Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 30

Default Return to Karazhan Dungeon

I was able to kill a few of the bosses last night:

I thought it would be easy and did not record anything (I was wrong!). I discovered that is not quite the case. I may stream it as I run the dungeon but I must say there is a lot of frustration trial and error and wiping when learning a new dungeon especially when you were not able to go from Normal > Heroic > Mythic. Of course, most people like to watch the frustration! This dungeon is definitely a step up from even Mythic+5 dungeons. I must say I'm somewhat impressed with how blizzard they handled this dungeon. The bosses are not that easy and the dungeon feels like a 5 man raid.

I was able to clear 3 bosses last night Wikket (Opera), Moroes and Attumen/Midnight. I one shot Wikket and Moroes. I was in there for about 2 hours. I had a bit more headache on Attumen before I beat it and gave it about 5 tries on Maiden before calling it quits for the night.

I was somewhat reading the dungeon journal and wowheads guide whenever I got stuck or wondered what just happened to my team when they were horribly horribly destroyed by something.

There is an instance bug with the dungeon where if you zoned out or were disconnected and logged in at the nearest graveyard your characters would be put into a reset instance with all bosses and trash back up. This happened after I zoned out for only a few seconds. To work around this, I zoned out, left the party and had all of my toons zone back in out of group and then once inside I invited all of my characters back to party. I did this on the toon that was not being kicked out of the instance.

I don't believe it should soft reset like most dungeons do where if you come back to it after an hour or two all the trash and bosses will be back up and you will have to clear to them again to get back to where you were. Blizzard stated that this is not a dungeon most groups will do in a single sitting. So I believe this is due to the instancing bug and not what is intended. It would certainly turn me off of the dungeon if I had to clear all the Trash and early bosses again to get back to where I was.

http://www.wowhead.com/guides/return...egy#opera-hall

I'll post some comments and strategy as it relates to multiboxers for each of the trash mobs and boss encounters as I beat/fight them (or maybe cannot beat them?!)

I also need to remember that I have the control undead ability so I can make a little army of helpful NPCs to help me clear trash faster and maybe even use them for some of the bosses.

Notable Trash:

The golden rule in this dungeon, at least after experiencing most of the lower half, is if it can be stunned or interrupted you should probably do that.

The trash (so far in the lower part) is not that bad and I think is even easier than most trash in the Mythic+ dungeons.

Ghostly Philanthropists - These things are evil and melt melee teams you either need stun them when they cast or run away from their "Pennies From Heaven" ability. Its lots of golden swirls on the ground. I was surprised at how fast this killed a team of 5 tanks (like 1.5 seconds fast)

Bosses:

Opera Event (Wikket) - 2 bosses ~ 160 million HP shared bosses with adds with a few million HP

This was a very easy boss fight. There are two bosses that share HP and have around 160 million life. They do abilities but I found they were not that dangerous. They summon Monkey adds you need to kill. They put purple swirls on the ground around the room that knock you in the air (they do not do that much damage). From time to time they will cast an ability (can't remember what it was called) that does AoE damage to everyone on the floor so you want to hit the purple swirls and get knocked into the air to dodge the mechanic on the ground. It was not that damaging for 5 tanks so I just ignored it and focused on killing adds and then continued damaging the bosses, while dodging the purple swirly things. The swirly knock up things I don't believe moved or if they did it was very slow.

Moroes - ~4x 16-18 million HP adds and a ~65 million HP Boss:

Medium difficulty fight that gets way easier after you kill adds. I lost nearly of my toons very quickly with the combination of all the damage from all of the adds and had to burn through all my brezes. There are 4 adds that are random each week chosen from a pool of 6. Each one of them has an ability that you will need to handle or at least CC the worst of the adds to make killing the easier ones first. I only used CC on one add and fought all of the rest all at once. Going into it, I really didn't know what they did just knew that I wanted to CC one of them and focus the adds down first. Around Moroes area you can pick up "Ghost Traps" and use them during the fight to CC the adds if your groups lacks a lot of soft CC. I only have 1 repentance but I only learned about the traps until after I did the fight. I probably will not use them and just brute force the bosses each week after CCing the worst add.

I believe my adds were Lady Keira Berrybuck, Lord Robin Daris, Baroness Dorothea Millstipe, and Lady Catriona Von'indi.

I CCd Catriona because she heals. After doing the fight that was a mistake I should have CCd Keira instead as she buffs Moroes with 100% damage and 75% attack speed which caused him to demolish my toons with most of the other adds active. It didnt matter if moroes healed during this part as I was focusing on the adds. I believe the majority of my deaths on the fight which caused me to use all of my battle rezes and 4 man the fight after two adds were dead were because of moroes demolishing my toons with the buff from Keira and his own Coat Check debuff.

