Close
Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Default 5-man build Now, 10 man for future

I'm planning on using some black friday deals to build a completely new system. For now, the goal is to multibox 5 World of Warcraft Legion clients in a 5 man environment, maybe some LFR. Resolution is 1080p, and the clients would be either all medium, or high on master and low on slaves.

I'm currently planning on 16GB ram, SSD, 1060 6GB, i7-6700k.

I'm assuming that this would be enough for the five man team, but if im wrong please let me know.

Now, in the future, I might eventually consider going up to 10 boxes to try my own raids and take my failures to the next level . Would these parts be able to sustain 10 boxes, with master on high and slaves on slow, at 1080p? If not, what would you suggest?

I used to box 10x Legion @ 1080p with i7-2600K, SSD, 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz and a GTX 980 4GB.

While this setup was just fine for World Quests and any other outworld activities, I had quite massive lags in Capital cities, such as Dalaran.
    I troubleshot the system, and it appeared that 16GB ram just was not enough for 10x Legion clients.

If you don't mind some lagging in heavy crowded areas then I'm sure 16GB would do it, but I would recommend double the ram just in case if possible.
    Or if your mobo have 4 slots for RAM, you might want to consider using only two slots with 2x8GB memory modules, and possibly add another 2x8GB later if needed.

I upgraded the CPU from i7-2600K to i7-6700K but the differences on that are quite minimal, as the good old i7-2600K still performs quite well these days.
    I also had to upgrade the motherboard, and the most importantly, I went a bit crazy with the memory upgrade, from 16GB DDR3 to 64GB DDR4 so that should last another five years and whatever comes after Legion, I should have hardware for it already.

I'm not a fortune teller, but I think it's safe to say that 16GB will not handle 10x next expansion, even with lowest settings.

I currently 10-box on these spec.

Cpu i7 3930k
    Gtx 980 ti 6gb
    64 gb ram
    SSD raid 0
    Asus sabertooth x79 mobo
    1080 resolution

I play on lower than low settings for all slaves except the master, which i can crank to the max just fine.

I only get slow downs in major cities with lots of people. In dalaran and org, i can hit near max cpu on all 6 cores
    Otherwise, fps is around 30 to 45 depending on what i am doing.

As for my ram my 10-box doesnt even use half - i rhink about 23gb total if i recall correctly ( i am at work so cant chexk atm). The reason i have so much is for a ram disk for near instant loading times.

Now days, i would go with a Nvme disk than a RAM drive-but a standard SSD or 2x SSD in raid 0 is more than fine
    Last edited by daanji : 11-23-2016 at 10:31 AM