Close
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Default Razer Blade Pro 2016 (GTX 1080) laptop review

I pre-ordered the Razer Blade Pro 2016 GTX 1080 version and just received it.
    I feel pretty qualified to review this because I actually have 2x 4k laptops 17.3", 1x 4k 15.6", 1x 17.3" 1080p. All with the same CPU.

Obviously, the idea was to use this for multiboxing.

First off, the price is pretty insane, it was about $4k with tax.
    Here's a link to all the details: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro

It's has a 17.3" touch screen laptop with 4k resolution.
    It has a GTX 1080 with 8 gigs ram.
    32 gigs memory
    512 gigs SSD storage - Raid 0. It's using PCIe 4x lanes as well (the samsung 950 chips), so you get insane SSD speed, like 20Gbs.
    MECHANICAL chic-let keyboard - best keyboard I've ever used on a laptop, you hear the click click

The laptop is less than 1" thick, but only shaves off about .5" width and length from the alienware 17.3" laptop. I thought it would be a bit smaller.

So I installed WoW and took my 5x level 110 druids out for a spin. WoW loaded REALLY fast, about 2x faster than my Raid 0 desktop setup.

Gameplay was 60fps, smooth as silk at about 5 graphics level.

The mechanical RGB illuminated keyboard is really nice - not as nice as a real keyboard, but it feels much better than a standard laptop, but there is a trackpad in place on the number pad - so if you use the number pad - you're out of luck.

Speakers were decent, just don't turn it all the way up or you can hear a bit of rattle. I almost always use headphones, but in this case I just played with speakers on.

Multiboxing a full dungeon did make the laptop pretty loud - with fans blowing. Not sure how you'd get around that. The laptop did get warm, but not so warm that it was uncomfortable to play.

But - after all was said and done - this was the first time I multiboxed on a laptop where it felt as good as my desktop. The only thing I missed was a massive screen.

Overall, the 4k screen was perfect/beautiful. Performance was perfect with 5x max level characters. 60fps all the way. No slowdowns at all that I noticed, seemed almost exactly the same as playing on my desktop, aside from the massive monitor. And the fact I could lay in bed and play and got some quests done before reset that I wouldn't have normally. (Not sure that alone was worth $4k though)

So, if you have money to burn, you might want to check it out when it's available for pre-order again.

However, you also might want to check out other 4k laptops with the GTX 1080 for a more cost-effective price - that card is a beast.

On my other 4k 17.3" laptop (gtx 980m), it seemed to make more sense to use 1080p resolution, but with the GTX 1080, 4k makes an insane difference when boxing 5 characters. You can actually see what's going on, even on a 17.3" screen.

-Kick
    Sweet* teams - <unGankable> - Kil'Jaeden US Alliance - 10x Shamans, 9x DKs 1x Pally, 10x Drews

So, apparently you are the first person on the WWW to review this laptop. I registered just to be able to ask a few questions, if you don't mind:
    1) can you disable the discrete gpu from the bios/UEFI? I know it sounds counter intuitive, but I won't need it on all the time, so being able to switch to the igpu with a reboot would be nice so save some battery life.
    2) how is the cooling system performing under load? Could you post some temps?
    3) what display panel does it use? Is it the same as the previous model? The best way to find it out should be from the edid http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...did-on-windows
    4) did you have any chance to look at battery life under casual use?
    5) any idea if I can can disable raid0 from bios/uefi? (it would be weird if it wasn't possible, but better being sure).
    I won't actually be using this laptop for gaming, but coding and deep learning on the go.

Hi Volcacius,
    When I get home tonight I'll check and post the results.

It has gsync, so it doesn't use the hybrid processor graphics (where you can pick if apps use the built in intel video vs nvidia). I'll see if you can disable this in BIOS.

I'll check on the RAID 0 as well, I think raid 0 in this case is overkill, I already had a alienware raid 0 setup fail. Hopefully it'll do Raid 1 as well as normal modes. It does use the Intel Raid software, so I'm pretty certain it has 0, 1 support.

I justified this laptop with my work computer budget, so I'll bring it on trips so I can code etc... on it - as well as multibox.
    Sweet* teams - <unGankable> - Kil'Jaeden US Alliance - 10x Shamans, 9x DKs 1x Pally, 10x Drews

So a few items of note.

My GF used the laptop to just browse the web looking at trips or something, and she mentioned it got pretty hot. And it was "fairly" hot when she was done - just with chrome and standard stuff running - no games. I wouldn't want to set it directly on my lap for long. Although I did have the power setting at high performance.

There is no way to turn on the GTX 1080 card and use the build in graphics, even in the bios.

You can do a Raid 1, 0 or AHCI for the M.2 cards.

The display is like a CTX1020 - I couldn't find any info on it at all.

Battery life is pretty weak, she was browsing the web after maybe 90 minutes it was at 1/2 battery life. (again high performance setting).

Chrome is a complete GPU slut when browsing pages with lots and lots of DOM objects.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

I registered (just like the other fellow) just to ask you some questions. Apparently there arent many that have reviewed this laptop. My interests here are purely performance/benchmarks on the raid 0 hard drive. Is there anyway you can run some benchmark software for the hard drive read/write speed? I want to compare it to the new macbook pro 2016 SSD's, which apparently are the fastest out there at the moment.

example:
    read speed: 2gps
    write speed: 2.1gps

thanks much

Depending on the settings you can get it to show some pretty crazy stats.

Or normal settings:

So the 2x SSDs on the Razer Blade Pro are fast.
    This is faster than 8x 1tb 850 evo pros in Raid 10 configuration on our work servers, with high end LSI 12/gbs raid cards.
    Last edited by Kicksome : 12-17-2016 at 07:36 PM Reason: having trouble with pictures

Hey there,

So your 4-ish months in now. Any more thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i7-920 / 12GB/ 280m / 1920x1200 / 80 gig X25-M / 5 boxing; works just fine