Moroes did what he did in BC and will vanish and apply garrote to people. The garrotes do not go away and he will keep doing it which eventually the damage will get too high and will start to kill toons. He deals moderate damage. He does have a mean debuff called coat check that is dispellable (magic only). I can use AMS on the DK he is casting it on and go immune to the debuf. I can also throw out magic blessing to also make the toon he casts it on immune. I did not do this very well which is probably why it was such a sloppy kill. When this happened I would taunt trade to handle it.
    Last edited by Xeneres : 10-27-2016 at 04:21 PM

Attumen/Midnight - Horse had ~30 million HP - Attumen had ~65 million

This is the first dungeon fight in legion that I have had to switch back to holy paladin and play 1x holy 4x blood due to the required magic dispel. I guess whenever I greatly over gear it I can probably do it again as prot. if I had good timing of magic immunities and was able to transition midnight fast enough I may be able to do this fight as 5x tank specs.

The general overview of the fight is 2 phases: 1st a mounted phase where you attack Midnight to 50% then it switches to a on foot phase during this time Midnight regenerates health and you have 25 seconds to get as much damage into Attumen as possible while midnight heals to full and starts the mounted phase again. Attumen does not heal.

During the mounted phase Attumen casts a Party wide AoE Magic DoT called "Intangible Presence" this applys a debuff to everyone in the party. In order to dispel the "true" debuff you need to look at each of your toons to find the one with a ghostly shimmer ontop of their character model. He does this about once per 30 seconds. This is very annoying to do as a boxer while you handle the other mechanics and more so when your toons are stacked or some of your toons are on the other side of the boss. If you dispel the wrong toon one the entire party suffers 600k damage and you have to wait until you can dispel again as it will not clear the dot. This dot does 200k damage every 2 seconds until it is dispelled to the entire party. The boss and midnight will also deal moderate damage with a combined attack. Midnight also does an ability called mighty stomp that deals about 300k damage and interrupts spells for 3 seconds.

Once Attumen dismounts and starts the ground phase he and Midnight both do cleave ability's. Midnight runs around and performs a fairly large but not too dangerous cleave in a line called "Mezair" that does about 600k damage and is directed at attumens location. That is all midnight does during this phase. Attumen does a dangerous cleave combo. the first attack is called "Mortal Strike" that lowers the hp of anyone affected by it by 50% hp. The second is called "Shared Suffering" this does about 5 million damage to the entire group directed at the tank. You cannot dodge both attacks of these attacks and need to soak shared suffering with at least 4 toons since the tank has 50% lower life. For me I just had my DKs soak it and kept my paladin slightly at range. You want to make sure only one toon gets hit by "Mortal Strike" or you wont have the HP to soak shared suffering. What makes this phase so dangerous is getting hit by the combo from attumen and then having midnight hit you with a cleave while you are stacked from Midnight while you just soaked the

During the 2nd and further mounted phases the boss also gains the ability "Spectral Charge" which summons an annoying line of spectral horses that are basically a one shot at 1.8-2.1 million damage if you hit them. Its similar to Cordana but requires faster movement. This is very annoying to also have to deal with also dispeling the correct toon with the AoE dot and also dodging the horse walls. I found the best thing to do was to dodge one horse wall and immediately position your toons behind the one that just passed you. They are very tight on their overlap and I did not find a "safe" spot to stand as it does it all around the room and into the stables area. You want to stay in the bosses circular room as the outer parts of the rooms can trap you and make you eat a horse wall.

Once Attumen dies midnight will enrage gaining 100% more damage but also taking 100% more damage and will only use the stomp to interrupt casting until dead.

Maiden of Virtue - ~130 million HP.

This is not a very complicated fight but it is quite difficult for multiboxers especially melee multiboxers and we are also under fairly tight dps checks to finish the fight before we run out of room and to beat her damage checks on the shield. The fight is also unforgiving if you miss an interrupt.

She does an ability called Holy Bolt which does 300k damage and then chain jumps to another target in 6 yards dealing increased damage. It only hits a target once but if you are stacked the toon at the end of the chain will take massive damage. Because of this you need to spread your melee toons out some. She also casts Holy Shock at the tank every 15 seconds that must be interrupted. If it is not interrupted the tank will take 50% increased holy damage and the debuff lasts until the fight is over. The holy shock debuff combined with a bad chain of holy bolt is responsible for the majority of my toon deaths about 60-70% into the fight. I think I can survive a few jumps of the holy bolt chain but we cannot miss any interrupts or it will result in a death for whoever has the increased holy damage taken debuff.

