Close
Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Default [WoW] How to have different game settings by character?

Hi All-

Recent return to WoW here, have been running two accounts (druid/paladin) for fun while leveling, questing, etc. Nothing too extreme, but working well. I would like to add a third account to do some auction house work on a second screen while I play normally on the first two accounts.

Now, this third auction house character - when it is running, I would like it to have different video and sound settings than the first two accounts. Would like the third character to have a smaller window, much lower video settings, and different audio settings.

I remember back in the day you could just make a second copy of your WoW install directory if you wanted to do this and launch directly from wow.exe. Tried this, but I can't get WoW to run from the second directory - getting big errors when trying to open the game. I'm thinking maybe they changed it so you have to launch from the Battle.net app?

Also, the game doesn't seem to remember video/audio settings by character - if I change any settings on one character, those settings are remembered the next time I log in on any other character.

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

I'm thinking maybe they changed it so you have to launch from the Battle.net app?
    Definitely not. People still launch WoW directly, and I am pretty sure some people still use multiple WoW folders.

Also, the game doesn't seem to remember video/audio settings by character - if I change any settings on one character, those settings are remembered the next time I log in on any other character.
    These are still kept in Config.WTF under the WoW\WTF folder. WoW uses the same Config.WTF file for all of your characters.

ISBoxer automatically keeps separate settings per-Character for you, so a simple answer is "use SBoxer" ... But assuming that's not the answer you wanted, one workaround some people use is to manually (or with a .bat file, etc) copy Config.WTF files when launching a new instance of WoW. Bear in mind, of course, when each game window saves its settings it is going to save those settings in Config.WTF, so usually with this method you keep a permanent copy of the settings you want as another filename, and then copy it TO config.wtf.
    Lax
    Author of ISBoxer
    Video: ISBoxer Quick Start

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Definitely not. People still launch WoW directly, and I am pretty sure some people still use multiple WoW folders.

These are still kept in Config.WTF under the WoW\WTF folder. WoW uses the same Config.WTF file for all of your characters.

ISBoxer automatically keeps separate settings per-Character for you, so a simple answer is "use SBoxer" ... But assuming that's not the answer you wanted, one workaround some people use is to manually (or with a .bat file, etc) copy Config.WTF files when launching a new instance of WoW. Bear in mind, of course, when each game window saves its settings it is going to save those settings in Config.WTF, so usually with this method you keep a permanent copy of the settings you want as another filename, and then copy it TO config.wtf.
    I didn't know that ISBoxer had that feature! Sounds like by far the best solution, so it is high time I finally do the research on how to set it up and use it. Way better than having to manage separate installs. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Just look at files and change the name of the config file for that toon if you want to branch it off.