Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Default The Arcway - Nal'tira (Spider boss)

I've killed this boss one time. That was after a ridiculous amount of wipes. I've decided to not do this dungeon again until I have a different approach on how to beat this boss, since I do not want to repeat that wipe-fest again. The kill was not done after some revelation on how to beat the mechanics, rather I was just lucky enough to not get decimated while still failing the mechanics pretty hard.
    So this is one of the bosses i still technically have not mastered.

My biggest issue is that I have real trouble separating the characters which get tangled together. So when that happens either I'm too slow and the 2 characters die, or separating them steals too much of my focus, and I fail on some other mechanic (most often her Blink strikes).
    Also all the troublesome mechanics in this fight are magic damage, so I understand that a class which can handle magic damage better will be able to handle this easier.

One other thing is that my single target damage is low, and the tangled webs seems to start happening a while into the fight. Meaning if I had higher dps, I could kill the boss and only having to deal with max 3 tangles. If that was the case, I could simply rotate 1 of my 3 heavy cooldowns for the tangles, and then be able to cheeze them more or less. Now I'm replacing defensive trinkets for dps, and I'm finally gaining artifact traits which provide a dps boost. So I will be there soon.

However, I would still like to be able and actually handle the mechanics in a proper way. You who can handle this fight without in some way cheezing the tangle mechanic, how do you do it? This is what I do as soon 2 chars get tangled:

1) Switch client to T1. Start running in a fine looking direction. (toggle the auto run)
    2) Switch T2 and start running in the opposite direction
    3) Keep that window focused, and press F to make the remaining 3 of my team follow T2, and then just try and survive and avoid crap until web is broken
    4) Start attacking boss again (most importantly SotR to get mitigation up again). T1 will start running back because of IWT.

Because of my auto IWT on all abilities I cannot attack the boss during this time, because that will make T1 run back before web is broken. 1 small thing I could do to improve is is to unbind Auto IWT for just SotR, so I can keep up some mitigation while still performing the above.
    Also one other problem is that I have trouble to instantly connect the names to which hotkeys I need to press to switch to them. This often leads to me swapping to wrong clients, and overall getting overwhelmed and making me miss other vital things as healing and all other mechanics. (I could probably just learn to do this better, but my general approach is to handle everything from my main window, so I'm not used to switching quickly)

Anyone else have some tactics to share, or tips for what I need to change/improve to handle this better?

I've done this dungeon on +3 difficulty.

My way to beat the spider boss is to swap my focus to one of the two toons with web/link and to use that toons mobility ability to run away ASAP while watching for the blink strike. My paladin has a stupid easy time of breaking the web link because it actually has a good mobility ability. My dks are much slower but I pop wraith walk and try to break it as fast as I can.

I make sure my toons are not swarming with IWT so that they can strafe or more forward or backwards to dodge the blink strike and clouds of crap on the ground. I'm always watching for this while I'm running away to break the link. Sometimes, I'll also move my slaves the opposite direction as the one who I'm manually moving away, so I break the chains faster since 2 people moving opposite directions will break the chains faster than one.

The key I have found (besides breaking the chains ASAP) is to also kill those spider adds ASAP. If you don't they will root/stun your toons and possibly trap you in a blink strike or cloud of bad.

I typically can do this fight within 1-2 attempts. What sucks is when she chooses the same toons over and over again for link and they are out of mobility CDs (not that DKs have much of that in the 1st place!).

Quote Originally Posted by Xeneres View Post
    I've done this dungeon on +3 difficulty.

My way to beat the spider boss is to swap my focus to one of the two toons with web/link and to use that toons mobility ability to run away ASAP while watching for the blink strike. My paladin has a stupid easy time of breaking the web link because it actually has a good mobility ability. My dks are much slower but I pop wraith walk and try to break it as fast as I can.

