Close
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Default Pc build for 5 man multiboxing

Hey everyone, if this is in the wrong section I apologize. I've put a list of pc parts together and wondering if this could multiboxing a 5 man team. Just your general medium to high settings, doing world quest and lfr. If anyone could look over this and give me some feedback and suggestions. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/7cXmxY

On a dual-core system, you're probably going to have a bad day trying to 5-box regardless of settings.

8GB may work but others have had some issues running out of RAM. I play at 1920x1080 stacked and at medium settings on alts and moderately high settings on main I was occasionally getting "low resources" warnings from Windows with 12GB installed. Granted, I had a browser open to watch Netflix but most folks are going to have a browser running for item research, etc. I had no issues at 16GB.

The 950 will preclude you using anything higher than low settings unless you unload 3 of the 5 clients. I built a 950 system for a family member on a budget and it would barely run ONE copy of wow at moderately high settings back in WoD.

With that all said, I'd start with an i5 at 3.5GHz or better, 16GB RAM and a 1060 (the 960 is almost the same price). Or give us a budget and we can work on helping you compromise in the right places.

Also, see these threads where this has already been discussed with varying performance/budget targets in mind:

~$750 = http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/5...ardware-Advice
    ~$1000-1200 = http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/5...box-for-5-mans!
    ~$2300 = http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/5...-Advice-Needed

And don't forget: http://www.bing.com/search?&q=site%3...m+budget+build
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

This was my last gaming desktop and it ran 5 clients on medium settings pretty well.

Cyberteonpc Borg-Q Gaming Desktop - AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz Quad-Core, Zotak 750ti 8GB DDR3 Memory.

-----------

How would a amd fx 8350 4.0ghz 8 core processor paired up with a rx480 4gb with 16gb of 2133mhz ddr4 memory do for a 5 man team multiboxing on wow?
    Last edited by MiRai : 11-06-2016 at 08:29 AM Reason: Merged / Formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas12987 View Post
    This was my last gaming desktop and it ran 5 clients on medium settings pretty well.

Cyberteonpc Borg-Q Gaming Desktop - AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz Quad-Core, Zotak 750ti 8GB DDR3 Memory.
    When was this? Legion's minimum requirements have increased substantially.

Also, what software do you use and what resolution is your display?

How would a amd fx 8350 4.0ghz 8 core processor paired up with a rx480 4gb with 16gb of 2133mhz ddr4 memory do for a 5 man team multiboxing on wow?
    The game has increasingly high VRAM requirements in Legion, and some people are reporting that 3-4GB of VRAM is cutting it close. So, I'd recommend looking at the 8GB variant of the GPU instead.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Well that's understandable. So I put a little bit more into my budget. What about this setup? How well do you think it would do? Thank you for all your help

Intel i5-6500 3.2GHz CPU, 16gb 2133mhz DDR4, NVIDIA GTX1060 6GB
    Last edited by MiRai : 11-08-2016 at 09:19 AM Reason: Formatting

Well that's understandable. So I put a little bit more into my budget. What about this setup? How well do you think it would do? Thank you for all your help

Intel i5-6500 3.2GHz CPU, 16gb 2133mhz DDR4, NVIDIA GTX1060 6GB
    Here's what it ultimately comes down to... The more you can spend, the better off you're going to be. Of course, there is a point where you don't get as much performance for your money invested, but that's usually only true when it comes to high-end hardware. Yes, your latest hardware list is better than what you had before, and I imagine that it should work as long as you're willing to turn down settings quite a bit due to having to put 5 game clients on 4 cores, but, then again, I haven't had any experience with non-hyper-threaded CPUs for awhile now. Some people are running 10 game clients on 4 cores with hyper-threading, so I would assume you can do 5 game clients on 4 cores.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    Here's what it ultimately comes down to... The more you can spend, the better off you're going to be. Of course, there is a point where you don't get as much performance for your money invested, but that's usually only true when it comes to high-end hardware. Yes, your latest hardware list is better than what you had before, and I imagine that it should work as long as you're willing to turn down settings quite a bit due to having to put 5 game clients on 4 cores, but, then again, I haven't had any experience with non-hyper-threaded CPUs for awhile now. Some people are running 10 game clients on 4 cores with hyper-threading, so I would assume you can do 5 game clients on 4 cores.

Okay great, I'm not looking for ultra settings, the main will be medium high and the 4 other clients will be on the lowest setting. I'm not lookomg to go into hardcore raiding, it's just going to be questing, gold farming, and the occasional lfr.