She does an ability called Sacred Ground that is targeted on a a non-tank player and after 4 seconds a patch of light will form from their location and slowly grow to a 20 yard radius. You want to keep this near the wall or keep placing them near each other so you have more room to work with. These light patches last 2.5 minutes before they expire. Standing in these light patches give you a stacking DoT that is used to break free of Mass Repentance. You want to either stand on the edge of the light patch that is growing or to run in and quickly get get the DoT to break repentance. She will cast 2 of these light patches between her combo, detailed below. Sacred Ground dot does about 300k damage every 2 seconds for 16 seconds so is a very damaging ability even at just one stack.

She does a combo with Mass Repentance > Holy Bulwark and Holy Wrath. These require you to get a stack of the sacred ground dot on all toons and then once it ticks(every 2 seconds) it will break you out of Mass Repentance stun. She will then casts holy bulwark to put up an absorb shield for about 4.7 million damage and you have 10 seconds to break this shield and interrupt her. Failing to do so will make everyone in the group take 100% more damage for the rest of the fight, which stacks.

I had a few 40-50% wipes on the boss. I only gave it maybe 5 attempts. I'm still getting down the timing. I think once I figure out the timing then it shouldn't be so bad. The room is bigger than you think so I don't think I'll run out of space. I don't think I was moving the boss enough and was standing too close to the growing sacred ground because the boss casts a good bit its difficult to move her and I had to stand in the sacred ground on a few attempts to dps through her shield and interrupt holy wrath. I also didn't know missing the interrupts gave me a damage debuff until my later attempts.

The wowhead guide says to stagger your cool downs for each bulwark phase to ensure you have the damage to break the shield and interrupt the cast. I didn't have trouble breaking it with 5 tanks (provided I didn't have to DPS in sacred ground!).

Hopefully tonight I'll kill this Boss and Curator and then start to work on the upper bosses which drop 860 loot vs the 855 on the lower half. So far none of the loot that dropped has been an upgrade .
    Last edited by Xeneres : 10-27-2016 at 04:30 PM

Update:

I'm 6/9 Karazhan.

Curator took me a few attempts to figure out but it wasn't that bad. What I learned on him was to turn off IWT and enable follow strobing. The trick to that boss was to stay stacked but to always be moving so the puddles of arcane crap that the boss casts at your location didn't gib your toon. They do stupid damage if you stand in them and can kill you in 2-3 seconds and they also tick very fast. The adds will teleport to you when they do focus them down. The faster they die the easier the fight is. It took me 2 rounds of of the boss and his 100% damage taken debuff for me to kill him. Hes got ~160 million life. He regens his mana (takes 100% extra damage for 20 seconds) after about a minute.

Shade of Medivh is probably the easiest boss in this dungeon and I was able to 1 shot it. he has around 120 or 130 million life. I moved during flamewreath... I tested it by using AMS and I was able to survive its damage. I accidentally moved the 2nd time it was casted and didnt have cds up so i lost a few toons. I ended up doing the last 24 million. The fight is very easy. You want to interrupt the arcane cast and sometimes the frost cast. The rest I let go off. He will iceblock a toon but he casts a fire ability that breaks out the iceblock

I gave ~15 attempts on the Mana Devourer before I killed it. This fight is a pretty big DPS check I found I could only last about 2.5-3 minutes max before it would hit 100% mana and use its one shot. This fight is tricky because it puts an AoE on the ground you want to get out of and you must soak arcane orbs coming towards the boss. If you do it poorly the boss will reach 100% mana too quickly and will one shot you before you are able to kill it. You do get a damage buff from these orbs but they also give you a dot. I think playing 5x paladins would be easy for this as you can rotate bubble and magic bubble and use run divine steed and get way more orbs than a player without an immunity would be able too. I think I barely had the DPS to kill this boss. I tried to maximize my damage by moving as little as possible on my DKs. Sometimes that meant standing in the arcane AoE that is thrown out during the fight. It does about 1 million damage which hurts but its not very fatal unless you are low.

I have not yet killed Maiden, Viz'aduum or Nightbane. I'll have to practice the timer for Nightbane so I probably wont be able to get to him for a few weeks. I kinda am stuck at the last bosses area and cant go back down now. I have a ticket in with blizzard but people in my guiild are saying you cant go back down.

I gave maiden maybe 5 attempts and then was sleepy so I went to bed. I was not doing all of the mechanics properly.

Viz'aduum I've given 23 attempts on Viz'aduum. Its basically a perfect storm of awful for multiboxers. He is Serpentrix 2.0 and dare I say more awful! I got to its 3rd phase a few times but was unable to reliably get past phase 1. The lowest I've gotten him too was 19%. He would have died if I can just get better at P1 and survive the first part of P3. I was pre-potting old war potions and using them when I got to p2 to get through the phases as fast as possible. Every 3 attempts I could use my drums which helped make p1 faster. I found that I really do not need these damage potions. That fight is so chaotic that I found myself getting frustrated when I'd spend 2-3k a pull only to die to something stupid. So for my last 10 or so attempts I just used my flask and tried to concentrate on mechanics. It's very easy to tunnel on this boss and get knocked off the ship trying to handle the other mechanics or to forget to interrupt and the bosses fire dot stacks too high on whoever is tanking.

