Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: 5 Pallies

I think that holy shield is the superior talent for slaves and overall mitigation. Its amazing for DoTs, trash and constant AoE. It is RNG in nature but I have a ~35% chance on any attack for it to be reduced by block which I think is pretty good. The 10% block chance cant hurt either.

I also just unlocked bulwark of order golden trait and with the extra chance at grand crusader and extra single target damage by avengers shield the first avenger talent I can build shields of 300-500k quite rapidly. I can have strings of good rng where it resets a lot which builds me a little 10-25% hp absorb shield cushion that is fairly easy to maintain and refresh while fighting a boss.

Blessed hammer looks cool and adds some AoE but I think its only the best on that one toon who is taking melee hits from a boss or trash. The other toons will not get any benefit aside from the AoE damage.

I think I'm also going to experiment with Consecrated hammer and see how it plays with bulwark of order and first avenger. Maybe it will be better than holy shield? If it works how I'm guessing it does then each hammer of righteousness it is a spamable 22.5% chance to reset avenger shield each time its used. It also gives us the benefit of consecration without having to be in it, which happens quite a bit if you have to run out of of something or handle a mechanic.

I guess all 3 of the first talents do lose some effect by not actively tanking some more than others.

At least holy shield gives you that +10% block and consecrated hammer gives you the effect of consecration for some of your core abilities and easy pulsing AoE damage without having to game blessed hammer to hit the maximum number of targets. I wouldn't rule out that 20% more powerful light/hand of the protector while running around dodging mechanics. That can be ~7% more total HP healed assuming your light of the protector healed a very low hp target for the full ~30%.

7% HP on a nearly dead DK with hp increasing abilities (vampiric blood) and bone shield can be an extra 200-300k heal or nearly two flash of lights worth of extra healing.

I don't use the taunt at all and find that aggro just swaps around automatically.. so for me blessed hammer works ok.

So, healing. In particular, hand of the protector. How are you guys using it?

Up until this point (i am at like 105 and have done the first 5 normal dungeons), I have it macroed in with my dps rotation. So each pally casts it on himself on cooldown essentially. Obviously can be wasteful if not needed.

I am contemplating putting it on a round robin since its off the GCD and then just click healing whoever needs it. More work, but more likely for the heals to go where they need to go.

Curious how others are doing it.
    Currently running 10 miners in Eve Online.

On my pallys I had it bound twice.. one with @self and then one with /assist main.. so if they needed a small heal I'd use it individually, and if I needed a big oh shit they'd all heal one.

Hey..
    So I ended up making a mix team based off of what I have read/videos watched of these Prot and hunter boxing champions here. "David/Xeneress"

My team is currently a mix of 2x Prot Paladins and 3x Blood DK's
    I have two macros that I spam for my dps rotation.

One of the macro is for Trash, it uses hand of the protector on self, while the other macro will use it on [@targettarget] <-- Who ever has threat. Because I find myself driving from different tanks depending upon what I want to do. Or if I just want a diff bit of scenery.

But having the Paladin Hammer stun as well as DK strangulate all on the same round robin button/interrupts/grips/arcane torrents makes the majority of all trash packs a breeze.

Currently I am only level 103. So once I get to max level I am sure they will get better tested.

Only trash pack that makes me cringe is that big Dragon trash pack in HoV just before the first boss..
    It gave me some issues until i figured out what i was doing wrong.

Jumping on this thread potentially late, I am testing the waters with 5 prot paladins and it seems like others are having decent success. Their damage overall feels kind of low, or is it actually decently high?
    Granted the ones I am using are lvl 20 so it's way out of line for thinking but I'm just imagining at max lvl with dungeons the kill speed is lower than ideal.
    Is it possible to spec some of them into Ret, or it's really the heals that save the day?
    FFXIV - Aether - Sargatanas
    Twitch - https://twitch.tv/multidayz
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/Multidayz

