosses make you move around as melee. You can't stack multiple judgements (so far as I know) Pallys also have a bit of self healing via the absorb shield trait for 50% of the damage avenger shield did but this is difficult to maintain as the buff only lasts for 8 seconds. Pallys still have a very powerful amount of healing via casting flash of light. It is nearly the same amount of healing as a holy paladin and you can cast 5-6 per toon until you run out of mana and have to wait for a bit. This is something that a mostly DK team does not have if they they cant melee something then they can't really heal.

TLDR: I think a paladin based team would handle single target damage (both taking and dealing) better whereas a DK team would handle AoE damage better. DKs have better group utility (at least in regards to dungeons and multiboxing) and shorter CDs but their CDs are not as powerful as a paladins. DKs heal for more but paladins give you more control over where your healing is going and you still have the ability to toss a few flash of lights out.

Note about 5x Blood:

I did consider going this route but I would not be able to use the dungeon finder while gearing up as I wouldn't have a trinity group. I also think its more difficult and requires a lot more work since it would be clunky trying to taunt trade on trash and bosses to keep your DKs from falling over.

P.S. Wow this turned into a long post. It's a bit of a slower day at work...
    Last edited by Xeneres : 12-01-2016 at 05:35 PM

Great info Xeneres. Thanks for typing it up!
    Hyjal (Horde) Guild: Shock n Awe

Also with 5xDKs you'd also miss out on timewalking weekly quest which grants a raid piece. And holiday bosses that often drop mounts/pets. There's the daily AP token that drops from random heroic but thats not such a big deal.

You wouldn't notice it any other time as you have to travel to the dungeons anyways for mythics.

Also appreciate the information. I have been going over the different options and I think it just comes down to actually seeing the content and knowing as much as possible about the different classes to know what will work.

I feel like there is a potential healer that we could utilize, most likely at 80% of true capacity that would slingshot stability and open up even more options, but already being able to down the current level of mythic + I'd say multiboxing is in a good spot.
    FFXIV - Aether - Sargatanas
    Twitch - https://twitch.tv/multidayz
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/Multidayz

Quote Originally Posted by Ellay View Post
    being able to down the current level of mythic + I'd say multiboxing is in a good spot.
    Give the dev team time. I'm sure they'll rectify that oversight.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)