Blog Entries

I found my first build specific for multiboxing was an i5 (4 core), the highest speed for that chip.
    The play was decent, in 5-man content.
    Taking my 5-man into an Alterac Valley absolutely sucked, as it was choppy.
    Most of the rest of the components were higher end.

When I switched to an i7 (4 core & 4 hyperthread logical cores), and everything else was literally the same.
    AV was smooth.
    My video card, at the time was 1GB and the next from the top card, whatever it was.
    Ram was enough.

My latest build, which is outdated now as I bought it seven years ago... and upgraded a few bits four years ago...
    i7 3930K, 32 GB Ram, GTX 670 4GB, SSD, etc...
    I can still smoothly play, everything I've tried, without having put a dime into the system in four years.
    Civilization, Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, all run smoothly on the highest settings, as 1-box games.

My ramblings basically, but...
    Spending a bit more is worthwhile, even if you stop boxing (the most demanding on PC power), your system will last a long time for "normal" activity.

Ram is cheap, and it's better to have more ram than needed, than to be short.
    A 4-core processor, with hyperthreading, the i7 line is FAR superior to the i5 line (4 core, no hyperthreading).
    A 2/4 TB video card is good; you need enough video memory to open your clients, if you don't have enough it doesn't matter that the rest of your system is the best thing possible, the instances of the game beyond whatever limit just won't render/open.

Choosing the 2nd or 3rd option, on the various Tom's Hardware lists is often the best bang for the buck.
    The x70 cards (570, 670, etc) aren't that far back of the x80 cards, and usually half the price if that.

Also, the CPU + Motherboard + Ram are usually linked.
    You need a motherboard with whatever socket, for the CPU.
    And it takes this kind of Ram.
    So these are bought as a unit/group, and getting the best option here is worth sacrificing other areas.
    Your motherboard might support 4 sticks of ram, and you may go with 2 sticks initially.

It is worth investing the most you can at that stage.

The other components are more of less plug and play.
    You could have a much cheaper video card initially, and in six months get a fancy/shiny new card and add it to the system.
    You can start with a basic platter drive, and later add an SSD for your gaming folder to smooth up play, and also add more drives if you need storage.
    If you add a powerful video card down the line, you can upgrade your power supply too.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    I found my first build specific for multiboxing was an i5 (4 core), the highest speed for that chip.
    The play was decent, in 5-man content.
    Taking my 5-man into an Alterac Valley absolutely sucked, as it was choppy.
    Most of the rest of the components were higher end.

When I switched to an i7 (4 core & 4 hyperthread logical cores), and everything else was literally the same.
    AV was smooth.
    My video card, at the time was 1GB and the next from the top card, whatever it was.
    Ram was enough.

My latest build, which is outdated now as I bought it seven years ago... and upgraded a few bits four years ago...
    i7 3930K, 32 GB Ram, GTX 670 4GB, SSD, etc...
    I can still smoothly play, everything I've tried, without having put a dime into the system in four years.
    Civilization, Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, all run smoothly on the highest settings, as 1-box games.

My ramblings basically, but...
    Spending a bit more is worthwhile, even if you stop boxing (the most demanding on PC power), your system will last a long time for "normal" activity.

Ram is cheap, and it's better to have more ram than needed, than to be short.
    A 4-core processor, with hyperthreading, the i7 line is FAR superior to the i5 line (4 core, no hyperthreading).
    A 2/4 TB video card is good; you need enough video memory to open your clients, if you don't have enough it doesn't matter that the rest of your system is the best thing possible, the instances of the game beyond whatever limit just won't render/open.

Choosing the 2nd or 3rd option, on the various Tom's Hardware lists is often the best bang for the buck.
    The x70 cards (570, 670, etc) aren't that far back of the x80 cards, and usually half the price if that.

Also, the CPU + Motherboard + Ram are usually linked.
    You need a motherboard with whatever socket, for the CPU.
    And it takes this kind of Ram.
    So these are bought as a unit/group, and getting the best option here is worth sacrificing other areas.
    Your motherboard might support 4 sticks of ram, and you may go with 2 sticks initially.

It is worth investing the most you can at that stage.

The other components are more of less plug and play.
    You could have a much cheaper video card initially, and in six months get a fancy/shiny new card and add it to the system.
    You can start with a basic platter drive, and later add an SSD for your gaming folder to smooth up play, and also add more drives if you need storage.
    If you add a powerful video card down the line, you can upgrade your power supply too.
    i appreciate your response, I ended up going with a laptop for travel reasons. I7-6700hq with a gtx 1070 8gb ddr5 and 16gb ddr4 2400mhz ram