Quote Originally Posted by Ellay View Post
    Jumping on this thread potentially late, I am testing the waters with 5 prot paladins and it seems like others are having decent success. Their damage overall feels kind of low, or is it actually decently high?
    Granted the ones I am using are lvl 20 so it's way out of line for thinking but I'm just imagining at max lvl with dungeons the kill speed is lower than ideal.
    Is it possible to spec some of them into Ret, or it's really the heals that save the day?
    According to Xeneres DK:s are superior DPS compared to paladins, especially for AOE (which is a big deal in mythic+). So if you are looking for higher dps (and probably a stronger group in general) having some DK:s is the way to go. 4 DKs and 1 paladin seems to be a strong group. The paladins role is supporting the dk:s as prot with necessary healing. DK:s can handle all kinds of incoming magic AoE damage nicely, and have battleress which can often save the day.

I also feel that the dps of prot paladin is kind of low. It's probably fine for mythic level 5 or so. I did a level 5 maw of souls with some minutes to spare on the timer. However I'm probably playing it far from optimal with my rotations, and how I handle mechanics on trash/bosses etc. I can see it being possible with level 7ish or so if you have nice gear and use some of them expensive pots, and can play your team close to optimal in all situations.

Watching the videos I see the DK's have quite a bit of self healing, but what is the Prot Paladin doing for healing? His main 50% heal seems like it only works on self.
    For the mythic level 5, isn't that still pretty good? Or what is the average non boxed player ramped up to now in difficulty?
    FFXIV - Aether - Sargatanas
    Twitch - https://twitch.tv/multidayz
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/Multidayz

Quote Originally Posted by Ellay View Post
    Watching the videos I see the DK's have quite a bit of self healing, but what is the Prot Paladin doing for healing? His main 50% heal seems like it only works on self.
    For the mythic level 5, isn't that still pretty good? Or what is the average non boxed player ramped up to now in difficulty?
    The Big paladin heal can be improved with the lvl 75 talent http://www.wowhead.com/spell=213652/...-the-protector
    The heal can be cast on any player, and the cooldown on it is also reduced!
    And together with the lvl 100 talent http://www.wowhead.com/spell=204074/righteous-protector the remaining cooldown can be reduced/removed further whenever we need. With this Protection paladin becomes a ridiculous healing machine.
    Also having at least 1 paladin which can apply this on the boss also helps http://www.wowhead.com/spell=183778/judgment-of-light

Yeah level 5 is fine, and I could probably push it a bit further if I really wanted. I don't know really about what the average non boxer is atm. But at level 7 with noticeable raw increase, and 2 affixes with a tight timer, things are getting serious. I'm top m+ players in my casual non boxing guild.

Anyway if you only care about results, I believe that DK:s are stronger in most aspects. However I care more about what's fun. I enjoy playing my paladins. Just like my x5 hunter team, they are not going to survive in high m+ or even all boss encounters. But I have been able to do what I want with them so far, and enjoyed it. If one only cares about the highest mythic + or even raids, you probably just want to drop boxing and do it single anyway

I copied Xeneres after my 5x Druids were just not cutting it at all. So my Pally, DK group can at least do Mythic+ content, and maybe even get 2 chests on some.

So I'm rolling with 1x pally, 4x DKs. They are a lot of fun, but, it's just so much easier having 5x of one class. And the Prot Pally is just insane on heals. I can see how the 5x Pallies would be a lot of fun. I'm really tempted to go for that next.

Although you have to love DKs for the 4x death grips in PvP, and the DKs just have more hitpoints and pretty good self heals. But they are a bit slow on their feet.

Now I'm sort of going back to the druids to gear them up - right now they are at ilevel 820 and doing better. The problem with druid tanks is they really don't have any self "heals", just mitigation. Their artifact talents really "bite" as well - for multiboxing at least. Pallies get "avenger shield gives you a damage shields etc....". Druid tanks get nothing like that at all - no healing help to speak of. Unless you go out of bear form to heal....

So I'm still working on the Drews, Once I get to ilevel 840 or so, I'll need to see if I have any chance in Mythics.
    Sweet* teams - <unGankable> - Kil'Jaeden US Alliance - 10x Shamans, 9x DKs 1x Pally, 10x Drews