This boses run backs are pretty demoralizing. It takes almost 3 minutes to run back from a wipe on the last boss. Its not very much fun. I'm getting sloppy/sleepy/frustrated so decided to call it quits for the night.

I still have a few mythic+ dungeons to this week. I may just do enough to secure my +4 or +5 weekly chest and just go back to Kara.

I did get one part of the set from Shade of Mediv on one of my DKs (the neck). There is a neck and a cloak that give you 10% damage and healing for 2 minutes after you defeat a dungeon boss. I'm going to make it my goal to use my bonus rolls on these two bosses and get this set on all of my toons. I think it will be very powerful and may be the edge I need to push into mythic 7 and beyond (and hopefully beat the timer!).

I admire your determination on beating mythics and Khaz. I still have not leveled my DKs. If it makes anything easier than using 5 prot pals, I'm sure that will be my main team at some point. Learning the encounters on paladins has been rewarding, but there have been a few wipes that might have been wins with a few BRZ!

Thanks for the posts! Keep up the great work! We appreciate it very much!
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

Very nice - congrats! Have you tried the Beautiful Beast encounter in the Opera? I imagine that could be tricky as a boxer?
    Classic - Pyrewood Village, Horde, EU

Congrats on all the kills!
    I really appreciate having you figuring out the mechanics and writing a lot of text here explaining things and giving tips. It will really help when I (and others) start adventuring into Karazhan. Keep it up!

It will probably be a while before I start killing bosses there. I'm not even attuned yet on all characters because I did the attunement quests together with my girlfriend, and then we went in there. We killed first boss (westfall story). I feel like the last phase, where both the human and murloc has to be fought and tanked at the same time would have been much harder for me to handle alone. This time I just had her tank the human far away from me, and I killed the murloc first. Despite that the encounter was hard and we wiped a few times. The sheer difference in gear requirement is very noticeable, and I feel some better gear would be very useful. Also some encounters just seem to plain out suck for melee boxers, like maiden for example with the need to be spread out all the time, which we had a few tries at and died almost instantly because of it.

Since I'm prioritizing my time to get as much loot for the time spent, I might just hold off Kara for a while. I still feel like I have not had the time to reach the potential of the mythic+ I can complete with my current gear. I also have a ton of ISBoxer configurations which I have to do and just not have had the time for yet, and that is a slow process for me because I suck at it... :P

The US had the wikket opera boss this week. It was very easy to do, I just cleaved them down and largely ignored mechanics. Probably the 2nd easiest boss in there after shade.

Hello

Went into Karazhan here are my results:

Opera boss: in EU looks like we got Beautiful Beast this week, was pretty easy fight with some AoE that CC you, some fire on the ground and lots of stuff to interrupt, poped all my cds hoping to cleave them down but ... once they all were 10% and i killed one .. rest of bosses gained full health.. So in short u gotta nuke one by one.

Attumen the Huntsman: took me few tries, I did not switch any of my paladin spec to holy I did it as x5 prot, got Potion of the Old War for this one for more burst damage, saved my CDs and Drums once he jumps from horse I used all and burst as much I could, almost got him in 1 try, Divine Shield helped with Spectral Charge at the end where I had no place to run, one of easiest fights I would say.

Moroes: nuked Keria as first and just cleave AoE down the rest, all of them died before even my CD's has ended, then it was just tank n spank, easier than Opera fight.

The Curator: had some wipes at start, I decided to save my CD's for Evocation phase and just keep moving all the fight, got him on his 3rd Evocation phase, at start of it, he was about 5% when it start to cast.

Shade of Medivh: heeeere is where fun starts for me so I read
    Shade of Medivh is probably the easiest boss in this dungeon and I was able to 1 shot it.
    I didnt even go read boss abilities and just go try to kill him .. it was easy before he cast Ceaseless Winter and I didnt know I gotta move to remove stacks, I did wipe few times on Flame Wreath aswell .. once my Divine Shield didnt go off GCD as I was smashing my rotation and pressed it a bit too late, I would say it took me over 10+ tires, ended up killing him with 3 toons alive.

Edit: Forgot to say I had 1% wipe on this boss before I kill it

Tips: use Ardent Defender for Flame Wreath then heal to full with Hand of the Protector, I did not test Blessing of Spellwarding for it, I guess it should work as its magic damage, on Winter phase make sure to interrupt frost cast, once he freeze your toon it will start taking lot of dmg because you cannot move it around to remove stacks.

Im probably gonna give few tries on Mana Devourer before I stop for today. Will continue tomorrow as I got some other things to do and its been few hours in Kara already.