I make sure my toons are not swarming with IWT so that they can strafe or more forward or backwards to dodge the blink strike and clouds of crap on the ground. I'm always watching for this while I'm running away to break the link. Sometimes, I'll also move my slaves the opposite direction as the one who I'm manually moving away, so I break the chains faster since 2 people moving opposite directions will break the chains faster than one.

The key I have found (besides breaking the chains ASAP) is to also kill those spider adds ASAP. If you don't they will root/stun your toons and possibly trap you in a blink strike or cloud of bad.

I typically can do this fight within 1-2 attempts. What sucks is when she chooses the same toons over and over again for link and they are out of mobility CDs (not that DKs have much of that in the 1st place!).
    I'm guessing you are handling a bunch of tangles doing it on +3. I may have to do something about my IWT to handle this fight. Yeah those spider adds are troublesome, and I try to kill them ASAP. I will also have to practice swapping to a specific character quickly and without loosing performance on everything else. I guess most of the problems I have in this fight is because of my lack of experience as a boxer

i just do a star spread and DR.

try to get your toons positioned properly on the center of the room, with everyone aligned behind you, save 2 shield charges and pop them along with eye of tyr. that 25% damage reduction on damage dealt stacks nicely with your Damage received reduction. and just do a star spread with charge. you will get rid of the tangle in 2 - 3 seconds tops, faster than most good groups will, and you will take a ton less damage.

star spread is already created on the basic bindings, if you cant find it, make a key that will send:

"move up" to toon 1
    "move down" to toon 2
    "move left" to toon 3
    "move right" to toon 4

you can also make the same hotkey send the key you have bound to divine steed. (make sure its set to keep keys pressed while the hotkey is pressed)

this way the only combination that will give you problems will be if the backpedaling toon and one of the strafing ones gets the tangle. and the problem is easily solved by just spreading further.

the only problem will be if you have a live spider and it stuns, but you get a good 5 seconds between the spider spawn and her tangle phase. you should be able to save 3 or 4 avengers shields to one shoot the spider. if you get a live one, HoF it or divine it.

i hated this boss at first, but nowdays its a REALLY easy fight, so far up to m+5 shes been a one shoot. i still prepot war, do drums and wait until i have 3 shield charges before pulling. the fight can quickly get out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by CMKCot View Post
    i just do a star spread and DR.

try to get your toons positioned properly on the center of the room, with everyone aligned behind you, save 2 shield charges and pop them along with eye of tyr. that 25% damage reduction on damage dealt stacks nicely with your Damage received reduction. and just do a star spread with charge. you will get rid of the tangle in 2 - 3 seconds tops, faster than most good groups will, and you will take a ton less damage.

star spread is already created on the basic bindings, if you cant find it, make a key that will send:

"move up" to toon 1
    "move down" to toon 2
    "move left" to toon 3
    "move right" to toon 4

you can also make the same hotkey send the key you have bound to divine steed. (make sure its set to keep keys pressed while the hotkey is pressed)

this way the only combination that will give you problems will be if the backpedaling toon and one of the strafing ones gets the tangle. and the problem is easily solved by just spreading further.

the only problem will be if you have a live spider and it stuns, but you get a good 5 seconds between the spider spawn and her tangle phase. you should be able to save 3 or 4 avengers shields to one shoot the spider. if you get a live one, HoF it or divine it.

i hated this boss at first, but nowdays its a REALLY easy fight, so far up to m+5 shes been a one shoot. i still prepot war, do drums and wait until i have 3 shield charges before pulling. the fight can quickly get out of control.
    Thanks for the tips!. I have lately thought about doing this, I never tried it my last session which was long ago. Glad to know it can work, because it's definitely one of the simpler things to execute. I'll see if I will bind my steed to the spread, or maybe just use steed temporary on my favorite hotkey. Also nice to know that SotR and Tyrs stack in a good way!

When I did it on regular mythic I ignored the link and just continued DPS. I'll have to get a keybind setup before I try it on mythic+