Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 24

Default Prot paladins - assume the position

Our goal with tank design in Legion PvP has been for them to fill more of a "bruiser"-style role: tougher than a typical DPS, but not so much tougher that they're always the wrong target. Similarly, they should deal less overall damage than a pure DPS spec, but not so much less that you can ignore them.

That said, we've somewhat missed the mark in certain areas. Protection Paladins, for example, were able to put out a lot more healing than they probably should have. We've made a few adjustments already, and will continue to do so.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...page=5#post-89

I know this is talking about pvp however I dont think its just pvp fixes coming
    Last edited by Fat Tire : 12-08-2016 at 12:08 PM

I hope it doesn't hurt too much getting mine leveled up now and was excited!
    FFXIV - Aether - Sargatanas
    Twitch - https://twitch.tv/multidayz
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/Multidayz

If people who love the x5 tank setup (especially Protection Paladins) are totally honest here, don't you think that it's crazy how much self healing tanks can currently do - and even to each other!?? So much so that an actual healer class would be detrimental to the setup?

I can't speak of pvp, but yes I think it's crazy how things are at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreauk View Post
    If people who love the x5 tank setup (especially Protection Paladins) are totally honest here, don't you think that it's crazy how much self healing tanks can currently do - and even to each other!?? So much so that an actual healer class would be detrimental to the setup?

i dont think its right that you can clear highlvl/mythics content with just 5 tanks. To me it feels that something is wrong when it actually works to just bring 5 tanks. But i have to admit that i was thinking about making a 5pallytank team myself lol =D

I've not done instanced PVP this expansion since there is no point, but from what I gather from that thread is that tank specs are not really in a great spot when PVP stat templates are active, but play as if being higher level than every non-tank in WPVP. The latter part I can concur with. Don't know if it's the same in PVP, but atleast in PVE Prot Pally healing does seem fairly silly. I'm boosting a 104 Paladin with 4x 110 Frost DKs and I really do not need a healer, since Hand of The Protector seems to be working much better than the tooltip would have you believe, essentially letting me get a full health reset on a toon every 10 seconds.

I do not like the approach they've taken for tanks in PVP overall. They're essentially trying to make tanks work like DPS specs, losing the point of being a tank in the first place. Their role in PVP, in my humble opinion, should be to act as FCs, capture point guards and overall annoy the hell out of the opposing team with utility talents while being able to push in fairly aggressively without really worrying about dying as much as a DPS. In arena I always thought they should similarly try to outlast the opposition by forcing them to play defensive, constant aggression due to not having to worry about damage as much.

This was also in the thread and I found it interesting:

Would you look into getting PVP templates working in world PVP?

This is something we could theoretically do, we just disagree that it's the correct choice for world PvP. Inherent imbalances are part of what makes world PvP fun. Speaking personally, some of my best memories of world PvP have come from getting a bunch of friends together to take down 1 or 2 enemy players that significantly outgear us, or getting my revenge on someone that ganked me earlier by catching them off-guard in the middle of a world quest.

There's obviously going to be some gray area there - there's a point where it stops being world PvP and instead just becomes griefing, and not everyone is going to agree on exactly where that point is. Generally speaking, however, unfairness - both taking advantage of it, as well as overcoming it - is part of the appeal of world PvP.

I agree that part of the fun of WPVP is that it is random in nature. You might face any number of enemies in any kind of gear and any kind of skill level. Mobs, toys and engineering items, guards, etcetc all add to the mix to create an endless number of possible scenarios you might find yourself in. However, those elements are created naturally by players playing the game. When all attempts at balancing PVP in this expansion rely on those stat templates, simply choosing to leave them out of the equation seems like a piss poor attempt to add an element of chaos, when the chaotic elements people actually enjoy (ie: NOT just the gear difference and some class being overtuned without a template deciding everything) would present themselves regardless. I honestly do not see the point of leaving the only controlling element out of the equation to create the mess that is Legion WPVP. I can honestly say that never before in my play time has damage been so far out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Weepy View Post
    i dont think its right that you can clear highlvl/mythics content with just 5 tanks. To me it feels that something is wrong when it actually works to just bring 5 tanks. But i have to admit that i was thinking about making a 5pallytank team myself lol =D
    The problem really is not that it works. The problem is that it works better than bringing traditional setups. I was watching a dungeon event Blizzard held a few days ago. M+ 10 with a few extra additional mechanics to make it harder and without fail the team that ran 4x DPS 1x Tank was more effective in clearing the content. That to me means there is something fundamentally wrong.
    Last edited by Wubsie : 12-08-2016 at 01:57 PM

If 5xtanks didn't work I would have leveled something else that did work. What I don't like is having to constantly change.

I've spent too much time on my 5xprot paly team and I don't want to switch to have to go through all that again. While it doesn't take to long to reach the 840 ilevel range, it slows down quite a bit from there and getting to 870 range takes a lot of work.

They should have fixed that back in alpha before the expansion released. If they change now I'm just going to take a break and find something else to play for awhile. I've been enjoying the end game but the getting there, no not so fun to me.

The prot paly tier set bonuses will make our healing even better. So they will have to redo those as well.
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

PVE-related thoughts below; if you're PVP-focused, you can skip this post.

General question: why exactly is it wrong to clear a dungeon with 5x tanks? Who is being materially injured, so badly that they need a safe space and emotional counseling because we did something people said we couldn't do?

Quote Originally Posted by Andreauk View Post

If my 5x tanks have difficulty surviving (i.e. regularly losing one or two of them to WMD mechanics) on non-pure-melee bosses without a dedicated healer unless I significantly outgear the instance and/or use long-cooldown abilities, what detriment exactly is bringing a healer going to subject them to? Not sure if you've actually played with a healer, but I have with a friend and bringing him along completely trivialized Serpentrix which was driving me crazy trying to complete it as 5x paladins. That evidence would seem to contradict your assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by Weepy View Post
    Well, take that to its logical conclusion: if your assertion is that you shouldn't be able to do this with just 5 tanks, then you shouldn't be able to do it with 5x hunters, or 5x of any class, or any non-trinity team. See how this is a slippery slope? Where does it end? How much do people dislike being railroaded down a very narrow path that punishes you for deviating from the orthodoxy?

Ultimately, the question for me is, is the capability of 5-tank groups (paladins in particular) so completely egregiously broken that it breaks the game for everyone else and causes significant numbers of people to just give up in frustration? I have yet to see any evidence of that. Hell, I have yet to talk to ANYONE that plays a prot paladin that isn't happy with the character and enjoys logging in to play it, and will stay subscribed because it's fun to play.

And that is my ultimate question: if people are having fun playing the game as it is, why would you purposely make it less fun for some people because their playstyle offends your individual sense of universal equilibrium? Doesn't seem like a winner to me; sounds more like kow-towing to the tyranny of the squeaky wheel.
    Last edited by Ughmahedhurtz : 12-08-2016 at 05:16 PM
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

I think the reason for being noticed is not from running 5 tanks, its from people farming mythic+ with 1 tank 4 DPS. Several posts in the WoW forums about it.

This is only with the raiding guilds and their skilled and highly geared members. I don't think multiboxers will be able to run that set up.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    I think the reason for being noticed is not from running 5 tanks, its from people farming mythic+ with 1 tank 4 DPS. Several posts in the WoW forums about it.
    Fair point. That said, if you gear up your DPS enough, you can blow things up so fast that mechanics cease to be a major hindrance. I'm pretty sure you could almost run anything through 5-man mythics after gearing up in heroic/mythic raids.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)