Close
Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Build Review

Default Build Review

I have done it a few times. Trying to find a good balance for gaming and work (AutoCAD, REVIT, Navis/ BIM).
    Looking for any input on anything differently. Would probably be 5boxing max. Thanks.

Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz H4 LGA-1151 8 MB Cache
    Corsair CW-9060025-WW Hydro Series H100i v2 Extrem
    Asus Z170-PRO LGA 1151 DDR4 PCIE 3.0 USB 3.1 SATA
    Samsung 500GB 2.5" 850 EVO SATA 6Gbps SSD
    Western Digital WD2003FZEX 2TB SATA3 7200RPM 64MB
    Asus STRIX-GTX1080-8G-GAMING ROG 8GB GDDR5X PCI-e
    Corsair CP-9020044-NA AX860 860W Professional Plat
    D739 DDR4-2133 16GB PC-17000 Memory (4, 64GB)
    Earthen Ring - Horde - 7 boxing
    Cuddle Buddies - 4DK, 1 Holy Paladin, 1 Disc Priest, and 1 Resto Shaman | Armory 5v5 Cuddle Buddies
    ex Kilrogg - Horde

Team Acid Wuvablez - 4DK + 1 holy pally | Acidburning, Crashohvride, Acidloves, Acidhugs, & Acidcuddles | Armory 5v5 Love You Bye Bye
    ex Garona - Horde
    Team Acid Dessert - Quad Shaman | Acidcake, Acidfudge, Acidicecream, & Acidmoarprz
    Team Acid Hackers - DK + 3 Rets | Acidburning, Crashohvride, Ceralkillah, & Loardnikon

IMO, the H100i is overkill. I have the H80i in two machines with i7-6700K's and even running both Prime95 torture test (heat max) and Kombustor GPU stress test at a 4.4GHz OC, I can't make the CPU go over about 71C on the "quiet" heat pump speed. If I bump that to the "performance" setting, it hardly makes it over 60C.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Depending on what you are doing in your CAD programs, you may get some rather rubbish performance from the consumer card This depends on the programs you are using and in some cases (e.g. AutoCAD) which addons you happen to be running, and the work you are actually doing within those applications.

Despite a lot of opinion to the contrary, there are some actual hardware differences between the consumer GPU's and the "Professional" GPU's, although these might be relatively minor, but they are definitely aimed at moving certain functions that would normally only be performed in professional apps to the hardware, rather than software rendered. Certain applications also only allow access to specific rendering settings if you happen to be running the professional GPU drivers. You used to be able to modify the consumer GPU's to accept the professional drivers, which would increase the performance of the consumer card, although not to the level of the professional card, which had the hardware support for some functions, but in the testing of old, it would sometimes show a 200% odd increase over an unmodded consumer GPU, and then the prof GPU on top with another 200% perf increase again.

On the other hand, gaming on a professional card has increased in performance dramatically, although they tend to not have the optimised settings that you get in the consumer cards, and the clockspeeds tend to be lower off the bat, and they are just not really designed to get as hot so you hit the ceilings a lot.

The best of both worlds would be to have an "affordable" middle of the road professional card and a nice gaming card for the down time. Only really applies if you happen to be using applications/features that would actually benefit greatly from a prof card - i.e. something that takes 5 seconds on a consumer card, but 1 second on a professional card may not seem like much of a compromise, except if you happen to hit that same feature 10 times a minute, 4 hours a day. You can usually get them to play nice in the same system; this sometimes takes a bit of initial grunt work determining slots/settings/drivers and cables. Usually a monitor with dual inputs works well or some kind of signal switch, so you can change over cards when you want to (reboots usually ensue). Ability to disable slots in the BIOS can help immensely in some cards.

YMMV. Dual use in the CAD/3D world, with gaming, always comes down to tradeoffs, and some investigation into what you are actually doing.

Quote Originally Posted by mbox_bob View Post
    Depending on what you are doing in your CAD programs, you may get some rather rubbish performance from the consumer card This depends on the programs you are using and in some cases (e.g. AutoCAD) which addons you happen to be running, and the work you are actually doing within those applications.

Despite a lot of opinion to the contrary, there are some actual hardware differences between the consumer GPU's and the "Professional" GPU's, although these might be relatively minor, but they are definitely aimed at moving certain functions that would normally only be performed in professional apps to the hardware, rather than software rendered. Certain applications also only allow access to specific rendering settings if you happen to be running the professional GPU drivers. You used to be able to modify the consumer GPU's to accept the professional drivers, which would increase the performance of the consumer card, although not to the level of the professional card, which had the hardware support for some functions, but in the testing of old, it would sometimes show a 200% odd increase over an unmodded consumer GPU, and then the prof GPU on top with another 200% perf increase again.

On the other hand, gaming on a professional card has increased in performance dramatically, although they tend to not have the optimised settings that you get in the consumer cards, and the clockspeeds tend to be lower off the bat, and they are just not really designed to get as hot so you hit the ceilings a lot.

The best of both worlds would be to have an "affordable" middle of the road professional card and a nice gaming card for the down time. Only really applies if you happen to be using applications/features that would actually benefit greatly from a prof card - i.e. something that takes 5 seconds on a consumer card, but 1 second on a professional card may not seem like much of a compromise, except if you happen to hit that same feature 10 times a minute, 4 hours a day. You can usually get them to play nice in the same system; this sometimes takes a bit of initial grunt work determining slots/settings/drivers and cables. Usually a monitor with dual inputs works well or some kind of signal switch, so you can change over cards when you want to (reboots usually ensue). Ability to disable slots in the BIOS can help immensely in some cards.

YMMV. Dual use in the CAD/3D world, with gaming, always comes down to tradeoffs, and some investigation into what you are actually doing.
    I appreciate this post.

What I find frustrating with Autodesk is hard to find information. As an example:
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...anuf=all&opt=1

then they clause it with this:
    Autodesk certification testing focuses on workstation-grade hardware, as identified by the hardware vendor. Testing and designation as Certified or Recommended does not guarantee that a particular device is workstation-grade or that it will meet a user's particular needs. Test results are valid only for the tested combination of hardware and driver. Certified or Recommended status does not guarantee that the hardware will perform acceptably with other drivers.

Again, thanks for this post. I will do a little more research. I remember doing this a few years ago with Autodesk.
    Earthen Ring - Horde - 7 boxing
    Cuddle Buddies - 4DK, 1 Holy Paladin, 1 Disc Priest, and 1 Resto Shaman | Armory 5v5 Cuddle Buddies
    ex Kilrogg - Horde

Team Acid Wuvablez - 4DK + 1 holy pally | Acidburning, Crashohvride, Acidloves, Acidhugs, & Acidcuddles | Armory 5v5 Love You Bye Bye
    ex Garona - Horde
    Team Acid Dessert - Quad Shaman | Acidcake, Acidfudge, Acidicecream, & Acidmoarprz
    Team Acid Hackers - DK + 3 Rets | Acidburning, Crashohvride, Ceralkillah, & Loardnikon