Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: 5 Pallies

Default 5 Pallies

Howdy,

Just coming back for Legion, I skipped out on panda and WOD so getting my bearings.

I see some people having some success with 5 paladins, and deciding to give it a go.

I recall a ways back people were playing 5 ret... for any of you playing with this spec, curious to see if you're doing trinity, all prot, all ret, etc. Just setting up my people now, trying to decide between trying 5 prot (love avenger's shield =D) and just playing it straight with 3 ret and a holy.

Appreciate any comments or advice,

Thanks.
    Currently running 10 miners in Eve Online.

I think 5 Prots will be more forgiving - I rolled 5 last night while my main team - Holy Priest and 4 BM Hunters gather some rested xp. I don't expect to have the success that some of the others have had on here, but I know it will be a lot of fun!

The class balance goes live today, might play around a bit before you invest too much in your artifact.

Prots were nerfed a couple days ago, but Rets get a big buff.

Templar’s Verdict damage increased by 10%.
    Divine Storm damage increased by 20%.
    Crusader Strike (Retribution) damage increased by 13%.
    Blade of Justice damage increased by 13%.
    Judgment (Retribution) damage increased by 13%.
    Zeal (Talent) damage increased by 13%.
    Blade of Wrath (Talent) damage increased by 13%.
    That seems a really big buff.

Prot paladins are fine, and are probably one of the stronger teams you can choose.

A setup of 4 dk and 1 pala is more favorable in most encounters. DK are superior in withstanding magic damage, and the battleresses can make the difference between managing a hard boss or not.

I haven't played DK myself in a while, but if they still have those mass grips (dragging all mobs to a single spot) it should be very helpful to handling large packs of mobs (it should also work as a wide aoe interrupt if you yank a mob, which paladins lack). That could be really essential if you want to be doing timed mythic+ runs, and have to fight a lot of mobs at the same time just because of the speed limit.

EDIT: Paladins do have the tier 3 talent, where we can choose Blinding Light. That can work as an AoE interrupt, and even give some time for your team to recover if a pack is overwhelming. Seeing especially for timed runs where you don't have time for repentance CC, this talent could be worth sacrificing at least a couple of repentance.
    Last edited by davidmage : 09-27-2016 at 04:34 AM

Thanks for the comments folks. Can you find the prot nerfs listed out? My google fu is not coming through.

In the context of paladins, sounds like a couple folks in favor of all prot. Definitely seems like a strong toolkit.

Even with the nerf..prot seems very powerful. Also.. they feel great and look amazing boxed ( blessed hammer x5 is insane looking! )
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonheart View Post
    Even with the nerf..prot seems very powerful. Also.. they feel great and look amazing boxed ( blessed hammer x5 is insane looking! )
    Yes 5 prot pally do have potential. The nerf on the self healing, and (coming or has it been made?) dps nerf to tanks in general, is no game changer. My team can theoretically do the same thing they could do before, I just need to stand in less shit and execute things better. Also we are far from the kind of ILvl we will reach after some time with lucky titanforged items (which easily can be traded from a char already geared in a slot, to one who is not).

5 paladins do look awesome. It was the only reason I decided on paladins, I had no plan behind performance. But I had not planned to even run x5 of them, but it works so why not.

One thing I am finding interesting is I am failing in finding a lot of theorycrafting around abilities (even from a single boxed perspective).

For example, first tier. It sounds to me like consecrated hammer (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=203785/consecrated-hammer) is a potentially better talent, especially from a boxing perspective. According to icy veins, double dips on the standing in consecration bonuses. If thats true, decent bump to your AOE, defense through SOTR and healing through LOTP.

Everything I can find says take blessed hammer, but I cant find a good comparison. Of course the 15% damage debuff sounds nice, but the hammers fly out pretty wide pretty quick. Whats the dps comparison? Whats the comparison of survability from the improved SOTR / LOTP vs the debuff, etc etc.

Anyways, will try to do some comparisons on my own but doesn't seem like a lot of good explanations out there at the moment.

Hmm some nice thoughts about the tier 1 talent. I have always played with Holy Shield, as an attempt to boost defence and especially magic defence for my whole team. However that black chance feels spiky, and may not always be as helpful at a steady heal that one always can rely on.
    So if the survival aspects is not a great loss, the increased damage and AoE is very welcome.

With this and my previously missed talent Blinding Light, I have some new things to try for handling large packs of enemies in a more effective manner.
    I will come back with results of how these 2 talents work out for my team.

Awesome, will be good to hear how you fare.