Close
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Default How do you manage different key maps for character sets?

If you have different key maps assigned to various character sets, how do you make sure that the right key maps are turned on/off in Activate Maps?

Umm... I'm actually not aware of a "toggle all" type function existing for situations where you have loads of custom keymaps that need to be active.

As you said the key maps that are toggled on and off are managed by the Mapped Key "Activate Maps" in your Always On key map. It has 2 steps. One for turning all the necessary key maps off and one for turning them on, both through key map state actions. If you open Activate Maps, and look at both steps, it's easy enough to see how it's done. You could just add actions to turn on/off your custom key maps.

I feel I should point out that this is not necessary in the case of virtualized Key Maps as used in ISBoxer pro configurations (by default at least), as technically those key maps are never on to begin with nor do they have binds, apart from Combat Hotkeys, which naturally needs to be toggled.

Quote Originally Posted by Wubsie View Post
    If you open Activate Maps, and look at both steps, it's easy enough to see how it's done. You could just add actions to turn on/off your custom key maps.
    Yeah, it is easy but those actions are global. I need a way to activate Keymap1 and Keymap2 for character set 1. For character set 2 I need to activate Keymap3 and Keymap4.

You can specify which keymaps load initially for a character set but you can't toggle the keymaps in Activate Maps based on the character set. In other words, I want a way to toggle the keymaps that load with the character set.
    Last edited by sync00 : 09-12-2016 at 04:06 PM

You can set either a white or blacklist for Key Maps per Character Set (in the bottom right pane of the Character Set settings), or you can switch to the Pro System.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

As MiRai said, the Pro system is the easiest way to do this as you don't have to manage it.

Second option is whitelist, which is what I did before switching. That way, you just enable everything and only the whitelisted keymaps apply to the specified characters/sets.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    You can set either a white or blacklist for Key Maps per Character Set (in the bottom right pane of the Character Set settings), or you can switch to the Pro System.
    Thanks for replying in both forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    As MiRai said, the Pro system is the easiest way to do this as you don't have to manage it.

Second option is whitelist, which is what I did before switching. That way, you just enable everything and only the whitelisted keymaps apply to the specified characters/sets.
    I use the Pro system but my profile is used by two people with different keybinds. So I have 2 Combat Hotkeys. The blacklist will be fine.

To add to all the others, I only have 2 key maps that have hotkeys associated (and one of these is Always On), this is mainly due to it being a virtualised setup, but, you don't need to "go pro" to get the same thing. If the hotkey calls a Do Mapped Key Action on another key map/mapped key, and even if it called 15 mapped keys, only the ones loaded by your team/characters would execute. So you could assign only the desired key maps to your team/characters and it would all work.
    The only ones you actually need to disable/enable with the Activate Maps are the ones with hotkeys. The others wont do anything if they can't execute.
    If you set the state off/on for all key maps (i.e. unload/load them all), then you would run into issues with this setup without the use of the white/blacklist.
    Last edited by mbox_bob : 09-12-2016 at 07:42 PM

Quote Originally Posted by mbox_bob View Post
    To add to all the others, I only have 2 key maps that have hotkeys associated (and one of these is Always On), this is mainly due to it being a virtualised setup, but, you don't need to "go pro" to get the same thing. If the hotkey calls a Do Mapped Key Action on another key map/mapped key, and even if it called 15 mapped keys, only the ones loaded by your team/characters would execute. So you could assign only the desired key maps to your team/characters and it would all work.
    The only ones you actually need to disable/enable with the Activate Maps are the ones with hotkeys. The others wont do anything if they can't execute.
    If you set the state off/on for all key maps (i.e. unload/load them all), then you would run into issues with this setup without the use of the white/blacklist.
    That sounds interesting but I'm not getting how to apply it to my situation. Is there a way to set up combat maps for two people so that each person gets their own keybinds that doesn't require the use of the white/blacklist?

You are still trying to manage two peoples different settings, and you have multiple key maps with hotkeys (at a minimum 3, one being Always On), and only 1 of the 2 remaining to be active at the one time. The easiest option is to use a white/black list for the hotkey key maps.

If you really didn't want to go the white/black list route, You would need to split the Always On -> Activate Repeat mapped key into two different key maps. 1 with the hotkey, and 1 with the actions that it actually perform, which you call with a Do Mapped Key Action, and then the appropriate team needs to have that Key Map with the actions in it loaded all the time. This is pretty much the same thing as I was suggesting with the separating of the hotkeys from the actions. The Activate Maps mapped key is still a mapped key with a hotkey and actions.

ATEOTD, I figured the only reason I was disabling key maps was to stop the hotkeys from triggering an action, so if the hotkeys are separated from the actions they are performing, then I only need to disable the hotkeys themselves.

*enable/disable is the same as load/unload which is the same as state On/Off. The load/unload is probably the most applicable term.